2nd Gen. Dodge Ram - No Drivetrain Discussion for all Dodge Rams from 1994 through 2002. Please, no engine or drivetrain discussion.

PCU Code 500??? HELP!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2006, 06:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
PCU Code 500??? HELP!!!!!

My wife came home this evening and said that the hvac fan was not working and that the ABS light was on on the dash.
Digging a little further, I see that no the fan does indeed not work. And yes, the ABS AND Air Bag lights are on. The door locks dont work. The windows dont work. The lights work. The instrument cluster reports. I pulled the fuse panel. The blower motor fuse was fine. BUT, the power door lock fuse was blown. I tried to replace it but couldn't install a replacement without it blowing immediately with a nice lite spark.
I checked the codes and only had a "500" stored.

What??!?! HELP ME! The weather for tomrrow isn't pleasant.
Old 01-17-2006, 06:44 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
obviously you have a short somewhere and some serious electrical problems...I however am no expert on such things...maybe someone else will chime in with experience.....good luck.

i know i know...thanks for speaking the obvious right???
Old 01-17-2006, 06:49 PM
Administrator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
P-0500 is the speed sensor on top of the rear differential.
It will cause the ABS light to come on, will also make the speedometer not work at low speeds, if at all.

Don't see how that is related to the other problems, so I'd have to go with a short somewhere,
most likely in a door, or the bit of wire between the door and the cab.

phox
Old 01-17-2006, 07:09 PM

Ok. So unrelated issues. Speed sensor bad? Dirty? My wife laying a patch? The fan worked Sunday morning. I started the truck for about 20 minutes to let it thaw some. Didn't run it at all yesterday.
Old 01-17-2006, 09:54 PM
Administrator

Now I'm wondering out loud.
Does anything have a direct connection these days, or do they all run through the PCM?

Perhaps one of those 3 bundles of wires at the PCM has gotten pinched somewhere, and the problem items all happen to run through that particular bundle?
Or, bad connection at the PCM for one or more of those bundles of wires?

Again, just thinking out loud.

phox
Old 01-18-2006, 08:18 AM

Question Update........ Remote starter/alarm??

We didn't run the truck all weekend although I remote started it Sunday as I was leaving to go to the shop to thaw it some. When I got home, I noticed it was partially thawed so that worked.

So Tuesday morning, since the E30 was making drive line noise I would take it and leave her the truck. I remote start it to warm it, no apparent problems. She obvioulsly forgot to insert the ignition key before hitting the brake as I heard the turck shut off after she got in it. It quickly restarts but she tells me that the blower wasn’t working in the morning either.
So I go out last night, open the door and the alarm goes off. Ok, need to figure out how to shut off. Hmmm…. Alarm armed but the doors aren't locked? Odd. Finally push enough buttons to get it shut off. Get in, start the truck. Sure enough no blower. ABS and Airbag lights on on the cluster. Windows don't work.

This morning, I'm taking the truck. Plan to call my dealer to get it in soon. No heater means no defrost. Remote start it, go out and get in with about 4 minutes left on the timer. Wow… cab is moderately warm. Flick the blower switch, HEAT! Blows fine. Huh. No ABS light, no Air bag light. Try the windows, yep they work. Door locks still don’t but there's no fuse in there. Oh great, so now it's an intermittent problem which will inevitably leave me (or worse, my wife) stranded somewhere.

When the truck is running under remote operation, the parking lights and dash lights are on. So I put the key in, turn the ignition on. At this point it is still running under remote operation, until I hit the brake at which time the remote box shuts down or relinquishes control or something. If the key is not in and on, the truck will shut down. With the key in and on, the parking lights and dash lights go out (SOP) when the brake is pressed as well but the truck keeps running.

BUT! The blower motor shuts off, the Airbag and ABS lights come on and the windows stop working!!!! ***!!! Shut the truck off, remove the key. Try to start the truck with the remote. Push the start button twice, parking lights come on, wait and go out, again per SOP. But ignition sequence never fires off. Truck doesn't start. I can start it with the key but not the remote now.

Now I'm thinking that it's related to the remote starter/alarm system.
Old 01-18-2006, 08:36 AM

Originally Posted by xp8103
Now I'm thinking that it's related to the remote starter/alarm system.
That would be the first thing I unplugged as far as diagnosis goes. I've heard bad things and not much good about remote starters.
Old 01-19-2006, 09:57 AM

Resolution, or just about....

Had my mechanic take a look at it last night (he's a great guy and invaluable). Initially he thought it was a bad ignition switch. So we took it out and took it apart, cleaned all the contacts and put it back in. Still nothing. Started tracing wires and sure enough found a fried wire going thru the side of the cab to the driver's door. It became apparent that either the door lock motor or some relay or something related to the locks was shorting. He cut the power wire to the mechanism, taped everything up and poof. Everything's fine. All systems work, all lights out. We'll take the panel off sometime later. I just needed to truck to work.