2nd Gen. Dodge Ram - No Drivetrain Discussion for all Dodge Rams from 1994 through 2002. Please, no engine or drivetrain discussion.

Mouse/Rat ate it's way into the cab!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2003, 01:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mouse/Rat ate it's way into the cab!!

Hello,<br><br>Here's the story: I had a weird odor in the truck so I thought I would check it out. When I opened the glove box what did I see - A large nest. The nest was made out of the contents of the glove box along with some insulation (apparently from somewhere in the truck). It also came complete with rodent feces. :'(<br> <br>Yesterday, I pulled the truck into the garage and started checking around. The mouse (or rat) came in through the cowl area and went down into the blower motor unit. It then ate a large corner out of the mixer door. (The flap/door that closes to recirculate air in the cab.) It nibbled on some wires there breaking the vacuum line to the door operator thingy. After this it moved farther towards the driver side and nibbled some more wires. <br><br>I haven't heard it in the truck and I layed some poison out so hopefully it is dead. Also, the smell has dissipated somewhat.<br><br>I decided to call the insurance company just to see what they had to say. After an hour or so they called back stating that my comprehensive would cover it. I only had to pay the deductible. At the time I thought that was great news as I really, really don't want to take it apart myself. I then went to get estimates. This is where I became concerned. It doesn't seem like anyone wants to tackle this. The dealer didn't seem too excited about doing it and he really couldn't give an estimate due to unseen damage behind the dash.<br>A local body shop said the same thing and in fact told me that I should go to the dealer.<br><br>I have to go back today for some rough figures. Hopefully they won't be too out of line.<br><br>Wish me luck.<br>Any advice?
Old 02-13-2003, 05:13 AM

Re:Mouse/Rat ate it's way into the cab!!

I had the same thing happen on my tractor last year. I cranked it up one fine spring morning and had no gauges. After checking the fuses, notice a wire that had been eaten off the back of the fuel gauge. With a flashlight, I saw that all of the dash wires had been chewed off. I found other places where the dirty deed was done. Ended up replacing the entire wiring harness on the tractor. That's probably why they don't won't to give an estimate. The damage may be one little harness or a complete section behind the dash.
Old 02-13-2003, 04:40 PM

Pretty brave rodent! I could see if the vehicle was parked for a long time. Hopefully you rid yourself of that problem. Having owned rats and rabbits, I know they will relieve themselves anywhere they are traveling.
Old 02-13-2003, 10:02 PM

Growing up, I always wondered why the old man took out the bateries out of the combine and grain truck for the season . He told me thatwhen mice would find a way into the vehicle and chew on plastic and any other things they wanted to -of all these things,-the plastic caps on batteries, but to get rid of the plastic it would lick or drink the water or acid out of the battery to help desolve it.. Wierd little ba$turds, Arnt they!!
Old 02-14-2003, 08:43 AM

Got an estimate today. It's probably going to cost around $900. Hooray for insurance!!<br><br>The price will increase though if any further damage is found. Hopefully it will be fixed by next week.<br><br>In the mean time I have poison and sticky traps laid out.
Old 02-14-2003, 09:06 AM

[quote author=Ballbearing link=board=5;threadid=10913;start=0#104582 date=1045233809]<br>Got an estimate today. It's probably going to cost around $900. Hooray for insurance!!<br><br>The price will increase though if any further damage is found. Hopefully it will be fixed by next week.<br><br>In the mean time I have poison and sticky traps laid out. <br>[/quote]<br><br>That's good to hear except, what's your deductable on the comprehensive?
Old 02-15-2003, 06:50 AM

$50
Old 02-15-2003, 08:18 AM

Oh come on ... be adventurous, put a snake in the cab. It'll keep the rodent population down and make the drive home REAL interesting !!! ;D<br><br>PISTOL