2nd Gen. Dodge Ram - No Drivetrain Discussion for all Dodge Rams from 1994 through 2002. Please, no engine or drivetrain discussion.

Overhead console electronics Question

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2008, 11:07 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Overhead console electronics Question

Hi Guys...
I have an 1998 QC 12v dually and it doesn't have the overhead gadgetry
I want to at least install a compass and outdoor thermometer.
Maybe even the MPG computer too.
Right now my truck has nothing there. Can I just grab this stuff out of a donor truck and simply plug it itno an existing harness?
If so,what years will work??
Thanks in advance!
Old 03-10-2008, 09:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I don't think so! Only the highline had harness because it had the OH assy. Maybe could install just a compass and temp sensor. Find the donor truck and look at harness in headliner area first. Now see what yours has. Could posibilly run wires for temp sensor in front of rad and hook up power(s) and grds. Fuel milage (ect) hooks up to the buss system for communication.
The electronics change from year to year and difficult to say will interchange from one to another.
Old 03-10-2008, 11:45 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I put a rear view mirror in with a compass. They have them with temp too for cheaper than a new console.
Old 03-10-2008, 11:57 AM

Originally Posted by dozer12216
I don't think so! Only the highline had harness because it had the OH assy. Maybe could install just a compass and temp sensor. Find the donor truck and look at harness in headliner area first. Now see what yours has. Could posibilly run wires for temp sensor in front of rad and hook up power(s) and grds. Fuel milage (ect) hooks up to the buss system for communication.
The electronics change from year to year and difficult to say will interchange from one to another.
Thanks..
I kinda figured that I would need to go to a scrapyard and compare harnesses.
Thanks......
GCSS
Old 03-18-2008, 03:38 PM

On my 1997 I have a temp/compass console but would love to have mileage. Is that possible or did that not come till 1998?? I can find one in a junkyard even from a Jeep, i"ve heard but mileage would be awesome. Any thoughts?
Old 03-18-2008, 03:56 PM

Originally Posted by BioJoe
On my 1997 I have a temp/compass console but would love to have mileage. Is that possible or did that not come till 1998?? I can find one in a junkyard even from a Jeep, i"ve heard but mileage would be awesome. Any thoughts?
well my guess is the the pcm would have to support this feature.
I could be wrong,but that is my best guess.
GCSS
Old 03-18-2008, 08:42 PM

I would get a mirror that has the features. I used to work at Gentex, the company that makes most of the compass/temp mirrors on the market. Nice stuff, and I know that they will work stand-alone. They used to sell them to employees at discounted rates. I, unfortunately didn't grab one before I left . . . oh well.

I just found this link:
http://stores.ebay.com/WembleySells

I didn't know there really were so many options on those things. I worked in the outside mirrors . . . unfortunately I don't think that they make anything for the outside yet . . .

Take care,
Phill
Old 03-18-2008, 10:55 PM

The compass and temp would be stand-alone,but the fuel mileage calculator needs input from the PCM to get it's data.
So the question now is.... will the PCM from a 1998 12 valve have the pigtail/connector for this?????
Originally Posted by merr6267
I would get a mirror that has the features. I used to work at Gentex, the company that makes most of the compass/temp mirrors on the market. Nice stuff, and I know that they will work stand-alone. They used to sell them to employees at discounted rates. I, unfortunately didn't grab one before I left . . . oh well.

I just found this link:
http://stores.ebay.com/WembleySells

I didn't know there really were so many options on those things. I worked in the outside mirrors . . . unfortunately I don't think that they make anything for the outside yet . . .

Take care,
Phill