2nd Gen. Dodge Ram - No Drivetrain Discussion for all Dodge Rams from 1994 through 2002. Please, no engine or drivetrain discussion.

mirrors are loose

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2008, 10:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
mirrors are loose

2002 2500 w/ camper mirrors.
The mirror on the driver side is loose and moves all the time.
How do you tighten the mirror?
Thanks, Terry
Old 08-06-2008, 11:16 AM
DTR's Toad Wrangler

Mine are too. So I have a small piece of wood as a wedge. I hope some one can help us through this pain.
Old 08-06-2008, 06:53 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I took my door panels off then removed my mirrors from the doors. I disassembled the mirrors and tightened up any loose fasteners I could find. I don't remember specifically how I did this, but I do remember that it wasn't obvious when the mirrors were on the truck.

I hope this helps.

Bob
Old 08-06-2008, 07:31 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
pop the corner near the mirror of your door panel off. you will need 2 new fasteners for each side. you'll see the black support bracket and the 3 10mm nuts, tighten them in sequential order top, bottom left, bottom right all to 40 in/lbs
Old 08-06-2008, 08:45 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
is it loose on the cab or is it swinging in? If its swinging in there is probably one of the ball bearings that has come out of its detent and the arm will need to come apart there is a write up on disassembly of the head to swap 3er gen power heated to 2nd gen be careful there is a BIG spring inside under a load!!! if its loose on the body ...3 10 mm nuts under door panel corner
Old 08-06-2008, 11:42 PM

Mirrors are loose

The glass inside the housing is loose and continually moves so I can't see directly behind me.
I have to keep rolling the window down to readjust it. Then 2 minutes later its out of adjustment again.
Sorry I wasn't more specific on what was loose.
Old 08-07-2008, 12:55 PM

Originally Posted by tswan
The glass inside the housing is loose and continually moves so I can't see directly behind me.
I have to keep rolling the window down to readjust it. Then 2 minutes later its out of adjustment again.
Sorry I wasn't more specific on what was loose.
Check out this thread from TDR. Its a step by step procedure on fixing a loose mirror:

http://www.turbodieselregister.com/f...step-step.html

I don't know if your mirrors are the same. Here's a copy of the pics and directions from the thread. It's easier to read if you go to the thread.

My Lose Towing Mirrors Fix Step by Step

I'll try to keep it to the point.

I finally gave up the fight with the 'ol lady closing the door too hard on the passenger side so I bit the bullet and fixed it today.

Tools and parts needed

1500 watt hair dryer
2 small blade regular screwdrivers
Piece of paper
Razor scraper
Silicone I or II caulking (or other adhesive that will bond to glass and plastic, and take heat and vibration)
Hot glue gun or lock tite
Clamps
3/8 x 24 die for threading
Wrench
3/8 x 24 nut
1" washer with at least 5/8 hole in center
Patience

It used the hair dryer to evenly heat the entire surface of the glass for about 5 minutes. Then starting at the outside top corner, I used the first screwdriver to GENTLY pry between the glass and the plastic housing. Keeping even pressure while levering out the glass, I then started the second screwdriver about 1" from the first and started levering it. After a couple of minutes, I could see between the glass and the housing and where the glue was adhering. Alternating between the two screwdrivers, I worked the entire outside edge loose and using one screwdriver on the top, and bottom I worked my way to the other edge. After I got about 2/3 of the glass separated, I took the piece of paper and slid it between the glass and the housing so the glue did not re-attach itself, then I started on the inside edge the same way I did the outside edge. It took about 10 minutes before it finally came lose. Be sure to have something soft on the ground for the glass to fall on if you can't catch it.

The glue on the glass looked and felt like a silicone base caulking so that is what I chose to use to put it back on.

Glass and glue pattern. The nasty looking thing on the bottom right corner is a $2 spot mirror from checker to cover the OEM convex mirror.

The star shaped thing in the center of the housing is the source of all our woes. I pushed it back as far as I could on the plastic stud in the center, then I took the die and started the threading. Make sure you get it started straight and square.

Once I got as close as I could to the star brace (for lack of a better description) I turned the die over and kept threading the stud all the way to the brace.

I put the washer on, then tightened the nut. The wrist-o-matic torque wrench guessed about 10 ft pounds. DO NOT OVER TIGHTEN! You do not want to strip the threads or break the stud. It is plastic. I had to put a second washer on this one, as I slightly cross threaded the nut and I did not want to take the chance of chasing the threads with the die. The drivers side went perfect.

Before you put the glass back on, check the movement of your mirror. I had to loosen mine up a tad after the first attempt. Once I was satisfied, I put some hot glue on the end of the stud around the nut to help keep it from backing off. Some lock tite would work too.

I scraped the old glue off the back of the glass and cleaned it with some alcohol. I then put a bead of silicone II caulking on all of the glue ridges on the glass housing and pressed the glass back into position, and clamped it in place for a couple of hours. I took a few shop rags and folded them up to the size of the glass, placed them over the glass, and wrapped the entire mirror housing with some cord as tight as I could to put even pressure over the whole surface.

Thats my story. A home job, and so far so good.
Old 08-07-2008, 10:24 PM
DTR's Toad Wrangler

Dave that is what I need to do thanks for the link.
Old 08-07-2008, 10:55 PM

Originally Posted by Clayten
Dave that is what I need to do thanks for the link.
Great! Let us know how it works. I have not tried it yet but I did try another fix for when mirror post/shaft mount to the door is loose. It has worked for a couple if years. If anyone needs that fix here is a link (I used four 3/4" long 1/4"X20 NSC allen head bolts for each mirror with lockwashers from NAPA):

http://www.turbodieselregister.com/f...4-mirrors.html

If the chrome tube that goes into the plastic on the door is wobbly, remove the door panel, remove the mirror, take off the gasket, see 4 torx screws, usually 1 or more are stripped out. Tap the hole to 1/4 inch - 20 NSC and install Allen head bolts the same length (3/4 inch) as the Torx screws with lock washers. Tighten them down to the thickness of a penny between the clamp and the base. Just did mine today, worked great, rock solid now.
Dave
Attached Thumbnails mirrors are loose-loose-mirror.jpg  
Old 09-01-2008, 12:21 PM

Thank you for all the info, on the loose mirror problem.
Tswan
Old 06-01-2010, 08:12 PM

thank you thank you thank you.....

had forgot how great this site was, i have visited about 10 body shops that the only way they knew or would recommend fixing was to replace my mirrors
Old 06-02-2010, 12:14 PM

Received 152 Likes on 131 Posts
That's a good fix for the non power heated version.

I did it to mine before replacing them with the power/heated version for the 2nd gen.