2nd Gen. Dodge Ram - No Drivetrain Discussion for all Dodge Rams from 1994 through 2002. Please, no engine or drivetrain discussion.

no ABS

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2005, 07:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
no ABS

new guy here but long time lurker. had my new to me truck for 5 months and love it. yesterday I lost the ABS and have the ABS and brake light on. checked it with a snapon scanner and all it comes up with is hardware module fault. will not access anything to do with the ABS sytem. stoped buy the dealer and got the pins for the controler and best that I can tell all is ok there so looks like a bad control module the big question is, does anybody know if this is avalable outside the dealer and how much$$$$ TIA.

bill
Old 01-09-2005, 01:19 PM

nobody has any idea's

bill
Old 01-09-2005, 04:12 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
On my 2000 the ABS and brake light came on. I replaced the wheel speed sensor and that fixed it. You have to get it from the dealer, it's about $35. The part# for mine was 56028187AE. Some have had luck taking the old one out and cleaning it off.
It's very easy to do, just clean off the area first so dirt dosen't fall into the diff.

If you have 4 wheel anti lock brakes there will be one at each front wheel as well. I don't know how you can tell which one is bad in that case.
Old 01-09-2005, 04:56 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Bill, taking out the speed sensors is NOT going to magically make your abs system communicate with the scan tool. If you have your power and grounds per the wiring, I would be looking at the module. I've only had to replace a few of them over the years. You might go to the bone yard and get a used one, or it's a dealer only item.
Old 01-09-2005, 07:20 PM
Administrator

If the truck has 4 wheel ABS and the rear wheel speed sensor goes bad,,,,,,,, the speedometer will not work when you jack both rear wheels off the ground and put the truck in Drive. However, when all four wheels are on the ground and driving down the road,,,, the speedometer works fine. This test does not work on a Rear Wheel ABS Only truck. I found this out when the rear wheel speed sensor went bad on mine.
Check out this thread
Old 01-09-2005, 08:09 PM

Re: no ABS

Originally posted by bill50cal
it comes up with is hardware module fault. will not access anything to do with the ABS sytem

bill
Come on guys!! You keep throwing out speed sensor this and speed sensor that and he CAN'T GET THE SCAN TOOL TO COMMUNICATE WITH THE ABS MODULE!! .
Old 01-09-2005, 08:43 PM

Re: Re: no ABS

Originally posted by J BODY
Come on guys!! You keep throwing out speed sensor this and speed sensor that and he CAN'T GET THE SCAN TOOL TO COMMUNICATE WITH THE ABS MODULE!! .
All I know is that when I had the problem that I stated earlier, the only access for information was here. When I did a LOT of reading, the answer 95% of the time was the sensor. If the scan tool can't communicate with the ABS module does that mean the module's bad or that the scan tool won't do the job? Isn't a sensor hardware?
Old 01-09-2005, 10:24 PM

The wss is an input to the ABS module. IF all is working well you will be able to communicate with the ABS module. If you can't achieve communication, you have to leap that hurdle first. True lots of people who see the abs lights often run out and buy the wss and IF it's bad it will cure the prob. But there are those who also do the same and end up not fixing their truck.......which leads to another prob here. What year is the truck we are working with Bill.
Old 01-10-2005, 08:14 AM

j body

the truck is a 99 4 wheel ABS as in sig. pins show the folowing # 4 7 14 12v #6 13 grounds good # 3 10 ccd bus 2.45v along with power to all 3 wss pins. my thoughts are a bad modual as it will NOT communicat to scan tool. I dont want to throw parts at it and a bad wss should show as a code in the ABS but the body module does not show ANYTHING to do with ABS. it sure looks like a bad module and would like to know if it is avalable outside the dealer.

bill
Old 01-10-2005, 08:46 AM
Administrator

Re: Re: no ABS

Originally posted by J BODY
I was under the impression that only DC had a scan tool that would read the ABS codes. At least this is what I was told by two different shops. Hope ya get it straight Bill
Old 01-10-2005, 03:44 PM

ok

I had it checked with a DRB insted of my snap on and I guess the snap on won't do the ABS. the DRB came up with all three wss codes but with a test drive only the rear one was not reading so in went a new rear wss and TROUBLE GONE . pays to have access to the right tool and not just throwing parts at it. I was in the automatic transmission feild for thirty + years till last august and like to get the proper info first. thanks for the help

bill
Old 01-10-2005, 04:19 PM
Chapter President

I don't have a code reader. I usually just read the DTR for hours at a time, print off useful information and put in a folder for safe keeping. When a problem comes up I look thru my folder and make the fix.

So far, the DTR is 3 for 3 !!!!
Old 01-10-2005, 07:46 PM

Interesting.....My bud at an independant shop can do the abs stuff and I know their scanner is a Snappy.
Old 01-11-2005, 06:56 AM

j body

I checked it with my scanner and then with another on with the newest software that I got SCREWED out of and neither one would access the ABS. I have a friend with a truck just like mine and might ask him if he will let me try his truck and see what happens on it. the access might be year sensitive too but not sure, but at least I got it fixed and at minimale cost too the cost of ALL the tools to work on this junk was just one more reason that I closed my shop.
Old 02-07-2005, 06:40 AM

my Snap on scanner won't check the abs in a dodge truck. I have a Problem now where I don't know what the problem is because Dodge must have made there system odd.

Quick Reply: no ABS