2nd Gen. Dodge Ram - No Drivetrain Discussion for all Dodge Rams from 1994 through 2002. Please, no engine or drivetrain discussion.

New Truck-Wet Carpet

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2006, 06:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New Truck-Wet Carpet

Picked up my truck today. Looks like the A/C is not draining outside the cab and is getting the carpet wet. Where is is supposed to be draining? I can not find anywhere under the truck or under the hood that looks like an A/C drain.

Second, anyone know where I can pick up some replacement carpet? I would like some that is pre-molded and looks like factory. Also possibly replacing the seat covers as well. Where can I get some factory replacements, or at least factory looking replacements.

Thanks for the Help
Old 06-26-2006, 07:57 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think the drain is on the passenger side somewhere. mine drips onto the axle area so it could be right above that. Could be dripping off of the accumulator though for all I know.
I had leaks in my truck that caused a lot of water to enter the cab. Took me a few days to weld it all up again. Turns out there were rot holes hidden in the areas you cant easily see from underneath. They were hidden by the sticky asphalt strips that youll see under the carpet. Youd have to scrape that all off with a chisel to see whats under it.
Any holes in there will allow the water to soak into the carpet padding like a sponge.
I also found the front cab supports rot out from sand getting up there and holding water.
Old 06-26-2006, 08:57 PM
I think I can... I think...

Originally Posted by kawi600
I think the drain is on the passenger side somewhere. mine drips onto the axle area so it could be right above that. Could be dripping off of the accumulator though for all I know.
I had leaks in my truck that caused a lot of water to enter the cab. Took me a few days to weld it all up again. Turns out there were rot holes hidden in the areas you cant easily see from underneath. They were hidden by the sticky asphalt strips that youll see under the carpet. Youd have to scrape that all off with a chisel to see whats under it.
Any holes in there will allow the water to soak into the carpet padding like a sponge.
I also found the front cab supports rot out from sand getting up there and holding water.
My truck was leaking water into the cab and it took me a while to figure out why.
It turned out that the drain line had fallen off. It connects right at the firewall on the passenger side. When the hose is off it allows the water to trace back into the cab along the bottom of the nipple that the line is supposed to connect to.
I took a piece of garden hose and slipped it over the nipple. All is dry now.
Old 06-26-2006, 09:03 PM

Originally Posted by kawi600

Kawi is 100 percent correct

I just fixed mine about four days ago. YOu will need a 5/8 hose and a small hose clamp and for the life of you make sure that the truck is cold when u do that, I DIDNT, so yeah.... I noticed it cause i fixed the third brake light issue some time back and i still had water in my cab, i found this leak by accident actually, while i was at work, i smelled somethin foul, like stagnant water, down by the condensor, Low and behold, the insulation was all messed up and fallin apart, it is gross, and when i pulled at it, i see the little drain plug, MIND u its a bear to get to, i have 36" sleeves, and i had some tough time gettin thru to it, and mind u when i fixed it my manifold was still hot, so i got all cinched and burnt on my arms. I would suggest that you knock off some insulation to get thru to it one evenin, then in the morning go ahead and get to it from the bottom by the right hand side tire, or thru the top. Wear a face shield cause alot of mess falls down.

I have not had any leaks as of yet, But i used 2 foot of hose, a small hose clamp, and zip ties, and i routed this thing close to the oil pan, so i do get asked alot if my truck leaks oil

In either case u might wanna try this, it worked for me... hope it does for u as well...

Rick
Old 06-26-2006, 09:26 PM

thanks for the replies. I looked for the drain and could not find it. I guess I was not looking hard enough. I'll look again tomarrow.

Now just to find some carpet and seat covers.
Old 06-26-2006, 09:41 PM

Originally Posted by SMOKNISB
thanks for the replies. I looked for the drain and could not find it. I guess I was not looking hard enough. I'll look again tomarrow.

Look behind the condensor, its a tube stickin out

pull the insulation by the passenger side and i guarantee u will find it.. (least on my 96 and a buddies 98 its where it was)...

Rick
Old 06-26-2006, 09:54 PM

Look under the acumulator/dryer. (Cylindrical component of the AC system) I think that's what it's called.
I looked for ever and actually never saw it until i reached under there and felt it.
I was looking for a hose thinking it was stopped up but it was actually gone. I think the factory hose is elbowed at the end that plugs onto the nipple.
If I remember right I had to dunk the garden hose in boiling water to get it to stretch over the nipple. I cut it long enough so it just layed down on top of the frame. Oh and yes go ahead and clamp it.
Old 06-27-2006, 01:08 AM

Thanks, I'll see if I can locate it in the morning.
Old 06-27-2006, 09:19 AM

Well I found the drain. As soon as I touched it, water started to pour out. So I guess that was the problem. I put a piece of 5/8" hose on it with a hose clamp. Hopefully that will fix it. Now I just have to take the carpet out and dry everything out.
Old 06-27-2006, 10:03 AM

Well I found the drain. As soon as I touched it, water started to pour out. So I guess that was the problem. I put a piece of 5/8" hose on it with a hose clamp. Hopefully that will fix it. Now I just have to take the carpet out and dry everything out.
Kewl deal!!
Hey my carpet was pretty wet but instead of pulling it I put a small fan in the floor on the tranny hump pointing down at the wet area. I also rested a box fan on the passenger door over the window opening with it pulling air out of the truck. Oh and leave the drivers door window open about 3"-4"
One day in the sun like that and it was dry as a bone. No more musty smell.
I'm callin it good.
Old 06-27-2006, 04:19 PM

I ordered new carpet this morning. The carpet is pretty stained up, so I'm gonna replace it.