2nd Gen. Dodge Ram - No Drivetrain Discussion for all Dodge Rams from 1994 through 2002. Please, no engine or drivetrain discussion.

instrument panel woes

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2009, 05:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
instrument panel woes

Grrrrr.

Took my dash apart and pulled the cluster last night as I wanted to replace the burned out lights for the parking brake.....
turns out that those lights look like little LED lights that are soldered into the circuit board. EXCEPT that some previous owner snipped off the lights for the parking brake & the ABS.

There are two unused lights (OD OFF & I forget the other) that I don't even know why they were installed as I have a 6-spd..... maybe that was the only cluster they had in stock? Anyway, I'm going to pull the cluster another day when I have some time and take it down to the TV repair shop a few blocks away and have them move those two lights.... I figure they are way better at playing with tiny soldering points like that then I am.

Then, when I put it all back together I'm a little freaked out.... the tach is pegged over at 4000 & the speedo is pegged over at around 130.....
I fired up the truck & it took a few seconds before the tach moved to where it should be.... but the speedo stayed put. Oh, oh.... Took the truck out for a spin.... speedo didn't move until I was doing about 25 mph... it did settle down properly after a block or so.
WHEW!

Anyway... gotta figure out then what's wrong with the ABS..... I can hear the abs motor cycle while I'm just driving down the street sometimes (well, I could until I pulled the fuse).... maybe the speed sensor on the diff?
Old 06-13-2009, 07:25 PM

I believe Dodge used the same Gauge Cluster on all trucks, whether manual or automatic.

Are the LED lights still in the right spot, just the wiring was cut? Or are the LED's no good at all?
Old 06-15-2009, 07:19 PM

oh yeah, they were in the right spot.... just two little stubs of metal sticking up - the bulbs were cut off & missing