2nd Gen. Dodge Ram - No Drivetrain Discussion for all Dodge Rams from 1994 through 2002. Please, no engine or drivetrain discussion.

interchanging seats

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2011, 12:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ok, minimal progress, I made the 100 mile trip to the local pic a part and pulled a complete seatbelt control module and associated wiring. I Powered up the driverseat two conductor cable and the power functions all work. I THINK that if I take the harness end going to the dash and apply appropriate power and grounds I should be in business. I hope. I would still like to find a 99 wiring diagram for the seat belt control system if anyone has one so I can understand where the conductors on the 9 pin harness go that arent either power or ground.

Thanks for all the help, I do appreciate it
Old 10-03-2011, 11:06 PM

trust, I have 98 Quad cab Slt , i just changed my manual seat to power I have the wiring diagram , Do your shoulder straps roll up in your seat? will need to Know later but let me make this simple for you , There should be a red and Light blue striped wire either from a ten pin or 2 pin,coming from the carpet und the driver seat, it should be hot all the time, check it for voltage, if it does not have voltage there should be a fuse box on the left far side of the dash ,you have to have the drivers door open to see it. in the fuse box there should be 2 20 A ATO Circuit breakers, Indicated on the lable on the fuse box cover.1 will be for power windows the other for power seat,thus the other end of the Red wire with light blue stripe. if there is not a circuit breaker in the fuse box remove the one for power windows and match it up at your local parts store,they run about 4-7 bucks. with a circuit breaker in Place check for power at the red wire under the seat. if your truck had manual seat like mine did they will not supply a circuit breaker. huge saving on assembly line cost,. THat being said is your power seat circuit to power the switch. the black and green are ground and will need to be connected to the seat frame via a Stud ring. all other wires go to the seat belt control module and if you truck does not have a seat belt control module you will need to know if the seat belts in your new seat require one.
Lets get you to this point and then we will fix your belt circuit. we will need to know two things one do the seat belts lock closed when there is nothing connected to them meaning , do they retract and lock in place where you cant pull them back out
Old 10-03-2011, 11:10 PM

I will continue to help you but lets see how far this gets you first, one more thing is your new seat a dodge factory replacement or an aftermarket.
Old 10-04-2011, 10:26 PM

Thanks! my truck is an 01 QC it has no seat belt module, the new seats do require one as the belts are fully retracted and will not release. I picked up a box, bracket, harness and connectors for the belts. There is a 4 pin, 2 conductor, connector coming through the floor to my existing seat that plugs into a matching 4 pin, 2 conductor, connector in the drivers seat.

The new seats have a 2 pin, 2 conductor, harness (black with lt green trace and red with lt blue trace) that powers the power seat function, that appears to be a simple hook up although the existing 4 pin (2 conductor - lt grn with red tracer and black with lt grn tracer) harness appears to simply function as the seat belt warning light. The fuse block has both the pwr windows and pwr seats vacant as I have neither on my truck. Presumably there is a pwr seat harness preinstalled between the fuse block and the seat that just doesnt surface? Or maybe that's the unused pair of connectors on the 4 pin?

I have found a pin out for the seat belt module that shows the various functions by wire color. Based on that I SHOULD be able to simply tie the grounds together and power the various hot leads for the seat belts shouldnt I?

New seat is a factory take out seat reupholstered and not used by the guy I got it from

