2nd Gen. Dodge Ram - No Drivetrain Discussion for all Dodge Rams from 1994 through 2002. Please, no engine or drivetrain discussion.

Like to hear your opinion on selling a 2ng gen

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2007, 10:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Like to hear your opinion on selling a 2nd gen

I have a 2002 QC HO 4WD 6 speed with only 44,000 miles. I like the new trucks and am considering selling the 2002. I am a bit undecided as to what to do, maybe those of you that have done it can help me decide.

I like the 2002 truck and hate to part with it since it is like new. My concern is that to make it steer and ride as nice as a new truck I will have to put thousands of dollars of parts into it. This money needs to be spent fixing what Dodge built poorly to begin with. Also, the new trucks are so quiet, which is nice. What I don't like about getting aftermarket upgrades is, from my experience, they add nothing to the value of the truck so you basically have wasted the money when you go to sell.

I have driven a new truck and there is no comparison in steering and ride, plus I'm drooling over the 6 speed auto. I know I can buy the Thuren steering stuff and some Carli suspension and the truck will probably steer and ride better than a new one. But what about the other gotchas like the VP44, lift pumps, crappy headlights, ball joints or the noise?

I looked on Ebay and trucks with twice the mileage are going for $25,000. So that would be nice towards a new truck. So which is more foolish, to spend $20,000 on a new truck or $10,000 on an old truck?
Old 04-10-2007, 10:39 PM

I would spend some money on your 02. The only reason I would like to sell my 2nd gen in favor of a 3rd gen is due to the crew cab. It would be nice to have four real doors. Also, I think you would be real lucky to get what you feel your truck is worth. Factory incentives and low interest rates have killed the used vehicle market. Eric
Old 04-11-2007, 12:44 AM
Banned

doesn't sound as though you have any money issues. you already have a nice truck but it's noisy. it's "like new" but doesn't steer like a new one. you don't like aftermarket parts because they don't add value. why haven't you already traded that junker in?
Old 04-11-2007, 02:12 AM

Well I will tell you the way an old mechanic told me! You are better off to get what you want and what will make you happy! Either way you are going to make payments! You either make payments to the bank and dodge or to the mechanic and the parts store! So you may as well get what you want!!
Old 04-11-2007, 03:59 PM

I just decided to keep my truck. Im putting a few grand into it now. I know its history and what has been done to it. It's never let me sit and has never given me problems. Im happy with it and it suits me and my wife for now. Some day in the future I may get a newer truck, but after looking at pricing these days Im not sure if Id bother for a while. Unless I actually come across a low mile newer truck that isn't abused I may consider it. Too bad they want as much as a new one though. Also, if dodge ever does the extended warranties again I might consider it. For what its worth, buying something thats just going to depriciate drastically as you drive off the lot just isn't worth it to me especially if you already have something that works fine. Also, if I had 44k on the ticker I wouldn't even be considering getting rid of it unless its just been a lemon.

Well, thats my .02
Old 04-11-2007, 04:26 PM

I dont see how you are comming up with 10k to make it handle better. It might surprise you how much of a differnce a trackbar and dss would make with only 44k mile I would hope your ball joints and vp-44 will last awhile longer. A fuel pressure guage wouldn't be a bad idea either as far as the noise goes I guess you either hate or love it type thing.
Old 04-12-2007, 04:44 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I thought the rattle was the reason half of the people here like these trucks. But if quiet is what you want, there are lots of quieter vehicles that handle better than 2nd gen Rams. Buy what you like and enjoy it. Sell the 2nd gen to someone who likes a rattling truck.
-P
Old 04-12-2007, 08:09 PM

Amen to that pauldaisy. long live the 12 valve!
Old 04-12-2007, 08:16 PM

i will drive her into the ground unless i come into alot of money
Old 04-13-2007, 09:38 PM

I love to hear that rattling diesel sound!
Old 04-13-2007, 11:01 PM

Received 152 Likes on 131 Posts
Wow. It took me a year and a half to find my 01.5. I paid 21K for it with 53K. Its very clean and I'll keep it till It or I dies! I'm investing in the track bar and dss next. It isn't ten grand. I would think an HO in California would bring more money. You want a new one, I can tell. Let it go to somebody who's been searching for your rig for some time now and go get what you want. My .02.
Old 04-15-2007, 03:29 PM

New dosen't always mean no problems. Enjoy your '02 if it's been painless.
Old 04-15-2007, 03:41 PM

New dosen't always mean no problems. Enjoy your '02 if it's been painless.
Old 04-16-2007, 09:47 AM

New to the forum but I have spent money on steering stuff, still am. Convert to an inverted T set-up, I did with weld-in adapters and GM 1-ton draglink and tie-rod ends. Its some work but not too bad, Get the 3 turn box, 3rd gen track bar and bracket and the DSS and you should be good to go. I still don't have the DSS but the other stuff has made a world of a difference and it is on a 96 with 247k.

All the above should cost around $1,000 and will be good for a long time.
Old 04-16-2007, 10:02 AM

Trust me....going from a 93 Dodge Cummins to an 02 Dodge Cummins and the only thing I can add here is, WHAT RATTLE?? I hear nothing!!

Quick Reply: Like to hear your opinion on selling a 2ng gen