2nd Gen. Dodge Ram - No Drivetrain Discussion for all Dodge Rams from 1994 through 2002. Please, no engine or drivetrain discussion.

Overheat due to "puke" bottle picts

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2005, 10:26 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Overheat due to "puke" bottle picts

Top one is the fan side, bottom is the "front" of the radiator. This is probably the sixth I've done this year. Guy was trying to pull a large fifth wheel up our eastern pass in 100+ heat. The bottle had NEVER been emptied and the truck has over 100k on it. As most of you know, the first time you removed the bottle there was a zip tie under the cap. This one was still on!! Degreased, power washed, degreased again, washed, acid cleaner, wash. Relocated the bottle. Should have taken an after shot, but it looked like new so you know what the looks like.
Old 09-07-2005, 10:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
and for you guys that own motorhomes with rear radiators , same thing happens with them and any oil leaks or breather tube blow-by.
Old 09-07-2005, 10:46 PM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
any info on relocating the bottle?
what do i need and where to put it?
Old 09-07-2005, 11:02 PM

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
Yep, I've cleaned a pile of those, too. That was sure a great idea with the bottle.
Old 09-07-2005, 11:03 PM

Many different ways yfz. See my photos for what I did to mine. If you don't care about driveway drips, just remove the bottle and extend the hose down below the radiator.
Old 09-07-2005, 11:12 PM

I like mopar1973man's setup the best. It's cheap but highly effective. Check out his gallery for pics. I did it to mine and I love it.
Old 09-07-2005, 11:20 PM

so bascially then just get a few feet of heater hose and move it away from the radiator?
Old 09-07-2005, 11:34 PM

Moparmans set up work just fine I'm sure......I just have a bit of a problem with plumbing pipe running over the top of my engine. I'm just a bit picky I guess......of course if he used AN fittings and braided line maybe it would appeal to my racing side.

yfz, that will work. Just be warned that over time the heater hose will probably have to be replaced as the oil will cause it to break down. Home Depots will have some oil resistant tubing if you want it to last.
Old 09-07-2005, 11:54 PM

thanks guy's.
Old 09-08-2005, 01:13 AM
Administrator

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts
See the link in my signature.
Old 09-08-2005, 06:00 AM

There's something I don't understand. The bottle is behind the fan which is blowing air across the engine. And the while underway, the prevailing wind is blowing thru the radiator toward the engine. So how does the oil vapor make its way to the front of the radiator? Are you sure this isn't road grime and airborne debris?
Old 09-08-2005, 06:52 AM

Cool Crankcase Vent Relocated - UnPainted Version

Originally Posted by rockwithjason
I like mopar1973man's setup the best. It's cheap but highly effective. Check out his gallery for pics. I did it to mine and I love it.
Thanx...

You knew I couldn't resist it...

The rest of the pics are in the gallery to aid in design of...
Old 09-08-2005, 07:03 AM

Exclamation

Originally Posted by Commatoze
There's something I don't understand. The bottle is behind the fan which is blowing air across the engine. And the while underway, the prevailing wind is blowing thru the radiator toward the engine. So how does the oil vapor make its way to the front of the radiator? Are you sure this isn't road grime and airborne debris?
Steep angle descent, or hard braking will cause the puke bottle to spill on the face of the fan and radiator. Under hard braking I've see about 1/2 quart come out of the stock setup. (Try to avoid hitting a deer). Also going out firewood cutting I will drive in steep country. I've lost over 2-3 quart from orignal puke bottle. (What a mess! - Hood, Radiator, fan, front of engine... )

So that lead to design the vent tube I did... As the front of truck/engine tilts downward the end of the tube will rise (with angle) so the tube now is highier than the front of the engine and can't puke oil! It would have to force it up 2 feet of 1/2 PVC now!

In the 25K I've had it now it's only left few drops of oil on the garage floor... If you really want to you can remount you puke bottle on the end of the tube again...

My tech at the dealer love's the idea and is passing the design on...
Old 09-08-2005, 09:37 AM

What's wrong with the zip tie still being on the end of the hose? I just did my first breather bottle routine (truck is new to me but has 73K on it). The zip tie was still there but it looked like it was just there so that the "top" of the bottle stays on the tubing. Any problems with it there?

I'm still debating what to do about mine...seems like there are a lot of solutions.

Thanks,
John
Old 09-08-2005, 10:39 AM

My radiator was just as bad as that one above if not worse when I cleaned it in July. Now with the 180* t-stat even towing in 95* plus heat she stays nice and cool.
I got rid of the puke bottle when I first got the truck in '03...just used some of that clear fiber reinforced hose from Lowes and ran it down behind the front axle...great fix !

Quick Reply: Overheat due to "puke" bottle picts