2nd Gen. Dodge Ram - No Drivetrain Discussion for all Dodge Rams from 1994 through 2002. Please, no engine or drivetrain discussion.

Just pulled in with a 2001 CTD 4x4 QC

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2011, 10:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Just pulled in with a 2001 CTD 4x4 QC

WOW!!!! I can't believe it, I finally got a cummins!!!!! It's a dream come true!!!

Get this guys... I did a straight up trade for my 2000 Toyota Tacoma Prerunner with 135,000 miles on it and this truck is a white 2001 QC 4x4 with 213K ranch hands front and rear, rebuilt auto with an HD torque converter, new 315 BFG A/T's, Edge chip... Now for the ugly.

It was a county boys work truck, the bed is in rough shap, the interior smells and is stained, the steering is lose (track bar, steering damper, maybe box), at the car wash the windshild leaded in two places at the top and water leaked down the windshild inside, the brake light on the guage cluster is always on, oil is really black is that normal for a diesel??? And most of all there is a pretty bad oil leak landing on the front axle housing a little on the driver side and it is covered in oil. Guy said a shop told him its between the power steering box but I'm not sure.

Can you guys start helping me out... What are things I need to do first and get fixed... is the oil ok, should I get a fuel pressure guage immediatly, should I go ahead and pick up a lift pump... Has anyone heard about an oil leak in that area???

Old 02-21-2011, 12:57 AM

Do an oil change on it first off. Black oil is common, especially on a turned up engine, but you may as well change the oil and filter, and the fuel filter, so you know when its done and not just going off the PO's word.

The oil leak could be a number of things. First to come to mind is front main seal, or the tappet cover. Get some degreaser and hose down the engine and get it shiny, then you can see where the leak is coming from. It could also be a vacuum pump feed line leak.

Get a fuel pressure gauge. What it tells you will determine if you need to upgrade your lift pump right away or not. Not that its a bad idea to upgrade anyway, but you could put it off for a little bit if the pressure is good and there are more pressing issues elsewhere.
Old 02-21-2011, 07:46 AM

Thanks the comments, I really appreciate it.

1. When I wash the engine should I let it idle? Should I use the degreaser first and then spray it down? What should I not get wet?

2. As for fuel pressure guages, could I get the warning light from bddiesel, or should I get a guage... electric ones are expensive, are there any recommended ones?

3. I'm not sure which oil he used and I want to add some oil due to the oil leak before I change the gasket. Which oil should I use, 15-40W?
Old 02-21-2011, 09:08 AM

Originally Posted by Tejas TJ

1. When I wash the engine should I let it idle? Should I use the degreaser first and then spray it down? What should I not get wet?

When I degrease my engine I will spray the engine bay down with degreaser about an hour before I pressure wash it. I don't think it matters if the engine is running or not when you wash it. I leave mine off just in case I get water on the air filter. Things to avoid spraying directly are the alternator and the electronics.

2. As for fuel pressure guages, could I get the warning light from bddiesel, or should I get a guage... electric ones are expensive, are there any recommended ones?

I vote for the electric gauge. If you have the warning light it's going to warn you when it's too late and possibly leave you stranded. With the gauge you can tell how well your lift pump is working at idle to full throttle. Make sure you put a Fuel Snubber inline to save the sensor. I have an ISSPRO EV2 Electric gauge. It's expensive but it works great. I installed it to the right of the stereo with a gauge bracket I got from Geno's Garage.

3. I'm not sure which oil he used and I want to add some oil due to the oil leak before I change the gasket. Which oil should I use, 15-40W?

Shell Rotella T 15-40W from Walmart is a popular brand around here. I would just change the oil and filter for safe measure.

Check the other fluids as well. Tranny, T-case, Power Steering, Coolant, and both differentials.

By the way, Congrats on the purchase! Awesome looking truck.
Old 02-21-2011, 09:39 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
WOW!!!! I can't believe it, I finally got a cummins!!!!! It's a dream come true!!!

Get this guys... I did a straight up trade for my 2000 Toyota Tacoma Prerunner with 135,000 miles on it and this truck is a white 2001 QC 4x4 with 213K ranch hands front and rear, rebuilt auto with an HD torque converter, new 315 BFG A/T's, Edge chip... Now for the ugly.

It was a county boys work truck, the bed is in rough shap, the interior smells and is stained, the steering is lose (track bar, steering damper, maybe box) Could be any of these but start with the obvious first

the brake light on the guage cluster is always on Does the cruise work? It could the ring inside the steering wheel (I'm drawing a blank and can't think of it...plus it's a recall

oil is really black is that normal for a diesel??? Yes but change it anyway and use good filters...and also change your fuel filter

And most of all there is a pretty bad oil leak landing on the front axle housing a little on the driver side and it is covered in oil. Guy said a shop told him its between the power steering box but I'm not sure. I vote for the vacuum pump leaking. Cummins has a repair kit for $10

Can you guys start helping me out... What are things I need to do first and get fixed... is the oil ok, should I get a fuel pressure guage immediatly, should I go ahead and pick up a lift pump... Has anyone heard about an oil leak in that area???Do the key trick (on,off,on) without starting it and read the codes. When you change your fuel filter the cansiter ought to fill back up when you bump the starter but let the pump run 2-3 times before you bust it off. You definately don't want to get air in the lines. You should hear the pump run for 25secs when you bump the starter. Definately get a FP gauge.

