2nd Gen. Dodge Ram - No Drivetrain Discussion for all Dodge Rams from 1994 through 2002. Please, no engine or drivetrain discussion.

Just pulled in with a 2001 CTD 4x4 QC

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2011, 02:18 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Tejas TJ
Also the cruise control doesn't work, I hear its ran by a vacum... any suggestions?

Thats the clockspring recall I was talking about. The dealer will fix this for free if it hasn't already been done.
Old 02-23-2011, 10:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The oil is only on the bottom part of the engine, seems like its the oil pan... but this guy never washed underneath the truck so its got dirt mixed with tons of oil so it's like a caked on oil mess under there... the sides of the engine dont really seem to have oil on it.

The power steering pump does have oil all over it and the steering gear box does too.
You might just try tightening the oil pan bolts/nuts. Like others have said you are getting some sound advice.

What exactly is wrong with the cruise? I have had issues with mine as well. Good luck with the truck and welcome.

swordfish
Old 02-23-2011, 08:38 PM

might also want to check the puke bottle if it still has one.
Old 02-23-2011, 10:33 PM

I'm kinda confused about the puke bottle. Does someone have a picture of exactly where it is?
Old 02-24-2011, 07:17 AM

Puke bottle is mounted to the timing cover on the front of the engine. On the timing cover you will see a piece that looks like a hockey puck with a hose coming out. That hose should lead to the puke bottle attached in that general area.

swordfish
Old 02-24-2011, 01:18 PM

Ok I see. Could I just throw the bottle in the trash and put on a long hose and route it along the inside of the frame rail and let it hang around the firewall area?
Old 02-24-2011, 01:31 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ok I see. Could I just throw the bottle in the trash and put on a long hose and route it along the inside of the frame rail and let it hang around the firewall area?
Yes. I used 3/4 PVC and dumped it below my starter.
Old 02-24-2011, 07:04 PM

Well I've seen the pvc example but I kinda thought a black hose would be more consistant with what was already on the truck.

Any ideas or examples (pictures) about what I'm thinking about doing with rubber hose?
Old 02-24-2011, 08:46 PM

Tejas make sure when you route another piece of hose,or pvc, whatever you choose make sure you do not kink the hose coming out of the crankcase. When I had my 01 I removed the factory bent hose along with the bottle and replaced with washer hose, big mistake, ended up closing off the vent. The pressure sent oil out thru my turbo!! Took me a couple days to figure it out and almost 1000.00 bucks for a new turbo. I went back to the factory prebent hose and extended it down the framerail without the bottle. Just my expensive .02 Goood luck with your truck. Welcome to the CTD world you will enjoy it. Brian
Old 02-26-2011, 02:27 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Well I've seen the pvc example but I kinda thought a black hose would be more consistant with what was already on the truck.

Any ideas or examples (pictures) about what I'm thinking about doing with rubber hose?
I just add more hose let it hang down about 4" below sway bar . it seems to just hit the ground and not the truck
Old 02-27-2011, 04:06 PM
Banned

You might try downloading the 01 fsm from pdftown.
Old 02-27-2011, 05:16 PM

Also the cruise control doesn't work, I hear its ran by a vacum... any suggestions?

Check to see if the vacuum hose is leaking going to the cruise servo. Runs from the firewall down to the cruise. I just pulled the hose from the fire wall and check by pulling a little vacuum on the hose and see if it holds. If not check the hose for leaks. If you have a large leak usually you have problems with switching from defrost to heat on the floor inside the truck. Does the light come on the dash when you turn the cruse on but will not set?
Old 02-27-2011, 10:36 PM

Originally Posted by helidrivr
Tejas make sure when you route another piece of hose,or pvc, whatever you choose make sure you do not kink the hose coming out of the crankcase. When I had my 01 I removed the factory bent hose along with the bottle and replaced with washer hose, big mistake, ended up closing off the vent. The pressure sent oil out thru my turbo!! Took me a couple days to figure it out and almost 1000.00 bucks for a new turbo. I went back to the factory prebent hose and extended it down the framerail without the bottle. Just my expensive .02 Goood luck with your truck. Welcome to the CTD world you will enjoy it. Brian
Thanks for the advice, I would have done this and screwed my turbo for sure.

What parts are you guys using to extent the hose, pics would be nice.
Old 02-27-2011, 10:42 PM

Thanks for the vacuum help on the cruise... I will be without the truck this week it's at my wifes uncle's shop getting the oil leak fixed. I wish I could fix it but I know nothing about the diesel engines and hes a great diesel mechanic and has already done quite a bit of work on my dads poor Ford 6.0L

When he was looking for the oil leak he told me to turn my steering wheel back and forth and said the trackbar is needing replaced so once we get some more cash I will be replacing/fix it... now I have another question. I have a 2" leveling kit on the front end which is throwing my steering wheel off and has the axle more over the drivers side. Should I put some lukes links on it and have an alignment shop straighten the wheel or should I cough up the dough and buy an adjustable trackbar?
Old 02-27-2011, 11:09 PM

You guys need to learn to embrace our Cummins's oil leaks. It's Active Rustproofing, and dust abaitment for wherever you park! On a more serious note I'm going to have to change my front seal here pretty soon, not too excited about it.

Quick Reply: Just pulled in with a 2001 CTD 4x4 QC