2nd Gen. Dodge Ram - No Drivetrain Discussion for all Dodge Rams from 1994 through 2002. Please, no engine or drivetrain discussion.

Loose steering

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2003, 09:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Loose steering

I have been complaining about a rattle/vibration felt through the steering wheel for quite some time now, the only answer I get from the awsome dealership is (cannot duplicate problem) I seem to get that alot. Well I was under my hood today I grabed the steering shaft from the box up to the firewall and I could move it up and down around a 1/4". I think this may be the root of the problem, just wondering if this shaft should have some play up and down or should it be solid? I hope this is the problem as I am running out of warranty and sick of getting the cannot duplicate problem response. It is as if they are trying to push problems aside untill the warranty expires, I have actually had to physically show them what was wrong with my truck before I could get it fixed a couple of times now, I thought they were the mechanics not me. On a good not after I showed them the brakes were seperating from the backing plate they actually replaced them under waranty today but again they said could not duplicate so I got the shop foreman, service manager and a mechanic to pull the brakes again and I pointed to them were the seperation was. Poor dealership I guess. > ;D
Old 06-26-2003, 09:35 PM

Re:Loose steering

Holycack?<br>I just noticed in your signature that your running the 285's BFGS. I had the same tires (but they were getting bare) and the same symptoms as you. As soon as i changed out to new rubber and different brand i noticed my steering was just fine again. Those BFGS while looking great can also over time be a detriment to your steering qualities.
Old 06-27-2003, 03:42 PM

hmmm. so far my dealer is ok with the 285 BFGs they sold them to me right off the lot when the truck was new . I assume that your tie rod ends, ball joints, and track bar are all ok? I had new rod ends and a new track bar installed 1,500 miles ago, and to my disbelief the track bar is shot again. <br><br>ditto on being the mechanic for the dealer though. what a hoot that is. I asked them to &quot;make sure that my cowl seal under the hood stays on&quot; and to notice that it was falling off. they said &quot;would you please show me what you mean?&quot;<br><br>If I may ask, did you find a 285/75 tire that worked better on the road? hate to give up my BFGs but when they wear out I'd consider something else, especially a higher load rated tire for towing a 5ver.
Old 06-28-2003, 10:42 AM

Tell you the truth I'd hate to stray away from BFG I have run them for 10 years now and I get excellent mileage, load capacity, and have never had a flat, puncture, or tear. As far as I'm concerned its BFG all the way unless someone can prove otherwise. BTW I have 80000 KM on my current tires and can still go another 10-20000 on them and I tow alot of heavy loads.