2nd Gen. Dodge Ram - No Drivetrain Discussion for all Dodge Rams from 1994 through 2002. Please, no engine or drivetrain discussion.

Looking at a 96 12v, need advice

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2009, 05:00 PM
SMS

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looking at a 96 12v, need advice

Hi Guys. The truck I'm looking at has 130k on it, it is a single cab, 4x4, auto. It has new tires. I stopped and looked at it, and even though it was advertised as being rust free, there were bubbles starting over the quarters, and some on the rockers. You had to really look to see them though. Issues the truck has besides the bubbles, are: loose steering, fuel gauge doesn't work, and cracked winshield. So the front end probably needs new parts, and to get the fuel gauge to work, well who knows?

Does this truck have a 'p' pump? Is this a good year 12v to modify, or is a 97 better? I know nothing about the older 12v trucks and don't want to buy an endless money pit. The truck will be a toy as I already have another truck as a daily driver. My overall impression is that this is a well worn farm truck. The man is asking 7.5k or best offer for it, does this seem about right? I know a 97 5 speed seems to be the ultimate, but finding one close to me seems to be a problem.Any advice or input is welcome. Thanks

Steve
Old 08-09-2009, 05:09 PM

Originally Posted by SMS
Hi Guys. The truck I'm looking at has 130k on it, it is a single cab, auto. It has new tires. I stopped and looked at it, and even though it was advertised as being rust free, there were bubbles starting over the quarters, and some on the rockers. You had to really look to see them though. Issues the truck has besides the bubbles, are: loose steering, fuel gauge doesn't work, and cracked winshield. So the front end probably needs new parts, and to get the fuel gauge to work, well who knows?

Does this truck have a 'p' pump? Is this a good year 12v to modify, or is a 97 better? I know nothing about the older 12v trucks and don't want to buy an endless money pit. The truck will be a toy as I already have another truck as a daily driver. My overall impression is that this is a well worn farm truck. The man is asking 7.5k or best offer for it, does this seem about right? I know a 97 5 speed seems to be the ultimate, but finding one close to me seems to be a problem.Any advice or input is welcome. Thanks

Steve
The '96 has the same P pump as the '97 AFAIK. Of course you probably know about the infamous KDP. Find out if it has been done, or make sure to take care of it ASAP. A new fuel sender will most likely take care of your gauge issue (around $70). The auto trans is pretty much worthless in stock form on these trucks IMO, but a built tranny will last the life of the truck.
Loose steering is normal in stock form, but for not too much money you can add a steering stabilizer and a 3rd gen track bar conversion, and it will improve the steering most dramatically. The price seems extremely high to me, especially since you are not on either coast. I just purchased a '96 ex. cab LB 2WD auto for $2k this past week. Of course the auto is shot on it (leaks massively), it has over 300k on the clock and the interior of the cab is let's say extremely worn. But it has a set of killer rims, and the body is in overall good shape and the engine runs extremely smooth. I intend to use it mainly for parts and of course the 12V engine.
Old 08-09-2009, 06:02 PM
SMS

Maybe I'll offer him $6000 and see what happens. I am not in a big hurry. I haven't seen too many 4x4's that didn't have major problems advertised for less. He said the trans was replaced with a "heavy duty" one. I need to find out what he is talking about. It also has stacks which I can't stand.
Old 08-09-2009, 06:03 PM

Hey Steve I have a 2001 dodge ram and i was extremely excited to find one and start modifying it. My advice tho is to be aware of the bubbles! When i bought my truck there were some bubbles on the driv side bed panel... Oh i thought no big deal... but rocks get behind where the inner panel and outer panel meet and wedge in there rusting the metal out from behind, and body shops do not like repairing them. First i tried to fix it but it didnt last, so then i found a nice bed from the local salvage yard, and a week later it started to bubble. apparently it had a rock started from the prev owner.... also check the bottom of the doors for rust... If you like fender flares none of this matters... if i liked fender flares i would have a new turbo or half of a rebuilt tranny by now
Old 08-09-2009, 06:11 PM
SMS

