2nd Gen. Dodge Ram - No Drivetrain Discussion for all Dodge Rams from 1994 through 2002. Please, no engine or drivetrain discussion.

The old 3-honk returns

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2015, 07:28 PM

Received 152 Likes on 131 Posts
The old 3-honk returns

Well, she's at it again....every time I unlock the doors with the key fob the horn blasts 3 honks to let me know the truck has had the alarm triggered, even though it hasn't!

I have taken the usual steps...clean all grounds, replace fob batteries, check door switches and buttons, opened the lock with the key numerous times(which doesn't set the notification off.

I have unhooked my horns to keep from disturbing the neighbors but can still hear the relay clicking after the system has timed out, usually about an hour or so.

I have also reviewed all the previous threads about this. Any new info or discoveries regarding this item would be appreciated.

Thanks, Kurt
Old 01-07-2015, 11:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yep mine has returned as well now that the cold weather has come about. I have read everything I could as well, but there seems to be no consensus as to the cause. I haven't looked into it yet but I might just try running the horn off a relay to kill power when the ignition is off. I'm sure my neighbors would appreciate it...
Old 01-08-2015, 05:44 PM

I was thinking that also, of course then the alarm becomes a true silent, I doubt anybody will notice the relay clicking!

My next attempt will be to unhook the batteries and see if anything resets...
Old 01-08-2015, 07:14 PM
Sausage Aficionado (In training)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Mine did the same thing today after sitting outside for 12 hours at -18C.
Old 01-10-2015, 01:26 PM

In the past mine was usually a cold/damp/wet issue also...

I am wondering if it may be the lock switches in the doors....supposedly both were replaced with 'improved' weatherproof ones in 05....
Old 02-22-2015, 02:20 PM

Still happening but more random. Temps in 60's this past week.

I think I will pull the lock switches and inspect, pull the horn fuse just for the heck of it, pull the batteries again, check a few grounds and check the door lock switch in the door panels....before it rains!
Old 05-24-2020, 11:59 AM

Well, dug this one up to announce I think I finally cured the triple blast wake up call I have been providing since using my personal truck for work during the Covid plague.

After trying everything including unhooking my horn leads and tearing into my door locks to abate the 3-honk I finally stumbled across and old Mopar1973man.com thread https://mopar1973man.com/topic/12475...larm-question/ (I hope this doesn't break the forum rules!!) about power lines and radio interference pertaining to the CTM, I wraped it in metal foil and it seems to be working. No 3 honk in over a month during my standard daily practices to include parking in my driveway approx 100 feet from the powerlines running thru the neighborhood and a cel tower at my current job site.

The only issue I have noticed is a reduced distance to lock/unlock the rig with my key fob.

Hoping this holds on and is a permanent fix with no other side affects....
Old 05-26-2020, 12:08 AM

Received 142 Likes on 108 Posts
Straight from the FSM:

TAMPER ALERT
The VTSS tamper alert feature will sound the horn
three times upon disarming, if the alarm was triggered
and has since timed-out (about fifteen minutes).
This feature alerts the vehicle operator that
the VTSS alarm was activated while the vehicle was
unattended

Sounds like maybe your alarm system was triggered while you werent around.....or for some reason it thinks it was.
Old 05-27-2020, 03:08 PM

It thinks it was....I have never had the alarm go off unless I reached in and unlocked the passenger door thru the open window and most of the rest of the time I am around my truck....Hopefully happy neighbors from now on!!
Old 05-27-2020, 03:17 PM

Received 366 Likes on 272 Posts
Originally Posted by SIXSLUG
....I have never had the alarm go off unless I reached in and unlocked the passenger door thru the open window and most of the rest of the time I am around my truck....
My current ride is the first one I've owned in decades with manual door locks, mirrors, seats and no entry warning...It does have a tilt wheel which I've never moved since I bought it...I guess there's something to be said for simplicity......Ben
Old 05-31-2020, 10:27 AM

Honestly, this has been a random feature of my truck since I bought it used. Nothing shows any aftermarket tinkering other than a CB radio. I knew the passenger side bed skin was replaced due to a minor incident from the previous owner, otherwise she was bone stock. If you review other posts about the 3-honk everyone says the alarm went off when I was absent but I know that not to be the case.

It went off, hopefully for the last time, before I wrapped the ecm at a jobsite near the airport with a stacked cell tower about 250 feet from where I parked, 4 times in a row. This got me thinking I'll try anything. I had already unhooked the horns previously to avoid waking my neighbors and would hear the relay tick 3 times almost every morning upon unlocking the doors. I had pulled the door switches out and checked them over, kept track of weather and humidity/precip to see if that played in, shielded the alternator wiring like the auto trans guys do to avoid gear hunting, changed batteries in the key fob a few times, replaced both batteries etc.....

I rec'd a new work truck last August and parked the Dodge and only drove it occasionally thru this Spring and the 3-honk was more common than ever. I reviewed old threads regarding this and found the mopar73man thread buried in his forums and figured what the heck....problem solved, for now knock on wood......
Old 06-07-2020, 12:26 AM

As a side note, my overhead hasn't displayed "Ccd" and gone wacky since I fooled with the CTM........
Old 08-30-2020, 05:21 PM

Update: Overhead power lines are the common feature when this occurs. I have been parking directly under them on a current jobsite and everytime I unlock the doors it does the 3-honk. There are high tension lines across the road I live on and when parking near them it will often do the 3-honk also. This has occured since wrapping the CTM...just an update.