2nd Gen. Dodge Ram - No Drivetrain Discussion for all Dodge Rams from 1994 through 2002. Please, no engine or drivetrain discussion.

Pics of power seat repair

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2009, 08:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pics of power seat repair

Thanks to everyone who posted about repairing power seat motors. I used that info and fixed mine. One needed the metal plates soldered together. You can see them in the pic that shows the brushes. Heating the plates with a solder iron will draw solder down between them. The other motor had cracked and broken magnets. I'm not sure how that happened, but I cleaned out all the pieces and even with a big chunk missing it still works. At the end, I replaced the 20 amp circuit breaker with a 20 amp fuse. So, if things go badly under there the fuse will blow and that's it. Getting the roll pin out is the biggest challenge in the beginning. I used a big pair of channel lock pliers as a press and a small hammer and punch where that didn't work. When reassembling the motors it's easiest to pull the field case off of the armature, then reinsert the armature into the endcap and brushes. That way you have room to pull the brushes back so the armature will slide in between them. Then carefully slide the magnetic field case back over the armature, then line it up on the base, making sure the little driveshaft gets lined up inside.

Another thing I had a chance to fix was the spring wires under the seat cushion. When I removed the cushion and turned it over, all these little wires were hanging out. I removed the cover and pulled the metal frame out to see what that was all about. The wires are supposed to be tied off at both ends to a small plastic covered metal rod. One end rod slips under a bracket and the other rod is held by 4 pretty stout springs. I cut all the wires the same length and rewrapped them around the rod. That shortened them by about 3/4" but just meant the springs had to be streched that much more. It all worked out in the end. I'm thinking a big man owned this truck which would account for the seat support wires being broke, as well as, the seat up/down motors being shorted out.
Attached Thumbnails Pics of power seat repair-hpim0839.jpg   Pics of power seat repair-hpim0835.jpg   Pics of power seat repair-hpim0841.jpg