2nd Gen. Dodge Ram - No Drivetrain Discussion for all Dodge Rams from 1994 through 2002. Please, no engine or drivetrain discussion.

Pics of the new truck

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2010, 10:39 AM
Chapter President

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pics of the new truck

96 2500 5 speed 263K miles and runs great. $3500 with the DV's and the Air Dog 150 on it. any input on some other thing i could do to it would be great. i an working on fixing the paint my self for now untill i can get it repainted.

Old 01-03-2010, 05:38 PM
Chapter President

There was a time that when you posted something people would reply and give input. i haven't been in the 2nd gen much but i know that with the 3rd gen guys i would have at least one or 2 replies by now. sorry just looking for ideas and input. i have been searching on here for a few days and have picked up some good ideas from other postes but still wanting more. anything would help. anyways i'll get off my soap box and change my manpon now sorry guys.
Old 01-03-2010, 06:18 PM

Nice truck, ive always liked the look of 2wd reg cabs. As far as moding goes, it would probly run better with stock DVs vs those lazer cuts, thats what ive heard atleast. A fuel plate and gsk of some kind would be good, might need to look into a new clutch soon if you start adding fuel. Im not the most knowlegable but im sure others will have some input.

good luck, matt
Old 01-03-2010, 06:31 PM
Chapter President

Originally Posted by 12v rollincole
Nice truck, ive always liked the look of 2wd reg cabs. As far as moding goes, it would probly run better with stock DVs vs those lazer cuts, thats what ive heard atleast. A fuel plate and gsk of some kind would be good, might need to look into a new clutch soon if you start adding fuel. Im not the most knowlegable but im sure others will have some input.

good luck, matt
I think it may have 3gsk on it now but the guy wasn't sure. they were on there before he got it. not sure how i would find out but it would be nice to know. and it seems run good with the lazer cut DV's on it. it seems to have lag up till about 1500-2000 rpm's then it kicks in. thats why i want to get the grind the fuel plate. i was thinking that may help get it spooled up faster. but i'm not sure this is my first 12v.
Old 01-03-2010, 06:32 PM
Administrator / Scooter Bum

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts
Looks sweet.
A "Blank Canvas".

Congrats.
Old 01-03-2010, 07:58 PM
Pickin on the wrong admin...

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Looks good...You got a very good deal also..You could run LC but you have to twick the AFC more finer.On the 180 pump the 181 DV would of been prefect.You may need alittle more adjustment to your AFC for the LC...That could be the reason your getting a turbo lag....Are you getting alot of black before it kicks in at 1500 RPM??

Found this writeup in the DTR store on AFC fine tuning.

http://store.dieseltruckresource.com/pumpmods.html
Old 01-03-2010, 09:24 PM
Chapter President

Originally Posted by Diesel Dave2
Looks good...You got a very good deal also..You could run LC but you have to twick the AFC more finer.On the 180 pump the 181 DV would of been prefect.You may need alittle more adjustment to your AFC for the LC...That could be the reason your getting a turbo lag....Are you getting alot of black before it kicks in at 1500 RPM??

Found this writeup in the DTR store on AFC fine tuning.

http://store.dieseltruckresource.com/pumpmods.html
not much smoke at all. but i haven't driven an old 12 valve in about 7 years. only been in my 04, so maybe i'm just making things up in my head. i wouldn't say its alot of lag its just that i feel a power spike between 1500 and 2K rpm's. Maybe that is normal for this old beast.
Old 01-03-2010, 09:35 PM

Oh boy...You will like being back in the 12V mods...You could turn up your fuel a bit..See where your AFC housing is at (centre or full forward)...Could even check your star screw position...I wonder what plate you have?Got the gauges in yet??Nice little upgrade would be injectors....If you find 215 injectors for dirt cheap,that sure improves the throttle response.I think the stock injectors on a 180 pump is 192.Another upgrade that really gets the truck going is 3k or 4k RPM pump springs.
Old 01-03-2010, 09:42 PM
Chapter President

Oh boy...You will like being back in the 12V mods...You could turn up your fuel a bit..See where your AFC housing is at (centre or full forward)...Could even check your star screw position...I wonder what plate you have?Got the gauges in yet??Nice little upgrade would be injectors....If you find 215 injectors for dirt cheap,that sure improves the throttle response.I think the stock injectors on a 180 pump is 192.Another upgrade that really gets the truck going is 3k or 4k RPM pump springs.
Ok, i'm gonna have to ask yall to talk to me like i have never had a CTD before. i don't know anything about the 12V motors alls i know is the Common Rail stuff. so if yall could stupid it up a little for me. i am getting the blank look fast.
Old 01-03-2010, 09:45 PM
Chapter President

KDP been fixed? I'm sure that with that many miles it has been. Nice looking truck.
Old 01-03-2010, 09:50 PM

Originally Posted by Fire Rescue124
Ok, i'm gonna have to ask yall to talk to me like i have never had a CTD before. i don't know anything about the 12V motors alls i know is the Common Rail stuff. so if yall could stupid it up a little for me. i am getting the blank look fast.
Thats ok......I have zero knowledge on common rails....We will make it very simple...I guess the first thing to do is check you plate and position..That should be your first upgrade(your call on this one..I have a zero plate on my truck, which you could grind down at home).The 180 pump is a very good pump...I have the 175 pump thats just a bit different on its internals..
Old 01-03-2010, 09:52 PM

Originally Posted by crobtex
KDP been fixed? I'm sure that with that many miles it has been. Nice looking truck.
Opps... I always forgot that one.....Maybe that should be the first fix or check...Don't want to do all this work and land up the pin fell out..
Old 01-03-2010, 10:02 PM
Chapter President

Thats ok......I have zero knowledge on common rails....We will make it very simple...I guess the first thing to do is check you plate and position..That should be your first upgrade(your call on this one..I have a zero plate on my truck, which you could grind down at home).The 180 pump is a very good pump...I have the 175 pump thats just a bit different on its internals..
Ok i'm going in to Hamilton Diesel to get the guy i got the truck from to grind the plate down first thing this week. and i see that everyone has timing done. is it something i should do or is it to much right now. i know i need a clutch and gauges but i also know how to be nice to it till then. also i have no idea about the KDP i was thinking that is was in the 24V not the 12's but like i said i know nothing about these motors. and can i take a turbo off 04 when i get the 62 and put the stock one on my 12V? and how does the SB Con OFE do in the 5-speeds? i like it in my CR but i am starting to over power it.
Old 01-03-2010, 10:08 PM

Thats right...Also forgot the timing...I have mine set to 15.5 degrees..I installed the SB Con OFE in my truck....I like it...its a very good clutch...This will also depend on what HP your looking to get,you may want a DD clutch if your going for high HP....I'm not sure of the 04 to 96 turbo swap,but someone will chime in to give you details on that one...
Old 01-03-2010, 10:16 PM
Chapter President

Thats right...Also forgot the timing...I have mine set to 15.5 degrees..I installed the SB Con OFE in my truck....I like it...its a very good clutch...This will also depend on what HP your looking to get,you may want a DD clutch if your going for high HP....I'm not sure of the 04 to 96 turbo swap,but someone will chime in to give you details on that one...
i don't think i will be looking to get that high with the HP in the 12V i will do that with the CR . so i think the OFE will be ok for me.

Quick Reply: Pics of the new truck