2nd Gen. Dodge Ram - No Drivetrain Discussion for all Dodge Rams from 1994 through 2002. Please, no engine or drivetrain discussion.

The last 3 months of owning my truck have me loosing my hair

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2009, 11:47 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ive had my 00 for 3years now and the only problems besides 2lps, 3clutches( my heavy 14's fault), the steering wheel/headlight problem, and the cracked dash i havent much of any other problems. I love my dodge and catch heck from my family for it but i just remind them f how many million mile dodges are out there compared to their chevys
Old 08-05-2009, 11:51 PM

jeeeeeeesus you guys should start a lemon club, as per my sig. I must be the luckies person that ever bought a dodge. I'll buy another new one soon. Dodge has always made the best drivetrains for decades IMHO. I take mine in the fields at least twice a week, my ball joints are still almost perfect, I've only rebuilt the trans. once, complete suspension overhaul except for the springs once, painted once, heater and AC core once (last week). It rides great, only a couple rattles. Good luck !
Old 08-06-2009, 12:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Joseph Filippi
jeeeeeeesus you guys should start a lemon club, as per my sig. I must be the luckies person that ever bought a dodge. I'll buy another new one soon. Dodge has always made the best drivetrains for decades IMHO. I take mine in the fields at least twice a week, my ball joints are still almost perfect, I've only rebuilt the trans. once, complete suspension overhaul except for the springs once, painted once, heater and AC core once (last week). It rides great, only a couple rattles. Good luck !

Don't get me wrong....I'm not complaining. I wouldn't trade mine for anything else. I bought a Dodge because I wanted a real truck & also wanted the thing to sound like a real truck & not like some pu$%y powerchoke. I've had mine since 02' when I bought it new. If you take care of these trucks they will take care of you.....
Old 08-06-2009, 12:10 AM

i agree im not complain i will take my dodge on its worst day over almost all of the chevys at the house.
Old 08-06-2009, 12:17 AM

Originally Posted by Joseph Filippi
Originally Posted by rednekroper05
i agree im not complain i will take my dodge on its worst day over almost all of the chevys at the house.
btw....What was the steering wheel/headlight problem that you were talking about? What years did that affect?
Old 08-06-2009, 12:22 AM

it is when you pull your steering wheel down and the headlights quit working . All that happens is a wire on the back of the dimmer switch pulls out of the connector. As far as i know it can happen on almost any year model
Old 08-06-2009, 07:25 AM
Administrator

Received 172 Likes on 130 Posts
I think we all perceive things differently. Kind of like some guys need a trophy wife, some need a partner.

My old girls are partners, they may have a few age related stretch marks, but better companions/partners are not to be found.
Old 08-06-2009, 09:21 AM

The more bells and whistles you buy the more things can fail.

I've got a '76 Chev 4x4 that just keeps on going.....and I've used it to push snow for the last 15 years! But there is little to quit going compared to the truck you guys are listing.

I've got a '84 Ford F250 6.9, same story.

I've got a '93 Dakota with 3.9. It still has the original exhaust. Nothing done to it except oil, brakes, tires. It has 274,000 miles.

How about a '65 Case tractor. Still looks(kinda), starts and pulls like when it was new.

There is not such thing as a "shade tree mechanic" anymore. You must have specific tools, test instruments, skills, knowledge. If you don't, and most of us don't, we have to pay someone to fix what we use to be able to do. That is exactly why sites like this exist, God bless them because people need them.

That's progress!! Every thing has a price tag. The more you purchase the more it cost then AND latter.
Old 08-06-2009, 09:39 AM

Originally Posted by JasonblkZ06
Yeah I guess towing some more stuff and beating the snot of it on a daily basis would have kept the window regulator, map light switches, fuel sending unit, evap core and dash from breaking.

Not only does your post not make any sense, it is hard to read with not one single form of punctuation. I am not talking about the engine and drivetrain here, that has been reliable. Working and towing have nothing to do with the parts that are failing.
You might not like my grammer, or punctuation...

But my truck runs fine and all of it's auxillary features work fine.....

go figure?

now go hurry up because you have a report to file and a truck to take to the mechanics....

grammer police regards,

NCA
Old 08-06-2009, 09:56 AM

Originally Posted by seahawkdodge
I didn't necessarily mean that you had abused it, but the previous owner may have. In addition, 8 years of any kind of use tends to wear on things, especially on such a heavy truck.

