2nd Gen. Dodge Ram - No Drivetrain Discussion for all Dodge Rams from 1994 through 2002. Please, no engine or drivetrain discussion.

Lack of power steering

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2003, 03:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lack of power steering

My power steering seems to cut out when I turn the wheel without rolling. For example when backing up to load my trailer, it makes it hard to line up due to the fact I have to be moving in order to turn left or right. The power steering also seems to hum a bit when turning at low speed low RPM conditions. I have brought this up to my local dealership and they replaced the power steering pump. This did not help, I was wondering if this is normal or if there is a fix? >
Old 05-22-2003, 02:26 AM

Re:Lack of power steering

Nobody loves me nobody cares I guess if nobody wants to answer me I will have to post my problem on the PSD site and see what they have to say about it. :'( :'( :'(
Old 05-22-2003, 06:21 AM
Administrator / Scooter Bum

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts

Some have seen success by changing to synthetic Power Steering Fluid, others have had to replace the power steering pump to find relief.
Old 05-22-2003, 07:48 AM

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts

Haven't done it myself but have read where some people had a similar issue and the screen at the bottom of the pump was full of crap seriously impeding the flow. Cleaned it out and problem solved. I need to check it myself. A couple months ago I went out to leave for work and I had no power steering or brakes as I backed down my steep but short driveway. Pulled back in, restarted and same thing. Started driving up the street and by the time I got tot the end of the block it was normal and has not done it since.
Old 05-22-2003, 10:21 AM

Try a synthetic Power Steering fluid. I run Royal Purple MAX-EZ PS Fluid in mine. I did have a pump go out on my old RAM, so I dumped in the RP a couple months after I bought this one and have had absolutely no issues at all with the power steering.<br><br><br>Tony