2nd Gen. Dodge Ram - No Drivetrain Discussion for all Dodge Rams from 1994 through 2002. Please, no engine or drivetrain discussion.

Not Heating up

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2005, 09:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Not Heating up

I have a 1998 Ram 24 valve. I have very little heat. Before i changed the thermostat i had no heat. Now i have very very little. I have checked every thing and it seems to be ok. What do you think it could be.
Old 12-04-2005, 10:38 AM

These trucks have massive radiators, I would suggest to get a winter front or make one and slide it down between the intercooler and radiator, just insure that what ever you make it out of can stand heat and cut a 8in circle directly infront of the fan clutch to keep it cool. I make them out of abs plastic,some I have seen is plexi glass. It will greatly improve your heat, also some up in the colder climates take their fans off completley in the winter. Goodluck,,Rick
Old 12-04-2005, 10:42 AM

heat

the motor it self heats up. the gauge tells me that. but i don't get any heat in the cab.
Old 12-04-2005, 10:44 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Have you checked the radiator coolant level?
Old 12-04-2005, 11:28 AM

Smile

Have you changed your coolant lately, if so I was going to say possibly you might have a air pocket in the system. Just a guess that is if your thermostat is working properly.

This happened to a friend of mine, his truck. We changed out thermostat first thinking it was stuck open while on the road, still very little heat and we like to froze to death going to the deer lease that day. Turned out he had air trapped in the system.

Here's a link I found, note the procedure Steve use's toward the the bottom of the page. http://dodgeram.org/tech/dsl/cooling-sys/antifreeze.htm

Tony
Old 12-04-2005, 11:31 AM
Banned

Check your rotary heat dial for full range of heat(may be stripped) or stuck on cold side. If engine is up to temp, heater hoses should be hot also(inlet hose is hotter) . If engine is still slightly cold(not into normal range yet), inlet heater hose should be slightly warm to the touch already. Check coolant level, check if water pump is circulating, and put on a winter front of some sort(check out my pics).
Old 12-04-2005, 03:26 PM

it has pressure

I checked all those things. Why dose it have pressure on the top hose.? I replaced the thermostat. if i have air how do i get it out.
Old 12-04-2005, 09:54 PM
Banned

System is pressurized to 15psi max by rad cap, you probably didn't get rid of air when you c/o thermostat. I usually loosen rad hose top clamp SLIGHTLY, to let A VERY VERY SMALL AMOUNT of coolant(and air-mostly air)out, and grab hose and squeeze air out, while having engine running.

Also put on hot temp and fan on hi, and then check for heat, engine should be at or near operating temp. Also when you are squeezing hose, check for water pump pulses, which ensures water pump is pumping. I don't believe you would have a bleed screw on thermostat housing, but if you do just loosen enough, to let coolant(and air) lightly seep out while running, and soak up with rag.
Old 12-05-2005, 03:25 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If none of that fixes it you might try back flushing the heater core.
Old 12-05-2005, 05:12 PM

Have you checked to see if the heater control valve is opening? It may be defective. On mine few years ago the widget (for lack of a proper name) disconnected from the switch. I had the dealer fix it. along with a recall item
Old 12-07-2005, 08:54 AM

Use recirc heat options. Change to 195 Thermostat?

I have been using the recirculating heat options on my truck unless I need defog. I get alot more heat this way.

No one has suggested changing from the stock 180 thermostat to something warmer. Has anyone tried this. Is there any problem with doing this?
Old 12-07-2005, 04:56 PM
Banned

Recirculating feature is to use when cab is cold(blocks incoming cold air from entering cab and reuses inside cab air). In regards to thermostats, I guess it may depend where you live, but most trucks here(northern climates) come with 195f thermostat from factory.
Old 12-08-2005, 08:37 AM

195 Tstat

My Dodge dealer says it comes with a 180 degree Tstat and he has no other options. I have a 195 from an after market shop and will try.

I was just worried that the computer might get upset if it detects that it is running above the prescribed temp.
Old 12-08-2005, 04:00 PM

180degF engine coolant should be MUCH more than enough heat to drive you from the cab!

Are the two lines going to/from the heater core hot?

Guys, y'all chime in as I might be wrong about this... But I understand that beginning on some 2nd gen model, DC installed an orifice somewhere in the heater core coolant lines to/from the engine.. This was because of a water "rushing/gurgling" noise coming from the dash area. In fact, I believe there was a TSB on this too?
I'm wondering if this orifice has become clogged from a chunk of debris or other dirt/crud?

K.
Old 12-08-2005, 05:42 PM

the heater lines are warm going to the heater core. the cab is now getting very little heat now. just enough to take the chill off. 180 thermostat

Quick Reply: Not Heating up