2nd Gen. Dodge Ram - No Drivetrain Discussion for all Dodge Rams from 1994 through 2002. Please, no engine or drivetrain discussion.

Intermittent wiper question...

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2005, 01:26 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Intermittent wiper question...

So I turn on the wipers the other day and what to my surprise, the delay feature does not adjust...stays on the fastest delay. Will not slow down when turning the switch.
I'm not quite sure how this system works, does it use a governor module to control the delay, or is it all contained in the switch?

Either way, what would be the best way to diag the problem?
Old 04-28-2005, 02:21 PM

Check the relays under the hood first. I can't tell from the FSM if there's one relay total, or one relay for normal wiper settings and one for intermittent. The language it uses is a bit ambiguous.

If the relay(s) seems alright, then it's probably the switch. Removing the switch should take about thirty minutes, testing it about thirty seconds. Testing it once it's pulled should boil down to checking resistance between pins 1 and 2. There should be no resistance at the minimum delay setting, and 270-330 kilohms at maximum delay. I'm guessing you'll find no resistance at any setting.

The pins are numbered left and then up with 1 at the lower right as you look into the connector on the switch. I cut and pasted the removal instructions from the FSM below:

(1) Disconnect and isolate the battery negative cable.
(2) If the vehicle is so equipped, unscrew the lever from the tilt steering column adjuster mechanism located on the left side of the column just below the multi-function switch control stalk. Turn the lever counterclockwise to unscrew it from the adjuster.
(3) From below the steering column, remove the two outboard screws that secure the upper shroud to the lower outer shroud (Fig. 26).
(4) Press carefully inward on each side of the outer shrouds to release the snap features and remove the upper outer shroud from the lower outer shroud.
(5) From below the steering column, remove the one center screw that secures the lower outer shroud to the steering column housing.
(6) Remove the lower outer shroud from the steering column.
(7) From below the steering column, remove the two screws that secure the lower inner shroud to the steering column housing and the upper inner shroud.
(8) Press carefully inward on the gearshift lever side of the inner shrouds to release the snap features and remove the lower inner shroud from the steering column.
(9) Carefully lift the upper inner shroud upward far enough to access the multi-function switch
mounting screws.
(10) Remove the two tamper proof screws (a Snap On tamper proof Torx bit TTXR20B2 or equivalent is required) that secure the multi-function switch to the steering column housing.
(11) Gently pull the multi-function switch away from the steering column far enough to access and remove the screw that secures the instrument panel wire harness connector for the multi-function switch to the switch connector receptacle (Fig. 27).
(12) Disconnect the instrument panel wire harness connector from the multi-function switch connector receptacle.
(13) Remove the multi-function switch from thesteering column.
Old 04-28-2005, 04:17 PM

I guess I can't ask for much more than that. Thank you very much.
Old 04-28-2005, 05:57 PM

Originally posted by NOSPIN4ME
I guess I can't ask for much more than that. Thank you very much.
From the look of that procedure, I might ask for someone to remove it for me.

You're welcome. (I didn't type all that, cut and paste is cool.)
Old 04-11-2006, 08:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
dodge ram intermittent wiper delay won't adjust

I have the same problem. '01 Dodge 1500, 5.2 V8, auto, 4 wd, reg cab. intermittent wipers are stuck on the fastest delay. Lo and Hi work fine. I removed and tested the multi-function switch per Haynes manual. Continuity and resistance as should be. Since I had it off I replaced it anyway. It didn't help problem. I swapped the relays in PDC between horn and wiper. No change. Checked all fuses. All good. I pulled off the wiper motor assy and tested the wires. All good. 12 volt to red/yellow on high. 12 volt to brn/white on low and intermittent. 12 volt on blue whenever wipers on (park circuit ?). Ground on green, and also ground on black. With wiper motor removed and wiper switch on everything was good on hi and low. With wiper switch on delay, no matter where on the delay adjustment, you can hear the relay popping 12 volts out to the motor about every 1 second. Tick its on, Tock its off, sounds just like a clock. Haynes manual has no wiring diagram for wiper circuit I visited local Dodge dealer looking for identification of the intermittent wiper control module and/or function. Kids there no help. All the internet parts suppliers I've checked do not list this part, nor give a clue to its location. Does anyone know where this module is, have a part number, or have a wiring diagram for the wiper circuit ? Thanks, doug.
Old 04-11-2006, 08:37 AM

