2nd Gen. Dodge Ram - No Drivetrain Discussion for all Dodge Rams from 1994 through 2002. Please, no engine or drivetrain discussion.

Manually Move Power Seat-1996 Dodge Ram 1500

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2021, 01:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Manually Move Power Seat-1996 Dodge Ram 1500

Just wanted to give some very good news to anyone experiencing a dead power seat and a great need to move it manually. I researched and read everything for days. Everything from it can't be done on a Dodge Ram to very elaborate, complicated, time-consuming, destructive ways to accomplish this. ALL you have to do to manually move it forward or backward is to open the driver's door, set a little stool right inside the open door to sit on, 'lift up' the little flap of material at the very bottom of the left side of the seat, right in front of you, and you will see a little white, plastic square receptacle built into the bottom of the seat. Get an "S2 Square driver bit" making SURE it fits in the square hole very tight. You don't want any slop or you'll strip out the plastic and not be able to do this so easily again. Do NOT force an 'S3 Sq bit". Make sure it is a snug-fitting S2 Sq bit. Put the bit in a drill driver and set it to turn to the LEFT if you want the seat to go forward or RIGHT if you need it to go backward. Start very slow so you can make sure it turns properly without stripping the plastic and you can actually see the seat begin to move. Then drill away! It goes extremely fast and it works!!! Yes, it CAN be done manually on a Dodge Ram. Without taking the entire seat out. Without cutting into the fabric, etc., etc., etc. As far as any other direction, up, down or whatever your switch buttons do, forget about it. It's forward and backward. This enables you to now drive your truck not only more comfortably but SAFELY!! Also, you don't have to use a drill driver. I can only imagine the frustration and cussing if turning this by hand! But it could be done. I wish I could have come across this information straight-forward as I've tried to make this. It would have saved me hours and hours of research that only provided me with unnecessary, to say the least, B.S. I KNEW there was a simple way! Just was not easy coming across it. Thanks, everyone!