2nd Gen. Dodge Ram - No Drivetrain Discussion for all Dodge Rams from 1994 through 2002. Please, no engine or drivetrain discussion.

Left headlight filling with water!

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2011, 11:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Left headlight filling with water!

I live in a very dry , desert , climate. My 2002 drivers side headlight has been getting condensation in it. Then I looked today and it was about 1" FULL OF WATER! Sloshing around in there. I didn't want it to short anything so I just drilled a small hole and drained it out. Figured it wouldn't hurt. Passenger side and NONE of my other 2 dodge diesels parked next to it were doing it! What would cause this? THanks!
Old 10-20-2011, 10:54 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
If it doesn't have a hole or seal leak perhaps the bulb holder isn't screwed in right or the seal is damaged allowing air to get in and condensate.
Old 10-20-2011, 12:08 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I just had that problem with the right headlight. About a half an inch of water, though we have been having rain. I took the headlight assembly out, popped off the adjusters holding the light to the mounting (doin ghtis will maintain the headlight adjustment). I then carefully pried off the clear lens with a very small screw driver, working it around the light. The lens wasn't difficult to get off. I use RTV in the groove that the lens fits into and pressed it back together and re-assembled. Been working fine and through several severe rain storms. No condensation of any kind. You probably have a lens leak.

A phillips screw under the turn signal light mounts the light. Remove the screw and push the light forward. It fits in a rail. You'll see a bolt below where this light was, which mounts one side of the head light. Another bolt is on the other side of the light towards the top, and a third will be below that one and will have to be accessed from underneath, behind the bumper. Rotate the fender side of the headlight forward and toward the radiator. Once clear of the fender above, lift it light up and out.