2nd Gen. Dodge Ram - No Drivetrain Discussion for all Dodge Rams from 1994 through 2002. Please, no engine or drivetrain discussion.

A lot of oily grease in front of block. Is this from the breather tube?

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2007, 02:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A lot of oily grease in front of block. Is this from the breather tube?

I just purchased this 2001 Dodge Ram and I am new to the diesel forum. I see a hose on the driver's side of the block IN THE VERY FRONT that runs down into a rubber device (cup). Is this the breather? Is there anything supposed to be in the cup like a filter? It looks like the hose just goes down into the cup and that's it. The area around that rubber cup is covered with an oily film and grease. Can you help me please?
Old 09-08-2007, 02:32 PM
Chapter President

That is the "puke bottle" and you are correct it is a breather for the engine. Should be cleaned every time oil is changed, no filter just a dirty little bottle. Most times it is way overlooked. Check also to make sure that the oil is not caked on the radiator, as this will cause some overheating issues.
Old 09-08-2007, 03:46 PM

Originally Posted by wurkenman
That is the "puke bottle" and you are correct it is a breather for the engine. Should be cleaned every time oil is changed, no filter just a dirty little bottle. Most times it is way overlooked. Check also to make sure that the oil is not caked on the radiator, as this will cause some overheating issues.
Thanks for the info Wurkenman, I just got done cleaning it off everything including the radiator fan shroud and block and steering box and now I have to go get it off me. Thanks again for being nice to the newbee! Rob
Old 09-08-2007, 09:58 PM
Chapter President

That's what we are here for. By the way welcome to the site, as you can see by my number of posts I am fairly new here also.
Old 09-08-2007, 10:26 PM

azmusclecar,
A lot of us have gotten rid of the puke bottle altogether and extended that hose down and back a little. It`s only a ten minute job and it keeps the radiator and engine nice & clean.
Also, it`s a good idea to fill out your signature so we know what kind of a truck yer talkin about.
Welcome to the site
Dave
Old 09-09-2007, 03:20 AM

how do we fill out the signature?

I have looked and havent found it?
Old 09-09-2007, 07:25 AM

Originally Posted by rogerL1961
I have looked and havent found it?
In the blue bar near the top of the page you'll see "user CP", thats where you enter your info, just click it and go.
Old 09-09-2007, 10:03 AM

Originally Posted by davemac
azmusclecar,
A lot of us have gotten rid of the puke bottle altogether and extended that hose down and back a little. It`s only a ten minute job and it keeps the radiator and engine nice & clean.
Also, it`s a good idea to fill out your signature so we know what kind of a truck yer talkin about.
Welcome to the site
Dave
Thanks Dave....yea I forgot all about the profile. I'm a member on alot of other forums and I am usually the one asking newbees to fill theirs out. MY BAD!

I like the idea of removing that bottle, it just doesn't make sense where it is. I guess the design engineer had too many martinis at lunch when he decided it should be where it is.

I have been trying to read up on all the stickys educating myself as to what to do and what not to do and like mnay other forums there is such a wide array of varying opinions on everything from what fuel filter to use to adding a power module to not not adding one ............so this feels right at home to me. I just need to get up to speed on diesels, this one being my first.

One member already chatised me for not reading everything on this forum BEFORE I bought the truck. He scolded me on not knowing about the block code 53.

Wow........what a moron I amI'll try to catch up
Old 09-09-2007, 12:40 PM

Originally Posted by azmusclecar
One member already chatised me for not reading everything on this forum BEFORE I bought the truck. He scolded me on not knowing about the block code 53.

Wow........what a moron I amI'll try to catch up

Don't beat yourself up tooo bad over not edumacating your self before buying. I found this site and another after i bought my truck after i found these sites and started looking at my truck real good i found i have that 53 block oh well i guess i just have to hope for the best
Old 09-09-2007, 12:59 PM

My truck did not come with a breather bottle, and had the breather tube recall done. This turned the breather tube into a front axle lubrication device. I put on a new longer more flexible tube and attached it to a custom built catch can with drain. No more driveway drips! Now, to fix the leaky oil pan gasket.
Old 09-09-2007, 03:52 PM

Originally Posted by JSPulliam21
My truck did not come with a breather bottle, and had the breather tube recall done. This turned the breather tube into a front axle lubrication device. I put on a new longer more flexible tube and attached it to a custom built catch can with drain. No more driveway drips! Now, to fix the leaky oil pan gasket.
Well mine is just a 2WD. Do you have pics of your custom catchcan? Sounds like you have the right idea. My truck (knock on wood) has no leaks and I hope to keep it that way. My homeowners association freaks when it sees spots in the driveway and lord knows we can't have our homeowner's association upset.
I guess everyone has their priorities in life, except my homeowners association just doesn't have a life! yes I know....I accepted that when I moved into this place! ARGH!
Old 09-09-2007, 10:14 PM

most HA's are a joke. there is no way i would let a group of snooty pencil pushers tell me what to do with the property that i would be forking over my hard earned $$$ for.

now if the pres. of the HA was a diesel person, that would be cool.
Old 09-09-2007, 11:22 PM

puke bottle

Thanks for someone finaly explaining what and where a pukre bottle is. I posted the question about two weeks ago .great forum

Thanks bob