2nd Gen. Dodge Ram - No Drivetrain Discussion for all Dodge Rams from 1994 through 2002. Please, no engine or drivetrain discussion.

Overhead Console wiring

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2012, 10:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Overhead Console wiring

Hi, I have bought a Digital Overhead Console for my truck (02 2500) from eBay and I want to install in my truck, My truck didn't have this originally so there is probably no harness. I have availability to a Durango of the same vintage so I was wondering if the harness is the same. All I want to work is the compass and outside temp. If the rest works well that is just bonus. Does anyone know how much or if the harness is in my truck or if the Durango harness will work? Could someone who knows or done this to their truck send me a quick email that would be great as I want to get started on it.
Thanks.
Old 03-10-2012, 12:16 PM

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
I don't think the Durango harness would work due to the different lengths involved. Also, it isn't usually a simple matter of just getting an "overhead console" harness and just plugging it into a spot on the existing dash harness. In all likelihood, it's probably a complete different dash harness that you need, and it may or may not need to plug into a complete different front body harness so the ambient temp sensor will have a place to plug into.

I would suggest you get a Factory Service Manual and look at the diagram for the overhead console to see what all the wires are, then hunt through your truck to see what is there and what is needed.

Finding the right connectors from a donor vehicle, then just adding the needed wiring in between might be a far easier way to go than trying to find complete harnesses. While you are in the manual, you need to find out if that console is connected to the CTM or any other module, and if your existing module will do the job.
Old 03-10-2012, 03:02 PM

Ya, nothing is simple is it. The Durango harness is different. I wish someone could tell me if there is a partial harness or a plug somewhere so I have a place to start. It appears that these were all different, I was hoping there was a plug in the pillar that may be for that and so just a harness to go up to the overhead and a temp sensor might be what I needed. If anyone knows if it is a matter of plugging in the harness sing out, in that case I would buy the proper one from Dodge.
Old 03-10-2012, 05:29 PM

If the truck was built towards the end of 02, Ma Chrysler was using up parts so I wouldn't be surprised if the harness is there.

My 02 was built very close to the end of production before the 3rd Gens came out and there is all kinds of missing/added things on it. They were cleaning out the bins at the end.

Jeff
Old 03-12-2012, 01:38 PM

Well I bought it now so I have to hook it up or never hear the end of it, if you know what I mean. Is it a separate harness or integrated in the main harness? Anyone know that? Does the display plug into the ECM on a diesel and give mileage and all that stuff or is it just a compass/outside temp display? I thought I may be able just to power it up and have the compass work but not sure what two wires do that. I guess I could do the same for the outside temp. Anyone know what or where the harness would go into under the dash? I also have the auto dimming mirror so I assiume it will be in the same harness. Anyone know for sure?
Old 03-12-2012, 02:53 PM

Received 152 Likes on 131 Posts
I've had the a-pillar off for gauges and there are a few wires running up under the headliner there, I imagine for the OH console and possibly even clearance lights as my truck is a SLT Plus.

You know you will also need the temp sensor that mounts under the hood at the hood latch and possibly the CTM for the compass, I imagine. I would bet the harness comes from that.
Old 03-12-2012, 02:56 PM

Well I will start by yankin off the pillar. Where would the ctm be? This is beginning to be troublesome.
Old 03-12-2012, 06:05 PM

Its under the center jump seat. There may be more than one version ie standard and premium.

Can you access an FSM?
Old 03-12-2012, 06:08 PM

Well not sure what fsm stands for.
Old 03-13-2012, 07:53 AM
Administrator

Received 172 Likes on 130 Posts
FSM is Factory Service Manual
Old 03-13-2012, 08:32 AM

I think I can get one.
Old 03-13-2012, 10:51 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Get one on cd here> http://www.genosgarage.com/products.asp?dept=241
All of the 2nd gen head liners I've pulled down have the overhead wiring there.
Cheaper for them to use one harness on all the trucks even if they don't have the overhead.
You'll need the air temp sender though, wiring to it should be there also.
Old 03-13-2012, 12:29 PM

Originally Posted by Cholmes
Well not sure what fsm stands for.
Sorry about that!

If you can decipher wiring diagrams there's a big section in there that will get you thru it. Definitely worth it. I got a used set for around 40 bucks a few years back.
Old 03-13-2012, 01:51 PM

So if the harness was there where would it be? Up under the liner or in the a pillar? If it is under the liner, she's coming down! Give me an idea where to look.
Old 03-13-2012, 04:39 PM

You will be looking for a pink (PK)20 ga and a dark blue with white tracer (DB/WT)20ga heading up the a-pillar to the headliner, possibly, or a twisted pair of violet/brown (VT/BR)20 ga and white/black (WH/BL)20 ga that come from the PCM,(powertrain control module). The CTM(central timer module) under the center seat sends a black 22ga. wire to the O/H console (highline version)

The factory service manual pages you want are 8W-49-1 to 8W-49-6.

I'd pull off the a-pillar covers and look there first. The headliner is a pita to get out!

Quick Reply: Overhead Console wiring