2nd Gen. Dodge Ram - No Drivetrain Discussion for all Dodge Rams from 1994 through 2002. Please, no engine or drivetrain discussion.

Intermittent Wiper Prob.

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2004, 11:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Intermittent Wiper Prob.

Hey all, my wipers work normally on slow or fast settings, but when I try and use the intermittent positions they stop mid stroke. They stop straight up, half down or anywheres in between. They do return to the normal down position when turning them off on low or high settings, I did a search and read quite a few "close but no cigar" posts on here but just cant find an exact match to this problem. Did my switch go bad, ground problems? Thanks for the help

Aaron
Old 02-05-2004, 07:04 AM

My guess is a bad module. Did this problem occur after the wipers were used to push heavy snow off the windshield, or were they on and frozen to the glass at some point?
Old 02-05-2004, 08:02 AM

I purchased the truck with the problem preexisisting, might narrow it down a tad more if I knew.

Aaron
Old 02-05-2004, 09:02 AM

I had the same problem.

Unforunately, I never did figure out how to fix it before I sold the truck. Since they worked like normal on full speed I decided it wasn't worth the money to fix.
Old 02-07-2004, 04:17 PM

where is the module located anyways? I would rather take a butt whoopin then go to the dealer for help. LOL ill spend a grand and replace every lil part in there before ill give them ten bucks. Thanks for the replys
Aaron
Old 02-07-2004, 04:21 PM

I have the same problem & i'd love to get it figured out! is the module on the motor or is the motor what controls it's delay?

DRecu!
Old 02-10-2004, 03:08 PM

Noone know's anything eh?

DRecu!
Old 02-13-2004, 02:20 PM

Depending on how much work you wanted to put into it

Connect a voltmeter between the motor terminal L and the ground strap, If there is little or no voltage ( less than 1 volt) Move the negative test lead from the ground strap to the battery negative terminal, In an increase in colvage is notices, the problem is a bad ground Circit, Make the sure the motor mounting is free of paint and that the mounting fastenrs are tight I f there is still no voltage, the problem is an open circit or faulty multi function switch.

And actually from what you are saying that the high and low work just not the delays, id bet the switch is bad. I actually have a diagram here, that i could tyr to get scanned this weekend that shows you what pins on the back of the switch need continuity in certain positions. Ill try to get that for ya Of course you needa multimeter, like 20-30 from sears, No need for a 500 dollar one
Old 02-13-2004, 07:32 PM

Thank you for your reply, I am chomping at the bit to try your suggestions. Unfortunately the truck is in Chicago at the moment my folks borrowed truck trailer to go antique hunting. Theyll be back on Tuesday, so ill try and figure it out then. I do have a multimeter, its no Fluke; more of a blue light special. Heres my chance to get a good one I suppose. I will post my results, and prolly more questions just as soon as I can dig into it.

The intermittent positions work "sort of" they just seem to pause where ever they feel like. No position (fast, slow or intermittent) will they return to the normal down position. I kinda have to guess where shut them off.

Thanks
Aaron
Old 02-13-2004, 07:38 PM

My roommates 93 chevy Z71 did the same thing. He had to guess when to shut them off. He replaced the switch and they have worked fine ever since. Hope this helps you some.

Hunter
Old 02-15-2004, 01:29 PM

Hey guy's i'm thinking it's the motor because, I already replaced the switch & it did not help but it did fix my headlight problem, anyways I don't know what else to think oither than that the motor has a problem..

DRecu
Old 02-15-2004, 09:17 PM
Administrator

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts
The problem should not be the motor. If it works at regular and high speed, then the motor is fine. It is most likely the module that controls them. As to where that is I don't know. Perhaps someone could chime in with that info.
Old 02-15-2004, 10:42 PM

Yep yep, I dont have a fluke either, Im in diesel class, They said fluke recommended
Im like eh 60 for crafsman professional or 250 for fluke, I totally believe in ya get what ya pay for, but, Craftsman has a 1 year if it didnt read correct between now and with a fluke id change it. But it does and im happy. As far as the control Module is concirned, Yeah just replace the motor, itall comes in one big cahoona, But id still check for continuity between the wires first, hate to buy a 100 dollar motor for nuttin( im replacin mine as we speak) got a brand spakin new one from Orielys for the price of a rebuilt with my student discount though. Lifetime warrenty. the rebuilt have lieftime too,