2nd Gen. Dodge Ram - No Drivetrain Discussion for all Dodge Rams from 1994 through 2002. Please, no engine or drivetrain discussion.

No sound????

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2006, 02:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No sound????

Well after getting tired of my crappy busted speakers i decided to go and buy a new set. I bought two 6x9 pioneers from walmart. Well tonight i decided to go ahead and put em in. I did the passenger door first. When i got the stock speaker out it had 4 wires going to it. A red, black, grey, and green. Well after looking at it for a minute and wondering why there were 4 wires instead of 2, i decided that i would just cut the wires and see what happened. I figured the red wire was a hot wire, the black was a ground, and the green and grey wires were for the speaker. Ive never seen anything like this but i got to thinking and figured that it was probably somethin to do with the fact that my truck has the Infinity sound system, so i thought maybe each speaker had like a built in amp. or somethin. I went ahead and hooked up the green and grey wires to the speaker and everything was fine. Speaker sounded just fine, so i was like well... i guess its alright. So i mounted the speaker, put the door panel back on and went around to work on the drivers side. I got the door panel off and did the same thing i did on the other one. I cut all 4 wires going to the speaker. After i got the speaker hooked up i decided to check and see if it was working before i went ahead and mounted it. Well i turned the radio on and got NOTHING. Not even the right side speakers were working now Ive pretty much tried everything and for the life of me cannot figure out whats wrong. I just cant get any sound out of the speakers at all. I cant figure out why the passenger side door speakers would work just fine, and then when i go around to the other side and unhook the driver's side speaker, the passenger side speaker quits too, and now neither one of them work
Sorry for the book, but i felt it was necessary to explain the situation. PLEASE HELP MEEEEEE!!!!
Old 08-17-2006, 07:43 AM
Chapter President

You are correct, the Infinity system has "self-amp'ed" speakers, and your OEM head-unit will not drive them; If you are going to aftermarket speakers, you will either need an external amp to drive them, or a new head unit (or both, preferrably!)
Old 08-17-2006, 02:43 PM

Thats what i dont understand though. I have an aftermarket head unit.
Old 08-17-2006, 05:16 PM
Chapter President

Did you run all new wiring form the AM headunit, or try to use the existing wires? I HIGHLY recommend running all new wiring!!
Old 08-17-2006, 05:42 PM

If I remember correctly, you will ge tthe best results by bypassing the amp. I think you can get a bypass from Best Buy or another retailer.
Old 08-18-2006, 02:35 AM

Thanks for the input guys. I had already installed an aftermarket head unit, but for some reason it was just acting funny. So i bought another head unit, installed it, and all is well