2nd Gen. Dodge Ram - No Drivetrain Discussion for all Dodge Rams from 1994 through 2002. Please, no engine or drivetrain discussion.

MAXX Links Installed.....

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2008, 09:53 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MAXX Links Installed.....

I'd like to first send some thanks to my fellow Mopar Enthusiast from the TDR,Hemi Dart,for being the person to first show us these in an earlier post.I honestly never even would have looked twice at mine until he posted them awhile back and am now glad he did because mine were SHOT!.

I was out having some work done to the driveline of my ride and thats when I really looked underneath while she was in the air,trying to make a mental note of what needed attention for this years show season.While my truck was up I looked the sway bars and bushings over and the end links to see what,if any,needed to be done to them knowing what Bill found on his 94 recently.What I found answered some other questions I had and quite frankly I was shocked to see how bad I allowed them to get.The left sway bar end link was cocked at an crooked angle with the bushings flattened the same way and the right one was not much better.

I had to go back today to the shop for a few other minor details underneath on the driveline and while there I addressed the sway bar and end links.Doing the install of the MAXX Links was quite easy and the hardest part was taking the old ones out of the axle housing.A little coaxing with a Big hammer and out they came and thats when I found out how bad they really were.The left one was slipping in and out of the link as the ball-joint was so worn there was nothing left to keep it in and the link bushings were flattened.The right one was ready to pop out of its socket and it too had destroyed link bushings.

The install was easy,just disassemble the MAXX Link and slide the bottom mount into the tapered hole in the front axle and torque to 40ft lbs.All you need to do is make sure you keep the mount level while tightening and the rest is easy.With the truck on the lift I also installed Energy Suspensions Poly Greasable Sway Bar Bushings.To finish the MAXX link install we lowered the truck down almost to ride height and slipped the links and bushing into place from the new lower mount through the sway bar and tightened to MAXX's specifications.We then lowered the truck down and were finished and the install was so easy I was amazed.

What a difference in how the truck handled when I drove it home.It was way more stable going through the corners,didn't dip and dive,and handled the rough spots on the interstate alot better.

I owe Bill a BIG Thank You for showing them to us and would like to thank East Coast Diesel for all their help also with the recent projects.Its nice to know that when you need answers or help there are still some who enjoy our trucks enough to keep us rolling...........Andy
Old 02-11-2008, 09:55 PM
Banned

Here is a photo of the left side sway bar end link that came off of my truck.Now I know its has some 175,000 miles on it but I was really shocked to see just how bad it was.
Attached Thumbnails MAXX Links Installed.....-maxx-links-008.jpg   MAXX Links Installed.....-maxx-links-009.jpg  

Last edited by Hammer; 02-11-2008 at 09:59 PM. Reason: spellin
Old 02-11-2008, 09:57 PM
Banned

Here is a shot showing both links...
The one on the left side of the photo is the drivers side link and you can see how the ball is pulled out further.The one on the right is the passengers side and was very worn but was still intact.Both links show the effects of many years of street abuse on the bushings by seeing how distorted they are.

Also shown here is the sway bar bushing themselves.If you look at them you can see how egg shaped they have gotten over the years.Take note inside them at how rough the rubber has gotten and when they were removed pieces of them came off due to the wear patterns.
Attached Thumbnails MAXX Links Installed.....-maxx-links-006.jpg   MAXX Links Installed.....-maxx-links-004.jpg   MAXX Links Installed.....-maxx-links-005.jpg  
Old 02-11-2008, 09:59 PM
Banned

Here is a shot of the MAXX Link installed and in place.With my truck having the SkyJacker D-25 coils I used the kit made for the lifted suspension(SMX-1224L).It has allowed the sway bar to return to about where it was when the truck was at factory ride height.The MAXX Links are a easy to install product for our trucks and I am very happy with them..........Andy
Attached Thumbnails MAXX Links Installed.....-maxx-links-001.jpg   MAXX Links Installed.....-maxx-links-002.jpg  
Old 02-12-2008, 07:16 PM

You got a link for the links?
Old 02-13-2008, 03:12 PM

Very nice parts...I'm looking at it..
Where can I purchase a kit?? online store...
Old 02-13-2008, 03:52 PM

I need some of those, my stockers are shot aswell.
Old 02-13-2008, 11:06 PM
Banned

Yes I do have a link to their website.Man what a difference in how my truck handles with them and my sway bar doing what its supposed to do.I should have addressed it alot sooner.Anyway,here ya go with the link to MAXX's site and the place here in York,PA I ordered them through.......Andy

P.S.-If you call them ask for Scot and he will get you fixed up.

http://www.suspensionmaxx.com/

http://americanspeedcenter.com/contact.html
Old 02-14-2008, 05:44 PM

Hammer what did you get for the sway bar bushings?
Old 02-15-2008, 12:11 AM
Banned

I bought Energy Suspensions poly bushings for the sway bar.
Old 02-23-2008, 03:19 PM
Chapter President

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I installed a set on my truck today. I actually noticed a difference in the way the front end feels, which kind of surprised me to be honest. My old ones were in rough shape but not totally gone.

Install was just as Andy mentioned, the hardest part of the whole deal was getting the old ones out, a couple of good hits with a hammer and they popped out.

Thanks for the the heads up on these Andy and Hemi Dart.
Old 02-24-2008, 01:59 AM
Banned

Mike..
I was also amazed at the difference in the front ends feel and response.They have been in two weeks and I have noticed a definite difference in how the truck handles through turns and maneuvering through traffic.They were some of the best money I have spent on my truck......Andy
Old 03-01-2008, 07:17 AM

Just arrived mine from Summit!! I'll post photos once installed...
Old 03-15-2008, 11:17 PM

Does anyone know if there are any differences between the 99 and 00-02's when it comes to these? when I plug in the part numbers on summit it only comes up for 94-99's, and to the best of my knowledge (not much!) they should be the same?

Summit has already jerked me around twice sending me the wrong stuff and I THINK this is what I do need to order, but I'd prefer to not have yet another return for them to process .
Old 03-15-2008, 11:29 PM

nvm, looks like there was an update in 2000 of some sort , and summit doesn't carry that version of the endlinks, so I ordered mine straight through Suspension Maxx who obviously does carry the updated version...

I will say the customer support at summit was very polite and handled my returns nicely, but geesh I've been driving around for a month now with a disconnected sway bar mostly because they can't seem to get my order right! Kinda frustrating when each time they were sure without a shadow of a doubt that was the part I needed .

Quick Reply: MAXX Links Installed.....