2nd Gen. Dodge Ram - No Drivetrain Discussion for all Dodge Rams from 1994 through 2002. Please, no engine or drivetrain discussion.

Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2002, 05:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act

The D-Celerator web site sez: Automotive manufacturers such as Dodge, General Motors, Ford, Freightliner, and Spartan have publicized the fact that the addition of aftermarket products does not void their warranties. There has been a lot of confusion about this issue, but federal law actually prohibits manufacturers from voiding warranties based on the addition of aftermarket parts unless they can prove that the aftermarket item caused a failure in the vehicle<br>The Magnuson-Moss act sez:<br>http://www.drdetailshop.com/magnuson_moss_act.htm<br>http://www.mlmlaw.com/library/guides...s/undermag.htm<br>http://www.autopridegroup.com/mag-moss.html<br><br>Do you agree with D-Celerator?<br><br><br>
Old 12-10-2002, 07:07 PM
Administrator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re:Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act

Old news. Always remember, you are your own warranty station.
Old 12-10-2002, 07:18 PM
Admin Team Leader

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts

I think that while the law is rather specific in nature, by the time Joe Consumer finishes jumping through hoops trying to force the issue, he will have spent more than the cost of most repairs.<br><br> Sadly these companies have so many high powered legal eagles on retainer that it is very hard to gain the upper hand.
Old 12-10-2002, 07:32 PM

No matter what it says....when they deny your warranty because you are BOMBed...what are you going to do ??? Pay for the repair or a lawyer : Just know that you are without a doubt your own warranty station or leave it stock. JMHO.
Old 12-11-2002, 09:53 PM
HC

I agree with the others. If you add a brush guard and Dodge refuses to replace your lift pump, I think you could win, if you were willing to fight it a bit. But if you have power-enhancing mods, anything that happens to the engine or drivetrain is going to be YOUR problem. Dodge turned down the power for a reason - to keep things from breaking. You can't turn the power back up and then expect them to pick up the tab for what breaks.
Old 12-12-2002, 03:46 AM
Chapter President

Most dealers and DC know we are bombing these trucks...the same is true with ford and chevy...the troubles are if the dealer does the warranty repair then DC finds the failure was caused from a mod we did the dealer gets charged back for the repair and if he cant pass that charge unto you he eats it...that why they look for mods to the truck<br>If you bomb your truck pass the builders intended performance levels and you break your truck be ready to pay...of course we have rights too...say your radio is not working and the dealer says its stopped working because of the extra vibration from your increased horsepower from bombing...well at that point you may have good gounds to sue for warranty or use Magnuson-Moss Act provision that requires customers to try to resolve warranty disputes by means of the informal dispute resolution mechanism before going to court<br>Boils down to you play then you pay....remember warranty is only someones name on the check...by that I mean if your civil about it Good Will Policy could come into play
Old 12-12-2002, 10:14 AM

excelent post, pappyman. I have found that patience and communication with the dealer can pay off. Obviously you have to find a good dealer and all of that, but when you are reasonable with a good dealer, they treat you well. Of course, some dealers are just scum, but thats another story...<br><br>Sometimes, guys don't get it that relationships are important. Probably, I've spent more time talking with my service manager than any other customer of that dealership, and He's told me how he appreciates getting involved without some kind of argument or dispute being involved. most people don't talk with the SM unless their upset about something. I've also made a point to use only one service writer, so these guys know me and treat me like a person. so far so good.<br><br>An opportunity fell into my lap one time, all over some minor thing, to show patience and to strengthen my relationship with the dealer. I asked them to investigate oil fumes in the cab and to verify the integrity of the cowl seal according to TSB xxxx (I forgot which one). The dern mechanic dismissed the issue entirely becasue the TSB wasn't written for the 02. Without even opening up the hood to check, I involved the SM. He found the cowl seal had fallen off and boy did he chew out the mechanic in front of me! Anyway, I just told them no big deal, and i was happy to give them more time to do it right. They're pretty nice to me now . And they put new foam parts on my cowl and even added new material to it (in addition to the factory seal). Now I'm no longer talking about relocating the puke bottle.<br><br>Anyway, just wanted to agree with your good post, and your comments about good will. --Doug
Old 12-12-2002, 02:11 PM

Received 263 Likes on 235 Posts

Good posts about goodwill- I have been a car mechanic for some years , and now I am in computer services for some industrial customers. <br>I must admit, that if Joe X comes in and chews my ear off, kicks my shins, and (no need to get more literal) and then Jim Y comes in and is at least friendly and civil... guess who'll get the better service in the end. This hasn't anything to do with me wanting to be an (insert rude word here) to Mr X.. It's simply human. <br>Also do keep in mind that most of the times the things a mechanic has to repair were either messed up in the factory or broken by yourself.<br>So he will assume out of sheer being used to it that this is the case with your problem too. <br><br>Stepping from soapbox<br><br>AlpineRAM