2nd Gen. Dodge Ram - No Drivetrain Discussion for all Dodge Rams from 1994 through 2002. Please, no engine or drivetrain discussion.

Part number and advice needed re turbo-intercooler connection

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2010, 11:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Part number and advice needed re turbo-intercooler connection

I blew a flexible rubber hose link (?) off the first section of pipe coming from the turbo to the intercooler and am wondering what the part number is. Where is the best place to get it? When I removed it to clean the oil off the pipe, I noticed oil inside the tubes leading to the intercooler. I took the truck to a heavy truck diesel mechanic and he said that this was normal. Is he correct? I was afraid that the bearings inside the turbo are about to fail. I checked for play in the turbo rotor (blades) and they had very little play in/out and no play from side to side. By the way, the diesel mechanic cleaned the rubber link and pipe connections with brake cleaner - does this degrade the rubber? He also noticed that the pipes had what looked to be a black coating on them where the hoses were clamped over them. Should this be clean metal where the rubber hoses clamp over or should this indeed be covered with a black coating? It seemed that the rubber hoses popped off of the pipes if he tightened the heck out of them. Feedback would be appreciated.
Old 10-20-2010, 04:36 AM

Received 142 Likes on 108 Posts
They can pop off if they're not tight.....and they need to be tight. I'm sure the diesel guy knew what he was doing and brake cleaner was probably the best to use since it removes all oil residue. You dont need to replace the boot connector unless its torn or cracked. Cant say about the black surface since I dont remember what mine looked like when I had them off. The oil you saw was probably just from what little amount squeaked past the turbo oil seals during idling too. As long as there was excessive amounts.
Old 10-20-2010, 06:45 AM

When replacing boots, it goes easier, if you use cheap hair spray as a lube to get them on. The black you saw may have been that.
Old 10-20-2010, 06:49 AM

Here is one, of many, places to get new boots and clamps from.

http://www.shopatron.com/products/ca...73.20176.0.0.0
Old 10-20-2010, 10:39 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
The stock boots are cheap. If you'd ever seen one under high boost it would scare the tar out of you.
They puff up like a balloon.
That's a big problem with the lower passenger side boot, when it expands it rubs on the sharp edge of the fender sheet metal and can get cut.
If you're going to use stock boots definitely bend the sheet metal back.
Better yet use a higher quality aftermarket boot.
I get mine here> http://www.pdrdiesel.com/catalog/Int...amps-29-1.html
Old 10-20-2010, 12:42 PM

Received 142 Likes on 108 Posts
Originally Posted by infidel
The stock boots are cheap. If you'd ever seen one under high boost it would scare the tar out of you.
They puff up like a balloon.
That's a big problem with the lower passenger side boot, when it expands it rubs on the sharp edge of the fender sheet metal and can get cut.
If you're going to use stock boots definitely bend the sheet metal back.
Better yet use a higher quality aftermarket boot.
I get mine here> http://www.pdrdiesel.com/catalog/Int...amps-29-1.html
Exactly. I bent my sheet metal back away from the boots. And I hear PDR has some nice aftermarket boots too.
Old 10-20-2010, 12:58 PM
Chapter President

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Like Bill said, seeing the boots swell on the dyno just about makes cringe. I upgraded all the boots on mine just for safe measure and curled the sheet metal back to make a nice smooth surface if the boot was ever to swell that big again. So far there isn't even a mark on the metal or on the boot after I upgraded. I got mine from PEAK.. Just noticed the set was on sale.