Mine ended up being a relay in the underhood fuse/relay box. I had a spare relay from doing the fog light mod. Swapped that for the bad one and the wipers work fine.
Old 04-11-2006, 10:12 PM

ok, making progress. I went back over to the local dodge dealer. Avoided the kids at the parts counter and spoke with a technician during a smoke break. He pulled up and printed out the wiper system wiring diagram for me. Nice guy. Intermittent wiper control is labeled as 'Integrated Electronic Module', located on 'left side of dash'. Part number is 56020157-AC (for no keyless entry and no heated seats). Part name is Module, Timing. List price $113. The dodge parts counter 'wiper diagrams' are wrong, saying that the wiper control is intergrated to the wiper motor 55076549AH ($117). This is not correct. That part number is the wiper motor assembly w/ motor, gear, linkage. No control. I took mine off and looked at it. Electronic module on this 2001 is under dash, between steering column and ashtray, screwed to a metal bracket. About 11 wires into it, including the violet, yellow/dk green, brown, dark green, and white/dk blue that are involved with wiper and washer. There are also other wires for other timing controls such as the seat belt, and also the annoying little chimer. Its a black plastic box about 4" long, 2" wide, and 1" thick. The plastic case opens up and you can get at the circuit board. I opened my old one up looking for a cracked solder joint. That's probably what's wrong, but I couldn't find it. So I ordered a new one. If anyone wants to get rid of the annoying chime, you can remove the chimer from this board by melting out the solder. Its easy to get at, and won't harm the board if you are careful. The chimer is the BIG black circle about 1" in diameter. More on thursday, hopefully, smoothly intermittent wipers. By the way, I got my multi-function switch at autozone for $42. In order to get that switch off, you will need a hollow torx, about a size 20. autozone has a set of these for $11. Get 2 4mm hex head screws about 1" long to replace the 'security torx' with. They are a pain.
If anyone wants a copy of the wiper wiring diagram, just ask, or tell me how to post it here.
Old 04-12-2006, 04:23 PM

NOSPIN4ME, What relay under the hood. I checked mine and don't see anything labeled for the wipers. Does the relay have a different name or label? Thanks Pete
Old 04-13-2006, 06:18 AM

Originally Posted by pete97
NOSPIN4ME, What relay under the hood. I checked mine and don't see anything labeled for the wipers. Does the relay have a different name or label? Thanks Pete

I'll have to look this afternoon, I'll post it then.
Old 04-15-2006, 11:21 AM

dodge ram intermittent wiper delay won't adjust

we'll, nobody's going to believe this...
put on new central timing module ($113) to go along with the new multi-function switch ($42) - same result, rapid delay only. insert your favorite bad word here. sat down and studied the wiring diagram and had several adult beverages. next day, back into the wiring and measuring voltage at the timing module. #12 white/dk blue (delay adjustment) was receiving variable voltage from switch, varying from 12.2 rapid delay down to 11.7 slow delay. other wires: #3 violet (wiper enable) turning on/off 12 volts, and #4 yellow/dk green (relay output) turning on/off 2 volts here and turning on/off .5 volts up in the relay slot in pdc. this doesn't make any sense, i'm tired of working on it, ready to give up and put everything back together. wait - i'll do one more little thing. during this process, somewhere I read that you can turn off the 'key in switch' chimer by unplugging the little black 2 or 3 wire plug at the key. so I do that, and put back in fuse #13 on the end of the dash labeled power lock. I don't have power locks, and had accidently discovered that removing #13 also stopped the key in switch chimer. unfortunately it also stops the 'lights on' chimer, so the actual key in switch hack is better. so....fuse #13 back in, key in switch connector unplugged, and guess what.... yep, wiper delay worked exactly right. i'll be darned. double check - pull fuse 13, wipers malfunction. put 13 back in, wiper delay works. SO.... DO NOT REMOVE END OF DASH FUSE 13 (PWR LOCK) IT PLAYS CRITICAL ROLE IN INTERMITTENT WIPER TIMING DELAY. hope this helps someone else.
Old 04-15-2006, 01:53 PM

WOW...glad you found the problem. And it made me think some more into when mine was malfunctioning

My door locks were not working at the same time as my wipers having issues. I replaced the fuse for the door locks and then went and changed out the wiper relay.

I wonder if it was just the fuse the whole time?
Old 04-15-2006, 08:50 PM

i'd say so. your's is 01 same as mine, more or less. i bet if you pull fuse #13 in end of dash your problem will re-appear. Pete97, hope you're reading these. good luck to you. so far disconnecting the wire at the ignition switch is working good at stopping the key in switch chimer only.
Old 04-18-2006, 07:56 PM

My power locks are working though. I can't find the relay in the Power Distribution Center.
Old 04-18-2006, 08:29 PM

All I can tell you is what I have on my '01 - i don't know if its anything like yours or not. My pdc has a plastic cover with a fuse/relay slot definition printed on the underside. Have you got your cover and does it have a similar diagram ? If not let me know and I can draw mine out and email it to you. here's my attempt at a description.
Standing at the drivers side front tire and looking into the engine compartment, the mini fuses and relays are on the left. The medium sized one's are in the middle, big ones on the right.
Medium ones at the top,left column, from top to middle (3): rear htr, wiper motor, security.
right column, top to middle (4): ASD, A/C Clutch, spare, transmission.
bottom left, by itself (1): fuel system.
bottom center, middle to bottom (4): spare, horn, quad hi-beam,fog lamp.
Old 04-20-2006, 01:43 AM

Thanks. I'll check it out and let you know