2nd Gen. Dodge Ram - No Drivetrain Discussion for all Dodge Rams from 1994 through 2002. Please, no engine or drivetrain discussion.

LED Backup Lights? Good idea?

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2005, 09:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
LED Backup Lights? Good idea?

I want better backup lights but don't want them on the hitch, so I bought some 50W "super white" backup bulbs here a little while back. However, Sylvania listed two possibilities and I got the wrong one (isn't 1157, is 3157) so what I'm wondering now that I have a second chance at this would LED backup lights be a good idea? Here are the ones I'm thinking about, I actually emailed the seller asking him the same questions but I'm expecting a highly biased answer from him. What do you think? If LEDs pull a lot less energy and somehow these things take 27W then they must be as bright as headlights. It'd be nice to have LEDs in there instead of a standard bulb since they won't get as hot, plus I doubt I'd relay it for that low of wattage.
Old 11-13-2005, 10:29 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
I wish I could say, but if you decide to take the plunge, please try one in one side and take pics so we can see both sides lit, in low light, of course. I am interested in this as well.
BTW, my external backup lights are hung under the rear leaf spring support, which keep them away from the hitch and tucks them way under the truck, for protection, and less noticability. I you need a pic, let me know.
I used the KC light kit from JC Whitney, because it also comes with a relay, for less draw on the factory wiring, and the ability to trigger the relay from a separate wire, so you can use the lights when not in reverse.

Chris
Old 11-14-2005, 04:56 AM

I think it is a great idea, would really like to know how they work out. I see just below the pic "18 watts"?

I have just the single white led's for the license plate lights. I had them laying around, and got tired of patching up the rotting plastic bulb holders, so I hard wired em up. I fully expect them to be the last bulbs I will ever need to put in there.

Nice thing about the led's is the small amount of heat as well. No concern for melting plastic, even with the higher output. Good luck with it, Kevin
Old 11-14-2005, 06:52 AM

The seller has 3 about of these similiar bulbs; this one is 27W 18 LEDs Per Bulb, he also has 24W 32 LEDs Per Bulb, and 27W 24 LEDs Per Bulb. I wonder if I could talk someone at AutoZone into giving them a try/ taking them back if they didn't work how I want them to, I know they carry LED bulbs there.

Valid point on the license plate LEDs, I just replaced one of mine but I figured the last guy put the wrong size wattage in there which caused it to fail. At least it was only like $13 from the ***********.
Old 11-14-2005, 09:09 AM

Originally Posted by Stamey
BTW, my external backup lights are hung under the rear leaf spring support, which keep them away from the hitch and tucks them way under the truck, for protection, and less noticability. I you need a pic, let me know
I mounted mine a little deeper under the truck. I use my truck out in the forest for camping and firewood gathering. I did have a set hung of the bumper till I crush one on a tall rock.

So I moved mine down under the truck and mounted them on the rear diff cover. The sway bar back there protects them from being hit and so far they have last over 20K miles without blowing a bulb!

Then I added a switch to my stick so I could turn on the reverse light without having to put the tranny in reverse. This is great for when you got to hitch up a trailer at night. Or if you drop something on the ground.

My Reverse Lights...

My Reverse Light Manual Switch

Just give you a different ideas to play with...
Old 11-14-2005, 09:53 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
One thing you should realize about LED lighting is that they are not measured by wattage but they are compared to equivelant wattage brightness, this is a mistake. The factory backup lights have a problem in they are behind a slightly smoked lense built into the tailight assembly and you will be very disappointed with these bulbs for backing illumination. Aftermarket lenses with a clear backup lense and higher wattage bulbs will give you more light without mounting extra units on the bumper or elsewhere. The second problem with the factory lighting system it was never designed to illuminate the rearward area but to indicate the vehicle is backing up to other motorists as per DOT regulations. Also I checked this unit out on e-bay and although the number of satisfied customers is good there was some disgruntled people. I would check out Superbright LED's on the internet who are a major supplier of auto LED replacement bulb base units and offers some explanations about LED technology. Energy draw is reduced along with heat output but an LED is a direct light not reflected which is why there are different unit designs for emission direction. When I built the deck for my truck I used 17 LED lights which draw .03 less amps than the factory 2 tail light bulbs. All my trailers are updated to LED which takes the strain off of the wiring system, down side is cost but I will not use bargain junk everything is from Truck Lite. Going on 2 years NO replaced lights NO repairs. Research before you buy or your disappointment will be far greater than just 2 lighting units. PK
Old 11-14-2005, 05:09 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Mopar1973man,
Now those are WAY under there. I thought I was getting radical.
Good idea though, since the sway bar it there to protect them.

Chris
Old 11-14-2005, 05:29 PM
Banned

WOW!! You must live on a road made of foam rubber.
I can't believe they would last a week on the interstates I run.
Old 11-14-2005, 07:20 PM

From my records I got they have lasted almost a year now and over +20K of rough forestry dirt roads! I love it at night no one can see them under there.

POP!... and the road behind me is lit up good!

Easy to clean too... Shoot them with a garden hose and I'm done... Maybe in the summer I might wipe them off. But so far they stay clean...

I've got a extra set of 100W aircraft landing lights I though about installing but I think that's over kill now!
Old 11-17-2005, 07:45 PM

Originally Posted by P Kennedy
they are not measured by wattage but they are compared to equivelant wattage brightness
Yea, that is what I was thinking. I lost determination to try the LEDs for backup bulbs, just don't seem bright enough over a wide enough spectrum. After all the high wattage backup bulbs are basically H3 bulbs (driving light) with a different base, how many LED driving lights are there....

Thanks for the inputs, I'll follow up with what I end up doing.
Old 11-17-2005, 09:00 PM

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts
Mopar1973man, nice light setup. Get someone behind you with their high beams on, and lo and behold, the sun really does shine out of your butt..

I used to have KC Daylighters on the back of my service truck, made for some good clearance/backup/day lights. A little overkill though. I like your setup.
Old 11-18-2005, 08:19 AM

I need them for my snowplow's directional lights- I blow out at least 2 1157 bulb per season in them- but that guys shipping is piracy- $9.00 for Usps priority S&H?! It's $3.85 for 1Lbs anywhere in the US, add $3.00 for handling and he's still more than covered- he's a theif on that aspect alone.
Old 11-18-2005, 11:25 AM

Originally Posted by pind
Mopar1973man, nice light setup. Get someone behind you with their high beams on, and lo and behold, the sun really does shine out of your butt..

I used to have KC Daylighters on the back of my service truck, made for some good clearance/backup/day lights. A little overkill though. I like your setup.
I got to admit these have tamed some of those high beam quite nicely! But I never looked at the same way you do! I like the comment above! ^^^

Those are just plain ol' 55 Watt tractor lights...
Old 11-19-2005, 05:51 PM

Originally Posted by justme-
I need them for my snowplow's directional lights- I blow out at least 2 1157 bulb per season in them- but that guys shipping is piracy- $9.00 for Usps priority S&H?! It's $3.85 for 1Lbs anywhere in the US, add $3.00 for handling and he's still more than covered- he's a theif on that aspect alone.
Yes and no, they nail you to the wall for shipping the first item but most have combined shipping which helps alleviate the pain there. But the overall picture is how much would it cost elsewheres? I found the 194 LED lights at AutoZone for $10ea and have found them online for $2ea + shipping.