Thanks for the help!
Old 10-05-2011, 03:35 AM

you are correct about the seat cicuit and all the black and green are common ground best to solder them together and ground them to the bottom of the seat frame with a stud ring and a 1/4"screw or bolt and nut, make sure you get a good ground that is also the ground hook up the seat power, with the butt cushion off and seat mounted in place check all of your seat functions,up down, forward backward,in out , and lumbar with that done all functions working we can move forward, if the back of your driver seat has a 4 pin connector plug comming from the right side of the or twards the center of the truck that is most likely to connect into your seat belt module, if there is a two wire plug coming from the door side of the driver seat back it is most likely the lumbar connction and should have a connecttor on the seat motor assembly you will be able to see them real easy with the butt cushion removed. DO NOT connect power to the seat belts that function is controlled by the control module, there is a tan wire it is the power lead to the control module and is powered from the(IEM) Intergrated Electronic Module under the left side and should be in the 4 wire from under the carpet you already connected , The control module will power them during cycles and timers and sensors and switches when needed , and release to them also so they can lock to hold or restrain you from going through the windshield in an accident, i would venture to bet that if you power them all the time not only would you run your battery down but the lock mechanisms could not function , and if you even used a momentary switch to engage the power to the belts you probably get real tired of being pulled uptight against the seat untill you repowered the belt again, because remember when you have no power they retract and lock!! and every time you move or lean back they lock up tighter untill your sucked up to the back of the seat...becomes a royal.. AW SCHIDT.. and you do not want that so that control module is the right way to use them. the other alternative is to strip the covers back from back of the seat frame and swap the belts retractors and belts from your original seat and that will leave you wit a power seat and the same fucntions you had prior to changing, removing the cover are not as hard as it sounds. at the center bottom of the seat back where the front meets the back,usally cloth meets the leather if you roll the seam back you will find a plastic vinyl monkey fist grip on each side, that will unlock and open like a pillow case, the pad and cover are ringeg together so when you take the cover off you will take the pad and cover off the seat frame, easist to do with seats out fo the truck where you have room to manuvere. the pads are molded with grooves roll the seat cover up like a little at a time as ypo puish the pad twards the front , try you old seat first when once you see how thats done youll breeze through the rest.. Good luck and hope it works Ill be around if you get hung up.
Old 10-05-2011, 09:30 PM

thanks, I think I got the power seat functions figured out ok now, I just need a day to do the swap and wiring. The 3 and 2 pin connectors from the right and left side of the driver's seat do plug right into the harness I picked up Friday with the new seat belt control module and you're spot on to their function as near as I can tell.

Still working out the seatbelts, I wasnt clear on the harness entering the cab, its only two conductors using two pins in a 4 pin connector. I havent chased the underdash end but assume its part of the warning light system.

As I understand it now, the module wants intermittent power from the door switches as well as both full time and switched power, Seems like just using switched power would protect the battery and serve the same function. The down side would be that you couldnt put your belt on until you turned on the key. Seems right? What have I not considered that will bite me in the posterior?

I have thought seriously about swapping the seat belt retractor assemblies and may review the seat cover removal process again with that in mind. I am sort of leary of the rube goldberg module arrangement anyway, sure seems like an awful lot of unneccessary complexity and opportunities for failure but I would hate to mess up the new seats by taking them apart.

Thanks for the help
Old 10-05-2011, 09:43 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Your right in that the belts wouldn't come out untill you turned the key on, as far as pulling the cover it's super easy, unclip the bottom plastic channels and start working it up, in the middle of the back on the seam there are three hog rings cut them and pull the cover off, reinstalling is just the opposite, I've heard of people using zip ties in place of the hog rings but can't speak for that I have always used new hog rings but it would probably work
Old 10-05-2011, 10:57 PM

as you could tell by the spelling in the last entry i was real tired and didnt spell check at all. sounds like your on your way, the surest way to get it right is to go back with the other equipment for the seat belts that you know function properly. like i said use your old seats to learn how to strip the covers and you will breeze through the rest i have done it many times without removing the hog rings but it is a bit harder just invision taking a long sleeve tee shirt off with it hog ringed to your chest once its that far over the top you will be able to get to the seat belts, seams to stay tucked better if you leave th rings but 98Fargo is correct it is easier
Old 10-05-2011, 11:07 PM

once you get the cover s off there are 2 screws holding the inner trim cover and 2 torx head cap screws that hold the retractor in place and wallah you are on the way.
Old 10-05-2011, 11:18 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think it would be a major pain to work on with the covers half on, anytime I've had them off and back on you would never know, take your time and don't rush things and they will look the same when they go back together as when you started!
Old 10-06-2011, 09:39 PM

Super!! thanks guys, it sure wounds like the cleanest install might be to swap the 01 retractors into the new, earlier, seats and then just power up the power seat functions and go that route.

I'm committed this weekend to family stuff but I should be able to knock it out next weekend thanks to y'alls help!

I'll let you know how it goes and what I find...
Old 04-29-2012, 12:30 AM

Received 99 Likes on 60 Posts
Trust - I am in a similar situation and I was wondering if you sucessfully finished your seat upgrade project?
Old 05-04-2012, 09:39 AM

Yes I did finally i should have posted that. I disassembled and removed the upholstery and swapped out the seat belt retractors and reinstalled the upholstery then wired up the power function in the new seats and voila! it all works!! The hardest part was making myself pull that first skin and cut the rings but it all went back together just fine

god luck