2nd Gen. Dodge Ram - No Drivetrain Discussion for all Dodge Rams from 1994 through 2002. Please, no engine or drivetrain discussion.

No Brake Lights !!

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2011, 06:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No Brake Lights !!

Here is my story on friday I noticed I did not have brake lights. So Sat morning I checked all the ATC and mini fuses and the brake switch. Still no brake lights I did some reading and noticed that the brake lights go through the turn signals so I went and bought the switch assy. Still no brake lights. More reading on the inter net some one mentioned the pink wire with a blue tracer was the power to the brake light switch. I checked it and no power.I tryed to trace the wire with no luck due to all the add ons under the dash. I decide to pull the main harness from the drives foot compartment looked and found a pink wire with blue tracer I then find the terminal it goes to and no power. At this point my search ends up under the hood again I pull the power dist box and seperate the two halfs I noticed the ATC fuse marked for the brake lights has turned to violet in the fuse box. At this point I have to go to work and on my outings today I stoped by a friends shop and had them pull up the wiring diagram for the lights. In the digram the stop light fuse is not the same location as the cover under the hood is showing it to be. Also noticed the diagram has the pink wire with blue tracer all the way to the fuse.So I bought a 20amp FMX fuse and when I got to the house today I pulled the old fuse that the diagram showed as brake light fuse omed it and it was bad installed new fuse and all back up and running again.
Just trying to give some of you a heads up dont always assume your fuse cover has the right markings for your fuse this was a fustrating ordeal.
Old 01-12-2011, 11:22 PM

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts
Just curious...did/do your flashers still work? My dad had a similar problem with his old F150, hazard flasher shorted out somehow. Fuse for brake lights was still good, yet no brake lights. Thanks for the insight anyhow.
Old 01-13-2011, 06:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yes my flashers and turn signals worked. But my dimmer switch would not work at times and my turn signals and flasers would stick on if you had them running for more than two min. as in stop flashing and stay on. But I had these issues for some time.