2nd Gen. Dodge Ram - No Drivetrain Discussion for all Dodge Rams from 1994 through 2002. Please, no engine or drivetrain discussion.

No 4 wheel drive !

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2009, 12:12 PM
Administrator

Received 172 Likes on 130 Posts
Originally Posted by duratothemax
Granted the truck had 220k miles on it, but then again my other friend's 02 dmax with 210k has had zero problems with the lazy-man's push button 4wd.............LOL

ben
Your friend is darned lucky.

The Wax actuator early design is only slightly worse than the Servo motor actuator they use today. Posilock would not be the preferred solution for GM front axle woes....... At least we can put a friggin lockout on ours.

And yea, I am going to try and figure out a lockout system for my 95 GMC as soon as I get time, it would sell like hotcakes.
Old 01-14-2009, 12:41 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by thumper549
OK , I can not be on the planet this long and be this dumb ! ( Or can I ?).
well not dumb, but ignorant/uninformed.

Logic says if a Aluminum head will not last on a gas engine ....then a Diesel ? No Way !
your logic is incorrect because you are basing it off of assumptions and not experience. (now let me guess you are going to tell the story of your "brothers uncles mailmans sisters husband who owns a fleet of duramax's and they all warp heads on a weekly basis")

I do not see how Duramax will escape this Esp. with a Aluminum which is also prone to changing shape !.
Thats why you arent an engineer. Its called being open minded. People thought the concept of a diesel engine was stupid back in the late 1800's you know.

IIf there were a place to place bets .......................you know what I would do....
From what I have seen, even most of the KNOWLEDGABLE/not ignorant die-hard cummins guys will admit that the aluminum heads are not a problem on the duramax. I think its funny when people tear apart the duramax "because the stupid thing has aluminum heads, what a horrible idea" yet dont even mention/know about the injector problems, if that doesnt prove ignorance I dont know what does.

ben
Old 01-14-2009, 08:36 PM

I do not think the Cummings is a good engine at all Mr. Duratothemax. It is terrible.!
And for your info...You are getting all personal cause you do not agree with my experiance in life.
I used to own a repair shop,
Never found to this date a engine with a AL. Head to last. That's my exp. That's what life has taught me
I will hedge my bet that in your arrogance of my experiance that I will be right in the end.
It is OK to disagree.............you do not have to get all frothy about it.
thanx
Old 01-14-2009, 09:42 PM

Oh and P.S.
Yes open minded, that is what Detroit is -Open minded ! LOL! Open handed ,begging cause they can not compete with a world market.
It is not just your Chevy it all of Detroit
like I said, soon as Honda or the like is allowed to import a 1 ton we will have a GREAT truck........That's my experiance with the import cars ...not a hallucination
Old 01-15-2009, 08:47 AM
Banned

I do not think the Cummings is a good engine at all Mr. Duratothemax. It is terrible.!
And for your info...You are getting all personal cause you do not agree with my experiance in life.
I used to own a repair shop,
Never found to this date a engine with a AL. Head to last. That's my exp. That's what life has taught me
I will hedge my bet that in your arrogance of my experiance that I will be right in the end.
It is OK to disagree.............you do not have to get all frothy about it.
thanx

Great so you used to own a repair shop. OK. I take it back. The duramax's do have problems with aluminum heads, because "mr.thumper 549" said so. Let me guess, you are 65 years old and retired, and have not worked on any vehicle newer than 1990 because that would fit your stubborn feelings/personality that are not open to any new ideas and the fact that maybe a new and different idea can work, even when it failed in the past.

Did you work on duramax's? (I suppose you are going to tell me "yeah ive worked on hundreds of thousands of them and they all had warped heads" and theres no way I can prove you wrong of course) Ive built a couple of them (stock and performance rebuilds) and worked on more than I care to rememeber. I have never seen any problems caused by aluminum heads. Every duramax I have worked on had anywhere from 300 miles to 300,000 miles. It is my opinion that you are incorrect in your opinions/assumptions, and the history of the duramax supports my opinion.

ben
Old 01-15-2009, 09:08 AM

I think somebody needs a nap.
Old 01-15-2009, 10:13 AM

Sir, You take all this real personal ...No offence even. Own a Duramax, It is all good with me..I just stated M.O. That's all. You do not need to get all worked up.
Sorry I bother you
I was just stating for the record and the experiance "When two dissimilar metals work together one gets corrosion. Them is the facts. Compile this with a more severe environment then gas ( diesel) I say it cant work. Hope it will for your sake and every one else's.
Old 01-16-2009, 05:39 PM

Here are some quotes from the Duromax forumsI was not there 2 minutes and found..
Reply Quote Top Bottom

TheDieseliminato

Saturday May 05, 2007 09:15

The Duramax diesel engine is an awesome engine in every aspect except for the fact that it has aluminum cylinder heads. A head gasket(s) could easily be seen as going bad in an aluminum headed engine design. It's usually been the case in almost every other engine design and nothing beats a cast iron cylinder head on a diesel engine. I still am very disappointed at Isuzu for doing that with the 6.6 V8 and I think that they could have done better. Good luck with getting yours back together.

lisat

Monday April 30, 2007 16:53

We just had our 2001 3500 duramax 6.6 in for a check, we were going through gallons of coolant with no obvious leak just white exhaust smoke. Mechanic said head gasket needed replaced, he found a cracked head, replaced it, put it all back together and said he screwed up the valve adjustment, black smoke, knocking. 2 weeks later.... they now say it is a rod and the lower engine is shot. How could this be if there was NO knock or any sign of a problem other than the vanishing coolant and some white smoke?

Are they trying to cover for jacking up the rods? Help please... we are now approaching a bill that is exceeding our replacing the engine in the first place.

lisat

Monday April 30, 2007 16:53