2nd Gen. Dodge Ram - No Drivetrain Discussion for all Dodge Rams from 1994 through 2002. Please, no engine or drivetrain discussion.

Load Boss Alternators

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2005, 06:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Load Boss Alternators

Anyone have any experience with these? At 143K miles, I believe my OEM alternator has gone south. After searching the forums here, I've done some diagnostic checking; cables, connectors, voltmeter, etc. Based on the strange noise heard the past few weeks from the front of the engine while idling, I am convinced it's the alternator that needs replacing.

I've run across a website called 4alterstart.com, and they offer a Load Boss Alternator, which is a standard NippenDenso that is wound for 205 amps. It'll fit on the OEM bracket and uses a stock 8 groove pulley, but requires 4 gauge charging cable to the battery(s). What I like about this, it provides 100 amps of charging at 800 engine RPM, a plus for me in the winter, operating the Boss snowplow with it's electric hydraulic pump.

The only kicker is, installation of this alternator on a diesel application, nulls their lifetime warranty. I have not contacted the company for details on this, yet.

I am wondering if anyone's installed one of these on their trucks, and the pros and cons.
I notice the alternator fuse in the underhood power distribution center is rated at 140 amps, and would think I'd need to upgrade that as well.

I also remember reading somewhere once, that Leece-Neville has a 140 amp alternator that produces 100 amps at idle for our trucks, and that it uses the OEM pulley and bracketry.
Any ideas?

Thanks
Old 11-15-2005, 12:31 AM

Leece-Neville's been around for a very LOOOONG time.. (6v automotive electrical systems.)
They've been producing really "killer" alternators (and generators!) since the early days of powering idling police cruisers equipped with heavy Motorola 2-way radios containing battery-eating 6volt dynamotor power supplies!
Personally, I believe I'd trust L-N's advertised(rpm/output) ratings better than someone's rewound std unit. SPECmanship in advertisment gets bizzarre at times...
So, they won't warranty a super-high output rewound unit in a diesel application that might actually USE that much power on a large percentage of the time??? I'd pass it by.

What I understand about SOME rewound high output units is they use a few less turns of a slightly heavier wire guage and require a little higher minimum RPM than STD units do to put out the same equiv minimum RPM output. Although this may not be the case with this brand you are looking at, keep looking... There are some good alternator vendors out there that aren't scared of diesels.

Keith
Old 11-15-2005, 09:59 PM

Check the fostertruck site. When I got the new starter contacts for my truck I saw that he also sold an alternator kit and a replacement alternator. I do not remember much about it at the moment, but it may be an idea.

Randy
Old 11-15-2005, 10:54 PM

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
I think our trucks will put out pretty close to 100A at idle already. There might not even be enough difference in an aftermarket unit for you to notice.
I'll have to pay attention next time I do an output test on one.
Old 11-23-2005, 02:18 PM

Well, after much research, and having the truck down, I went ahead and ordered a Load Boss 205amp alternator last week and installed it this past monday. $250 for the unit, and $25 for 4 gauge charging cable from them. It included the pulley, and came with instructions and a printed test report of the unit.

Installation was a breeze, it's exactly the same case as the OEM. The original charge cable connection at the back of the alternator is not attached(I taped it up and secured it)and the new cable is run from there directly to the positive post of the driver's side battery. All of the other smaller wire connections are used. The alternators on our trucks are voltage regulated throught the ECM, and have internal cooling fans.

WOW! On start-up, the grid heaters still suck the voltmeter down, but as soon as I start driving, this alternator can deal with the load demand and volts are back up to 14 before reaching the 20MPH point when the grid heaters stop cycling. The headlights hardly dim at all now.

I did clarify their warranty coverage before buying, and, since it advertised for diesel use, it is covered. I know it's too early to tell how it will perform in the long run, but will post if anything bad happens. I couldn't find any info on a Leece-Neville, and the only other high-output alternator I found that would work was close to $500 in cost.

Thanks for the replies, I'll get parts for the old unit and rebuild it myself and keep that as a spare.
Old 01-05-2009, 07:16 PM
vrj

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Any updates regarding users using the Load Boss alternators?
Old 01-06-2009, 01:35 AM

Mine is still operating fine, although I have not checked the amperage it's putting out, now.