Congrats on the truck
Old 02-21-2011, 10:40 AM

and you got a real truck now, glad your oil leak is on the axel and not out of the axel, those inner seals are a pain,,,

a buddy of mine wholesales vehicles, they will take everthing out of the car and pressure wash it, pick a good sunny day, ask any auto detailer and they'll let you know the do's and don'ts

the steering, pretty common problems, but when you get them ironed out you'll still really have a truck my truck is just abiut at the same point on its steering with about the same milage, i've been ordering and replacing (kinda like johnny cash) one piece at a time, what kills me, i have had two shops check my front-end both said "everything looks good" so i check my track bar and ordered a thuren stock style,,,kinda pricey but i plan on keeping my truck, next i'll look at my box, if i have to replace i'm going with a borgenson(sp), a friend put one on his truck and the thing drives like a sports car

ditto on the gauge, i won't drive another w/o one

this week i'm hoping i can finish up my headlights, got all my pieces,,wire, relays fusable links, and lenses, now just need some time in the shop
Old 02-21-2011, 10:44 AM

Thanks... I really enjoyed driving into work this morning, so much bigger than my tacoma.
Old 02-21-2011, 12:03 PM

You really took advantage of that guy. Welcome back to American made.
Old 02-21-2011, 12:56 PM

1. The instructions on the can will tell you what you need to do. Most want a hot engine and let it sit for 15-20 min, then wash it off. No need to run the engine when doing this.

2. Get a gauge. You never know what the light actually comes on at.

3. Depends on your climate which oil you want to run. If you are where it doesn't really get cold, 15w40 is fine. I run 0w40 or 5w40 in the winter, 15w40 in the summer. I get my oil and filters from Cummins.

Originally Posted by Ironstone
Welcome back to American made.
You have that backwards. Chances are, that Toyota was built in the US, and the Dodge in Mexico.
Old 02-21-2011, 10:09 PM

Well didn't have much time to mess with the truck after work tonight. But something really strange happend when I pulled out of work.

This happend about my third turn my power steering went out and then when I got going straight it worked just fine and did give me any problems all the way home, which is about 10 miles of stop lights and several turns. I also stopped at autozone to pick up a manual, a gallon of oil, dot 3 brake fluid, ATF fluid for my power steering.

What do 'yall think is going on with that?

As for the oil leak its insane how much oil is under this truck it starts from one side to the other and all the way to the transmission. I put just under a gallon of oil this thing... like an idiot I didn't check the oil when I bought the truck, was to busy talking and driving it.
Old 02-21-2011, 11:33 PM

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts
Well didn't have much time to mess with the truck after work tonight. But something really strange happend when I pulled out of work.

This happend about my third turn my power steering went out and then when I got going straight it worked just fine and did give me any problems all the way home, which is about 10 miles of stop lights and several turns. I also stopped at autozone to pick up a manual, a gallon of oil, dot 3 brake fluid, ATF fluid for my power steering.

As for the oil leak its insane how much oil is under this truck it starts from one side to the other and all the way to the transmission. I put just under a gallon of oil this thing... like an idiot I didn't check the oil when I bought the truck, was to busy talking and driving it.
oil leak is common from the vacuum /power steering pump, but not too hard to fix
Old 02-21-2011, 11:38 PM

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

atf is not recommended for power steering on the 2001...use power steering fluid
Old 02-22-2011, 06:45 AM

You are getting tons of good, sound advice here. Don't be discouraged- every vehicle has it's quirks. With your dodge, you can carry the Toyota, and still match the mileage...
Dodge CTD's leak oil. It goes with the territory. Upside, you will have no rust underneath. Downside, you have some issues to work through. Your truck holds 11 quarts or so, so a little loss won't hurt it, but do keep an eye on it.
You have a fine truck, with a lot of life left in it. Mine was similar- I bought it off of a friend, but it had been a work truck, used by different employees, and had been neglected. I have pecked away at it, and have a solid, reliable truck now. In a way, it has been a fun experience- taking a truck with wear and tear, and getting it back into admirable shape. If you don't throw in the towel, but be diligent, you will have one of the best trucks on the road in good shape, soon enough. And, you will learn tons as you go along. The people on this forum will become your friends REAL QUICK. Welcome to Cummins Turbo Diesels, DTR, and a bunch of great folks! Enjoy your beast!
Old 02-22-2011, 08:18 AM

The oil is only on the bottom part of the engine, seems like its the oil pan... but this guy never washed underneath the truck so its got dirt mixed with tons of oil so it's like a caked on oil mess under there... the sides of the engine dont really seem to have oil on it.

The power steering pump does have oil all over it and the steering gear box does too.
Old 02-22-2011, 11:53 AM

Also the cruise control doesn't work, I hear its ran by a vacum... any suggestions?

Quick Reply: Just pulled in with a 2001 CTD 4x4 QC