2nd Gen. Dodge Ram - No Drivetrain Discussion for all Dodge Rams from 1994 through 2002. Please, no engine or drivetrain discussion.

New mud tires, and now steering is SCARY!

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2006, 01:14 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RickCJ
That's the point we're trying to make you can't have get a big oversize mud tire with an E rating. You need to get get a big E ply tire 235 85 16 /265 75 16 etc....
The Toyos on my truck are basically a 35x12.5x16 and have an E Load Rating/10 ply rated.
Old 11-02-2006, 08:21 PM

Originally Posted by Shovelhead
While you CAN run a D rated tire (I did ONE TIME, never again)....
The D's have weaker sidewalls and most times will give you wishy-washy handling over the stronger E rated tires.
I had to run my Ds at Max pressure and above, and the fronts STILL wore like they were underinflated due to the sidewall flex allowing the tread to "roll-over" in turns.
May be true for a dually....my 01 rides and handles better better on the 8 ply 295's than it did on the stock 10 ply Michelin 265's.
Old 11-02-2006, 08:33 PM

The Hankook's that I am running (285 D range) had a higher single wheel rating than the stock 265's in an E range. So while the ply is different 8 vs 10, the combined weight rating is actually higher. In the province that I live in, the GVW of the vehicle is irrelevant, capacity is determined by the weight rating of your tires.
Old 11-02-2006, 09:48 PM

As for running 8 ply tires, I just installed a set of a/t's a month ago and I think that if nothing changes it will be my last set. I too have trouble keeping the old girl straight. The truck was fine( well as good as you can expect with one of these dodge's) until I put them on. I put on a set of 285's and I think the load carrying is very close to my E's but she wanders. I never haul more that an ATV in the bed and don't tow anything so I feel the tires should be ok, but I just don't like the ride. I agree with Longhorn06, I drive truck for a living and when you go to a scale house they don't care as to what your truck is taged for or the G.V.W.R., the first thing they look at is the load rating of the tire. They have checked that so many times it started to get funny. I once landed at a scale and the officer told me she didn't care what the truck was registered at, first she checked the weight rating of the rubber. Then it was anything else she could nail me for.
Old 11-02-2006, 10:37 PM

I have a theory, but its only that...a theory. I have always driven a dually (12 years+) and the megalimo is my first single wheel truck. I purchased the truck with 265/70/17 from the factory. Drove it for 3000km and then went to the 285's, and yes they felt 'wigglier' if thats a word. Could it just be related to the additional height, and changing the center of gravity?? Just a thought.
Old 11-03-2006, 09:40 PM

hey, pro comp mud terrains come in 33x12.5x16.5
Old 11-04-2006, 01:05 AM

wadecool,
back to your original ??'s. i recently put a new set of toyo open country's on mine. they handled horrible at freeway speeds. scary. i took em back in and they found a bad tire on the front. replaced it and problem solved.
i'd go back to the dealer and have 'em check yours again.
hope that helps. good luck.
Old 11-04-2006, 01:12 AM

I've had 315/75r16s BFG MTs on AR outlaw II rims and 285/75r16 Yoko ATs on stocker rims.....

neither handled any differently than the other on the road or at highway speed. aside from my loose front end both were the same.
Old 11-04-2006, 03:01 PM

I'm very particular about my trucks handling, or any vehicle for that matter. It must steer crisply and be very predictable under adverse conditions. Right now I’m having a debate on whether or not to go with the tried and true BFG Commercial T/As, which suck under all conditions but are extremely predictable or go with the Bridgestone Dueler AT Revos which are supposed to be the best tires you can buy in their class.

Driving skill being the same across the board, a driver who is much more confident in his equipment will trump a driver with better equipment every time

For someone who loves stiff side walls in the first place, the switch to D tires was the stupidest thing I have ever done.

YMMV

Good Luck.
Old 11-04-2006, 05:56 PM

Originally Posted by FastSS
I'm very particular about my trucks handling, or any vehicle for that matter. It must steer crisply and be very predictable under adverse conditions. Right now I’m having a debate on whether or not to go with the tried and true BFG Commercial T/As, which suck under all conditions but are extremely predictable or go with the Bridgestone Dueler AT Revos which are supposed to be the best tires you can buy in their class.

Driving skill being the same across the board, a driver who is much more confident in his equipment will trump a driver with better equipment every time

For someone who loves stiff side walls in the first place, the switch to D tires was the stupidest thing I have ever done.

YMMV

Good Luck.
Dueler Revos are good riding good traction tire with soft rubber just don't expect more than 35-40k out of them. I usually run BFG AT KO but had to try the new Revo's. I usually get 70-75k out of the BFG and then wear them from 3-4/32 to 0 on my trailer.
Old 11-08-2006, 03:47 AM

I had worn out goodyear mt/r's that handled fine, but as soon as dealer put the new tires on the handling got scary. I just had them replace those tires with maxxis buckshot mudders and its still handling badly. The front end is fine, just rebuilt. Could rear shocks make it drive this way? But I don't know why bad shocks could affect it AS SOON AS new tires were put on. Also, I've been hauling Fema campers(5k to 10k) which would calm down the handling I thought, but its just as bad. I even have a weight distributing hitch which really helps with bumps, wind, etc. Its like I don't even have it attached. I'm out of ideas?!?
Old 11-08-2006, 05:49 AM
Administrator / Scooter Bum

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts
If your last tires were VERY worn out, the addition of an extra 1/2" of tread will sometimes give you a wiggly feeling as the lugs of the tread will flex more than a solid carcass of rubber.