And me bad, still haven't gotten around to rebuilding the OEM!
Old 01-06-2009, 01:27 PM
vrj

Ruralmedic,

I'm looking into upgrading my truck to the 175amp version. Per your prior comments, you installed your 205amp alternator back in Nov. 2005.

Do you have any issues with your alternator? Also, do you know if their starters are upgrades over the factory OEM starters?
Old 01-06-2009, 04:53 PM

I installed 160 amp upgraded version that is a direct knockoff of the Denso alternator. It was brand new. Caught on sale for about 150 if recall. My varation of the additional wiring was run a wire too the passenger battery from alt output terminal. This way power is not decreased with bad connections and one battery effectivelly eliminated. The aftermarket does not know about two battery installations.
L/N good but way to expensive and difficult to mount as I recall.
You did good - you'l love it!
Oh! yes! The 140 amp fuse is not to battery, but to electrical loads. It should not be a issue.

Last edited by dozer12216; 01-06-2009 at 04:56 PM. Reason: add info
Old 01-07-2009, 01:42 AM

Vrj: No issues with the 205 amp alternator that I installed back in '05. It is working fine to the best of my knowledge, I'm just curious as to what it's amp output is now. I'd like to think it's still putting out 100 amps at idle, but have no way of checking that.

No idea on their starter motors. If you're having starter issues, do a search on starter contacts. I replaced mine with the oversize contacts, and haven't had an issue since. That's the weak link. The starter itself should last 300,000+ miles.

Regards
Old 01-07-2009, 04:30 PM
vrj

Ruralmedit - Thanks for the response. I'm planning on picing up an alternator soon, probably the 175a version. I'll then rebuild the stock alternator and keep for a spare.

Regarding the starter, I have no problems with mine. Its just that I have approx. 215k miles on the truck and want to replace it before it goes out on me (preventive maintenance). Is the stock OEM starter a gear-reduction starter?
Old 01-07-2009, 05:40 PM
vrj

PA Performance sells a 200a alternator for $330.00 for the 2nd Generation Dodge Rams. It also sells one for the 3rd Gen. (180a):

http://www.paperformance.com/scripts...?idCategory=44

Ad text on the alternator:

Dodge Diesel Power !

New!! We build the ultimate alternator for your 5.9 Diesel Cummins powered Dodge truck.

Replace the stock Bosch or Nippondenso factory alternator for the last time on your 89-02 truck.

Replace the stock:
110 amp unit (45 idle amps)
136 amp unit (56 idle amps)
160 amp unit (60 idle amps)

The New PA Unit will make 125 amps at idle, a whopping 185 amps at 1400 engine RPM holding maximum power all the way to the redline...

Power where you need it.

Price Includes conversion plug if needed based on year of truck.

** NOTE ** there were two types of alternators used, one had a side facing B+ output stud and one was rear facing. Our unit will come with a rear facing stud. The wire will reach and there are no clearance issues, but be aware that this can be a difference and the wire may bend tightly as a result.

NEW NEW NEW !! We now have a self exciting or 1-wire version of this alternator available. If you are putting the 5.9 Diesel powerplant into a vehicle not wired for it, this is your answer - no external regulator, no wiring. Just the main power feed wire and a small signal (key on / key off) wire to the alternator.
Old 01-07-2009, 06:43 PM

Originally Posted by vrj
Regarding the starter, I have no problems with mine. Its just that I have approx. 215k miles on the truck and want to replace it before it goes out on me (preventive maintenance).

Put some of Larry B's contacts in it. I did about 500k miles ago. The last time I had to pull it (lift pump replacement) I pulled it apart to look at the contacts. They were burnt less than the stockers were when I replaced them. Or not, your money.
Old 01-08-2009, 10:36 PM
vrj

Games - Thanks for the tip. Where can I pick up the Larry B's contacts?
Old 01-09-2009, 07:48 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Here ya go!

http://www.fostertruck.com/dodge/default.htm

John (DH)

Quick Reply: Load Boss Alternators