2nd Gen. Dodge Ram - No Drivetrain Discussion for all Dodge Rams from 1994 through 2002. Please, no engine or drivetrain discussion.

Lazarsmith's New Under Hood Light Kit

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2007, 01:13 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We all know how poor the lighting in the engine bay is after dark..... but not anymore!

I bought Lazarsmith's second set of prototype 'Under Hood Light Kit'. (Bnold got first set. ) They are spectacular! Two 55w headlight bulbs mounted to bottom of hood, just behind grill. Wiring runs nicely inside hood support framing (with a little twisting, feeding and shoving) and can be hidden completely.... but I believe the mass produced version will have a wiring harness that runs up the drivers side of the hood. Mine was easy, due to hood noise blanket... only had to hide last 2-3' of wire!
Just remove factory light and use that hot 'wire' and ground to feed all this light. Bulbs mount in existing holes in the hood, with Lazarsmiths brackets.... as does the on/off switch on drivers side (see pic #1)!

Lazarsmith's inventive owner is toying with a three bulb set as well, but the placement of these two bulbs is so perfect, I see no need! JMO.

I think flash was 'off' for the last photo which was outside with no lights around, but not sure. Will do-over tonight and be positive!

ALSO, With hood closed and lights on, you get a spectacular 'Dragon Eyes' effect through the grill (pic to follow) when driving down the road.

RJ
Old 09-04-2007, 05:07 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Nice! Looks like Mike has been busy!

MikeyB
Old 09-04-2007, 05:32 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I'm jealous!

The lights look even better than on the 3rd gens, since they backlight the grill...

Just so everyone knows, I've had this light system on my new truck for tens of thousands of miles... on the original bulbs! So apparently it's a pretty durable design.
Old 09-04-2007, 06:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Very nice!

Have you tried washing down under the hood yet?

IE: Is there a seperate switch so you can turn them off vice blow them up?

Jim
Old 09-04-2007, 07:46 PM
Banned

Nice work Mike!!!!!
Old 09-04-2007, 09:54 PM

Where can a set of these lights be purchased. Thanks, Bob
Old 09-04-2007, 09:59 PM

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by NoSeeUm
Very nice!

Have you tried washing down under the hood yet?

IE: Is there a seperate switch so you can turn them off vice blow them up?

Jim
Yes, there is a seperate on/off switch that can be used to turn the lights off. I think Mike is working on a couple of switch options for the kits.
Old 09-05-2007, 06:09 AM

Looks very nice Rowland, as we would come to expect from Mike.

Mike, can you work on a stainless steel beer (or flask ) holder with a gimbal mount that attaches underhood? That way, when working on the truck, I don't have to get off my big bumper.

~Rob
Old 09-05-2007, 08:09 AM

Originally Posted by NoSeeUm
Is there a seperate switch so you can turn them off vice blow them up? Jim
Yes. Not real clear but click on first picture above!
Only on if you want them on!

RJ
Old 09-05-2007, 10:27 AM

Thanks Shane

Until I get that page up at http://lazarsmith.com (hopefully later today!) the easiest way to get them is to PM me.

The Lazar Lites can be switched manually with an underhood toggle, or automatically when you raise the hood. Either way, they can be turned on with the hood closed if desired. Wiring can be routed through the hood reinforcements for the DIY'ers, or a plug & play harness will be available that snaps into the driver's side of the hood.

Rob, that'd be a pretty slick setup, but I've always made do with a 5th of single barrel in a CamelBak...
Old 09-05-2007, 11:41 AM

not to bash your product XLR8R but i would think with the lights all the way up there when you try to go work on the engine your shadow will block out all the light. Maybe move the light lower on the hood or put them on the radiater support.
Old 09-05-2007, 02:12 PM

Actually, they're better at illuminating than a trouble light... since there's two of them, it's not possible to work in your own shadow.

Their position keeps them out of the way of your head (or a swinging hammer! ) and provides area lighting around the front of the truck... it's like working in your garage at night with the hood off.

You certainly wouldn't want to mount them on the radiator support! I'm under the hood as much as behind the wheel.... did I mention this system has survived for years on this truck?
Old 09-05-2007, 11:53 PM

thank you for you explanation i will take your word for them because i have not seen them or worked with them. And i know you put alot of R/D into your product i was just simply stating my opinion from the small picture i saw at the top of the page. I also spend moretime under the hood then i do drive them. I am mechanic by trade. Oh and about the radiator support idea that just popped into my head i never actually spent the time to go out and look at my truck to see what kind of issues would arise if mounted in that position
Old 09-06-2007, 06:44 AM

Underhood Pics....with flash off, in a pitch black warehouse, at night!

'Cats Eyes'....... Lights on, hood closed! (my Bull Bar gets in the way, but you can get an idea of the effect!

RJ
Old 09-06-2007, 07:45 AM

Dont know if the "flash off" pictures do this kit justice. It is really bright under the hood when these lights are on, I mean like see all the way down the sides of the engine and everything!... No comparison to the cheezy little factory thingy. I need to get some pics and get them on here of mine... Darn girlfriend has run off with the camera!!

On another note as to the bulbs location, you would not want the lights too much lower down the hood. the way they are mounted they are above your normal field of view. That way your not staring into the bright light and having to work around those dang black/blue dots in your eyes (you know when you stare at something bright and that spot of your eye is temp blind )

Quick Reply: Lazarsmith's New Under Hood Light Kit