2nd Gen. Dodge Ram - No Drivetrain Discussion for all Dodge Rams from 1994 through 2002. Please, no engine or drivetrain discussion.

major problems

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2003, 10:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
major problems

Hey all just wondering if any body has had the same problem with their tail lights. thurs i noticed that my tail lights were not working. i had brake lights but no running lights. i had my wife check and when i hit the brake pedal my dash lights came on!! they would turn on and off in sync with the brake lights. so this morning i took it to the dealer (towbin dodge in las vegas) and he said they would "check it out" well long story short they tore the whole dash outwithout my knowledgeand have to order a new wiring harness and a new dash "cover" because the mech messed something up. > they are also supposed to fix what i can only explain as "slop" in the sterring shaft. the service writer who didn't look old enough to shave told me i can pick it up when i return from portland next weekend and it will have no more creaks and squeeks than it did when i brought it in. i some how think he is blowing wind up my skirt. on a side note does any body have exp with towbin dodge. I am hoping my baby pulls through. oh yeah they tried to put in a new headlight switch that didn't fix it :'( :'(
Old 09-28-2003, 11:30 AM

Re:major problems

was the fuse for the tail lights out? sound to me like a bad light socket in the rear at least thats where i would have started...
Old 09-28-2003, 11:48 AM

nope checked the fuse and looked at both sockets. i could not find anything wrong. that's when i had to take it in. :-[ I have led tail lights but have had no problems as of yet. i was replacing one of them when i put the new bulb in and checked it i discovered i had no tail lights who knows how long they have been like this , i don't do alot of night driving.
Old 09-28-2003, 12:28 PM
Chapter President

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Grounding problem????? Or stop lamp relay, I've seen both cause this problem before.
Old 09-28-2003, 12:50 PM
Administrator / Scooter Bum

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts

Make double sure that you didn't place a single contact bulb in a double contact socket.

I've seen that a few times and it drove the mechanics NUTZ trying to find a short in the wiring.
Old 09-30-2003, 02:02 PM

Girlfriends truck did the same thing and it turned out to be the stop lamp relay. Worth a look anyhow.
Scott
Old 09-30-2003, 04:47 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I had the new engine put in at Desert Dodge in Vegas. Test drove a CTD yrs ago at Towbin and dealt a little with their parts. I wasn't impressed with them.

Mike
Old 10-02-2003, 08:49 PM

Mine did the exact same thing, but it was the headlight switch. Just cuz they told you it wasn't it, I ask to see the old one. Mine looked like it was in the oven for about 30 minutes. Can't always trust the dealer, one in town SUCKS >, one in Vallejo I've had nothing good servicefrom.
Old 10-06-2003, 01:45 PM

My truck did the exact same thing...! I replaced the headlight switch to no avail. It ended up being the Alpine stereo I had installed - the "dimmer" wire, which is used to dim the factory radio's display, was not needed with my new head unit - so the wire had been clipped. The exposed end of it was grounding to the dash behind the radio, and it would kill the tail lights only. Brake lights worked fine.

Hope it's something like this, it was a PITA to figure out! Good luck,
-scott
Old 10-08-2003, 12:51 PM

kinda weird that people wouldnt tell u that you dont have any lights? i recently bought a new burban for the woman and we had it for 2 weeks and brake lights....makes me wonder what this world is coming to.
Old 10-08-2003, 10:03 PM

Re:major problems update

Ok got her back and all is well. i asked the mech what was wrong and he said that my led tailights witch i have had on for over a year caused a short witch fried part of the wiring harness. they replaced it and i put red glass bulbs in just to be on the safe side. ( no warranty issues) so happy to get her back that i treated her, and installed a bhaf. i thought the wine with a k&n was loud. Boy was I wrong!!! Love the sweet music
Old 10-09-2003, 08:09 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

good to hear it was resolved. Hard for me to believe the short was caused by the LED's when we all know they draw less amps than a normal bulb. Can you say, 'scapegoat?'

Mike
Old 05-06-2010, 11:48 PM
vrj

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I just purchased LED tail lights and the drivers side tail light shorted. The LED housing shorted on the turn signal/brake light circuit but the tail light circuit still lit up and was fine.

The passenger side LED tail light works fine with no problems.