2nd Gen. Dodge Ram - No Drivetrain Discussion for all Dodge Rams from 1994 through 2002. Please, no engine or drivetrain discussion.

Louvered tailgate question

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2003, 08:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Louvered tailgate question

Hello<br>I have been thinking about a louvered tailgate. <br><br>Has anybody ever ran one on their second gen., and noticed any increased mpg?<br><br>I know it might be slight, but it should be measureable over time.<br><br>Thank You
Old 03-31-2003, 10:46 AM

Re:Louvered tailgate question

Sometime within the past year (not much help i realize) a post about running a louvered or open tailgate was discussed... As always comments varied.. For some it was the best thing since sliced bread and for others it offere nil results. But I do remember several posts that commented that the with a shortbed truck it didnt make much difference since the overhead airflow was not hitting in the truck bed/on the tailgate..<br><br>hopefully someone else will chime in here..<br><br>
Old 03-31-2003, 11:08 AM
Banned

I'll say this much. I can tell a difference in gas mileage. Only on the highway though running 70. With my tailgate removed (straps are broke from riding with it down and hitting to many bumps), I got 18 to the gallon running 80-90 from Houston to Freeport. On the way home, I put the tailgate back on (yes, I put it in the back seat for this reason), I got 15 running the same speed. Is it significant, not really. It was more of a P.I.A than anything. I just as soon leave it up. There is something I read about in a magazine that at certain speeds, it will drop your tailgate for you. And when you stop, it will raise it.
Old 03-31-2003, 01:00 PM

Check this out than decide whether or not you want a lourvered gate. Maybe, just for convenience, one with a notch for the fifth or gooseneck hitch. I can tell you that in an accident, the tailgate is most of the support along the bed rails. (Don't ask :'()<br>tailgate
Old 03-31-2003, 06:28 PM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

[quote author=wheezer link=board=5;threadid=12950;start=0#122601 date=1049137209]
Check this out than decide whether or not you want a lourvered gate. Maybe, just for convenience, one with a notch for the fifth or gooseneck hitch. I can tell you that in an accident, the tailgate is most of the support along the bed rails. (Don't ask :'()
tailgate
[/quote]
I've seen the same kind of reports and there was even one that used a Dodge Ram pickup in various configurations. Tailgate up,, tailgate down,, flat tonneau cover,, and cab height shell,, and if I remember right,,,, the best mileage was had by the open bed-tailgate up configuration.
On another note, my Dad had bought a louvered (no V-notch) tailgate for his 95 F-150 and upon towing his fiver for the first with his windows cracked open,,,, he had to pull over due to hearing something that was sounding like a trailer brake squeeling. You guessed it,,,,,, It was the wind going through the louveres. It drove him so nuts,,,, he took it off for the duration of the trip. He has since bought a 2000 2500 Ram (V-10 : ) ,,,,,,, He now tows like I do and that is with the stock tailgate up.
Anyone looking for a singing Ford tailgate,,,,,,,,,, contact me,,, I think he still has it!