The worst freaking parts on these trucks, are the brakes and steering. Both will kill you, and both are parts the engineers should be ashamed of ever being a part of.

I think you should relax, fix the truck, and enjoy it after the financial pain has faded... Unless you're rich, in which case you can just buy a newer one.
No, the previous owner did not abuse it either. The truck was purposefully bought b/c the previous owner who had only put 45K on it never towed anything other than a jet ski and the bed was brand new (non work truck). He had added a few things to it so I knew he took pride in it and had immaculate record keeping. Like I said it looks 3-4 years old now, so imagine what it looked like 5.5 years ago.
Old 08-06-2009, 10:05 AM

Originally Posted by Nor_Cal_Angler
You might not like my grammer, or punctuation...

But my truck runs fine and all of it's auxillary features work fine.....

go figure?

now go hurry up because you have a report to file and a truck to take to the mechanics....

grammer police regards,

NCA
All of my stuff works as well after I fix it and the truck has always run fine. It is all the little stuff that is engineered like crap that pisses me off that broke in the last few months. I was simply making a point that if Chrysler were to make a decent product they might sell repeat vehicles. The only mechanics it sees are for alignments, mounting and balancing tires, or A/C freon since I do not have the equipment to do that work.
Old 08-06-2009, 10:18 AM

rember if its got t/ts or tires its going to give you trouble
Old 08-06-2009, 10:57 AM

Originally Posted by JasonblkZ06
All of my stuff works as well after I fix it and the truck has always run fine. It is all the little stuff that is engineered like crap that pisses me off that broke in the last few months. I was simply making a point that if Chrysler were to make a decent product they might sell repeat vehicles. The only mechanics it sees are for alignments, mounting and balancing tires, or A/C freon since I do not have the equipment to do that work.
ok, maybe we got off to the wrong start....

I write as if I were talking to you, not as if I was writing an essay for a college thesis. Thus the reason for abstract "," and the "...." those items of punctuation are used to symbolize a break or kinda like "hmmm, I'm thinking" just as if you or I were having a conversation.

I guess my point that I didnt get to clearly enough was that sometimes when you "baby" things the old saying rear's it's ugly head..."if you dont use it you lose it"

my experience is based upon my other truck..1999 GMC 1500 that I have tricked out to "show" condition and put BIG HP to...

I have noticed that because I baby it and it has REALLY low miles, (35K) things seem to not work as well. My power window motor on the passenger side is very slow to come up..it sometimes hans up going down as well. My AC is getting warmer and warmer because I rarely use it...I have noticed my driverside front brakes are begining to ware faster (probally a hung caliper) I have more "creeks" and "rattles" from stiff joints not getting the excercise and lubercation that a normally drivin truck would.

That was the point I was making, I know that things just fail, but I also think that if it was a part ment to be used and you do not use it...it will fail just as fast.

I also understand that some of the parts you listed are items that "are" used evey day such as steering linkage, ball joints etc...But a truck that sits, IMHO will wear out fast.

take it easy, hopefully things turn around and the truck gets better for ya.

NCA
Old 08-06-2009, 11:04 PM

Well after owning an 01 for almost 5 years I'm thinking that I have to agree with the last post. My truck couldn't have been babied anymore if you tried. Part after part failed.. I think you have to run them as if you just stole it. Driving it easy did it no favors, I have replaced the brakes so many times I'm going crazy. 0 loads, just me and me only, and they last 12000 miles. From now on I wait till I'm almost past the stopping point and then its 2 feet to the floor to get it stopped. Funny thing is the brakes are now working fine. I always said if someone used these trucks for work the parts would be all over the road, but I think maybe the opposite is true. Pound the crap out of it and have some fun, it won't cost you any more in the long run.
Old 08-06-2009, 11:20 PM

i will admit dodge could have done some things better. The dash for instance. But still every company will have similar problems.

Everybody will always be looking for how to build the perfect mouse trap but i doubt there will ever be such a thing

Quick Reply: The last 3 months of owning my truck have me loosing my hair