Originally Posted by dsl dave
Hey Steve I have a 2001 dodge ram and i was extremely excited to find one and start modifying it. My advice tho is to be aware of the bubbles! When i bought my truck there were some bubbles on the driv side bed panel... Oh i thought no big deal... but rocks get behind where the inner panel and outer panel meet and wedge in there rusting the metal out from behind, and body shops do not like repairing them. First i tried to fix it but it didnt last, so then i found a nice bed from the local salvage yard, and a week later it started to bubble. apparently it had a rock started from the prev owner.... also check the bottom of the doors for rust... If you like fender flares none of this matters... if i liked fender flares i would have a new turbo or half of a rebuilt tranny by now
Yeah I know the bodies on these years are terrible. My dad had a 95 which is still in the area, and the door edges are gone. I can't see how a Midwestern truck could go through 13 Michigan winters and not show a little rust. I can deal with a little rot, as I am not looking for a show truck. I am mostly interested in the engine and drive train. I'd like to see what a 2nd gen looks like with fender flares.
Old 08-09-2009, 06:14 PM

Originally Posted by SMS
Maybe I'll offer him $6000 and see what happens. I am not in a big hurry. I haven't seen too many 4x4's that didn't have major problems advertised for less. He said the trans was replaced with a "heavy duty" one. I need to find out what he is talking about. It also has stacks which I can't stand.
I waited patiently last year and was able to pick up a rust free '96 ex cab long bed 4x4 5sp for right at 4k. It needs a new paint job as the paint was totally sunbaked, and the cab wasn't in the best of shape, but I will be doing a quad cab conversion on it soon enough. My point is, if you are patient enough, you will be able to find a good deal. Happy hunting.
Old 08-11-2009, 07:20 PM
SMS

Went and drove the truck tonight. Runs and shifts good, steering is alot looser than my 03 gas 1500 Dodge. Is this normal? Also, in addition to the afore mentioned issues, ABS light is on, and A/C clutch is shot.

KBB value on this truck is barely $6k in excellent condition. The market sure has dropped. Seller said his bottom dollar was $6.5k, but he has changed the price on the sign twice.

For the right price I would buy this truck. I have to consider the cost of travel to get a cleaner truck here to Michigan also. I dunno. Input?
Old 08-11-2009, 07:32 PM

Originally Posted by SMS
Went and drove the truck tonight. Runs and shifts good, steering is alot looser than my 03 gas 1500 Dodge. Is this normal? Also, in addition to the afore mentioned issues, ABS light is on, and A/C clutch is shot.

KBB value on this truck is barely $6k in excellent condition. The market sure has dropped. Seller said his bottom dollar was $6.5k, but he has changed the price on the sign twice.

For the right price I would buy this truck. I have to consider the cost of travel to get a cleaner truck here to Michigan also. I dunno. Input?
There are plenty of trucks going dirt cheap right now if you are willing to travel a bit; and of course patience is important as well. I have seen trucks going so low it would make your head spin. There is no way I would think of buying that truck for the price indicated.
Steering on the 2nd gen trucks is not as nice stock compared to the 3rd gen trucks, but with a steering brace and a few steering upgrades, it can be improved to about the same quality.
Old 08-11-2009, 08:06 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Offer $5k maximum, give him your phone number and walk away.
When he can't sell it for what he's asking maybe you'll get a call before you find something else.
Old 08-12-2009, 04:36 PM
SMS

Originally Posted by infidel
Offer $5k maximum, give him your phone number and walk away.
When he can't sell it for what he's asking maybe you'll get a call before you find something else.
That's what I just did...he's thinking it over.
Old 08-13-2009, 11:42 AM
Banned

One strategy that has worked for me is to first confirm that they have the title & then pull out a pocket of $100 bills. I've never been turned down when the bills are laid out on the hood. The risk of that strategy is that you'll get car fever & over pay. At least you won't go away without a truck.
Old 08-13-2009, 03:57 PM
SMS

I decided to pass, just too many things wrong that could result in big$$ to repair. Plus who knows what is getting ready to go any minute. Also, I read this thread:

https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...e-t249137.html
Old 08-13-2009, 04:34 PM
Administrator

Received 172 Likes on 130 Posts
SMS, coming from GM's I can assure you they have their problems as well.

I can't fault my Dodges one bit.

When someone finds that perfect truck, let me know.
Old 08-13-2009, 07:10 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Also, I read this thread:
Truck in that thread is a 24 valve, big difference between it and the 12 you were looking at.
Old 08-13-2009, 08:09 PM
SMS

Originally Posted by infidel
Truck in that thread is a 24 valve, big difference between it and the 12 you were looking at.
I guess one of the things that made me change my mind is that I don't know what I'm looking at as far as expense, and what matters and what doesn't when it comes to looking at these older trucks. I was figuring the whole front end would need rebuilding, fuel sending unit, brakes, exhaust, plus a new a/c compressor. Also the body was just STARTING to show some bubbles,so you know in a few years there will be holes. I could see $10k wrapped up in no time.

Quick Reply: Looking at a 96 12v, need advice