2nd Gen. Dodge Ram - No Drivetrain Discussion for all Dodge Rams from 1994 through 2002. Please, no engine or drivetrain discussion.

Overhead Console Installation

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2007, 06:44 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Overhead Console Installation

While I was finding other misc parts at the Auto wreckers I managed to get ahold of a overhead console to put in my very plain-jane interior. I like the functionality of having little map lights that you can turn on and off and place to stash the sunnies :0) I was unable to get the wiring harness, so now I have to figure out how to install the electrical.

My question is: I think the wiring harness has three wires that run up to the overhead console... where do they plug in under the dash? Has anybody done this? Removed theirs? Added one as I am trying to do?

I've also seen a great photo of someone who had installed all kinds of extra switches to control other lights on the truck...

Now all I've got to do is figure out how to get the headliner out of a 97 extra cab with out the little side doors <yikes>

Thanks
Sean.
Old 11-13-2007, 07:26 PM

My wiring runs along side my cab lights under the headliner, then down the pillar. I think all you need is 12v constant power, because the overhead console lights work as a switch when you push them.
Old 11-13-2007, 07:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just replaced mine because the light switches were bad. You are correct , there are three wires going to it. Black wire is the ground and I believe the pink wire is a constant hot to turn the light on by the overhead light switch and the third ( can't remember what color) feeds power directly to the bulb when the doors are opened and bypasses the overhead switches As far as if you can plug the harness in under the dash I don't know because mine came with this option, but no reason why you cannot wire it yourself to make it work.
Old 11-16-2007, 12:05 AM

Thanks for the input guys. I was kinda hoping that there would be a nice little plug living in the dash and all I would have to do would be to connect to it. Alas, I will have to do some wiring myself.
Old 12-12-2007, 12:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I did this same install on a 2001 Dodge intrepid. I robbed the wiring that ran down the pillar to/from the overhead console and mirrors. This harness did have a small plug that plugged right into the fuse box on the 2001 intrepid.
The color of the wires mentioned seems the same as far as my memory goes

I am trying to find out how to just remove the overhead console in my 2001 3500 to fix a inop reading light. I see the two push tabs but it won't budge or come down any. There also seems to be tabs near rear of overhead console to make console need to be slid back prior to removal....but I can't even get it down or loose in front to even think about sliding it back.

ANyone have info or pics on how to remove overhead console from 01 3500?