2nd Gen. Dodge Ram - No Drivetrain Discussion for all Dodge Rams from 1994 through 2002. Please, no engine or drivetrain discussion.

New member with '97 4wd...want to fix up my steering

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2010, 08:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New member with '97 4wd...want to fix up my steering

It's time to start fixing up the front suspension/steering on my '97 4wd 5spd w/10ft flatbed, and after seeing how expensive some of these parts are, I want to be sure and use the best components I can afford to avoid repeating the same repairs for as long as possible.

Tie rods & trackbar were replaced last year (with NAPA/Moog parts) due to death wobble, but steering is still very sloppy, especially left of center. I can move my steering wheel from 12:00 to 10:00 without any real change in direction. Here's what I'm thinking needs to be replaced:

-steering box - oem, AGR, or ?
-steering shaft - Borgeson or ?
-DSS - all the same, or is one brand better than the other?
-control arm bushings - look pretty cracked. Should I replace with oem, urethane, or don't bother?
-swaybar bushings and links (f&r) - oem or aftermarket?
-front axle seals (starting to seep) - oem

For the parts listed, which brand(s) would you guys recommend? Are there any parts I'm forgetting? Would like to get everything fixed up before purchasing new tires.

Please see sig for truck info. Thanks in advance for any input. Will try to post pics in the next day or two.
Old 12-19-2010, 07:53 AM

For your steering box, I would check out these:
http://www.redheadsteeringgears.com/

I have read good things about them.

Floyd
Old 12-19-2010, 08:10 AM
Administrator

Received 52 Likes on 50 Posts
Originally Posted by opposite locker
It's time to start fixing up the front suspension/steering on my '97 4wd 5spd w/10ft flatbed, and after seeing how expensive some of these parts are, I want to be sure and use the best components I can afford to avoid repeating the same repairs for as long as possible.

Tie rods & trackbar were replaced last year (with NAPA/Moog parts) due to death wobble, but steering is still very sloppy, especially left of center. I can move my steering wheel from 12:00 to 10:00 without any real change in direction. Here's what I'm thinking needs to be replaced:

-steering box - oem, AGR, or ?
-steering shaft - Borgeson or ?
-DSS - all the same, or is one brand better than the other?
-control arm bushings - look pretty cracked. Should I replace with oem, urethane, or don't bother?
-swaybar bushings and links (f&r) - oem or aftermarket?
-front axle seals (starting to seep) - oem

For the parts listed, which brand(s) would you guys recommend? Are there any parts I'm forgetting? Would like to get everything fixed up before purchasing new tires.

Please see sig for truck info. Thanks in advance for any input. Will try to post pics in the next day or two.
------------------------------
Welcome to the website Sir!

I have a 1996 Dodge CTD and have pretty well rebuilt my front end. My truck has 310,000 miles on it now.

Here is my input on your questions:

1.) Steering Box- I have used the new stock ones but the aftermarket ones now available are better IMO.

2.) Steering Shaft- I highly recommend the "Borgeson!" I have one on mine and they are FAR superior to the stock unit. You can see the difference when you lay them side by side.

3.) DSS Bar- By FAR,....the BEST mod I have done to my 1996! The units are amazing at the difference they make.

Hope that helps you some.

--------
John_P
Old 12-19-2010, 12:37 PM

An aftermarket trak bar is in my future.
Old 12-19-2010, 12:46 PM

what about the ball joints i dont see those on your list
Old 12-20-2010, 05:21 AM

Last I checked, ball joints, tie rods, and track bar were in OK shape as most were replaced in 2009. If any are in need of replacement, will just go with Moog from NAPA as it's convenient.

Did some more searching & reading, and it looks like the way to go is:
1) Redhead steering box (surprised to read that AGR is so bad)
2) Borgeson steering shaft
3) Any DSS, brand doesn't matter
4) oem axle seals

Still unsure which way to go for control arm bushings (urethane or oem), sway bushings (urethane or oem), and sway links (oem or aftermarket).

Also, with the DSS in place, can I still use a steering stabilizer shock? Will this help at all, or is it unnecessary with the DSS? Was thinking of going with a Bilstein unit as Ive had pretty good luck with their shocks.

Thanks all for the input.
Old 12-20-2010, 05:23 PM
Administrator

Received 52 Likes on 50 Posts
Originally Posted by opposite locker
Last I checked, ball joints, tie rods, and track bar were in OK shape as most were replaced in 2009. If any are in need of replacement, will just go with Moog from NAPA as it's convenient.

Did some more searching & reading, and it looks like the way to go is:
1) Redhead steering box (surprised to read that AGR is so bad)
2) Borgeson steering shaft
3) Any DSS, brand doesn't matter
4) oem axle seals

Still unsure which way to go for control arm bushings (urethane or oem), sway bushings (urethane or oem), and sway links (oem or aftermarket).

Also, with the DSS in place, can I still use a steering stabilizer shock? Will this help at all, or is it unnecessary with the DSS? Was thinking of going with a Bilstein unit as Ive had pretty good luck with their shocks.

Thanks all for the input.
---------------------------------
FWIW,......I would go with the OEM control arm bushings. I tried the urethane and don't feel they were that much better.

And yes,... you can use the steering stabilizer shock even if you install the
DSS!

---------
John_P