2nd Gen. Dodge Ram - No Drivetrain Discussion for all Dodge Rams from 1994 through 2002. Please, no engine or drivetrain discussion.

Installing stereo, wire color, infiniti system

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2007, 09:03 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Installing stereo, wire color, infiniti system

I got a new head unit and have the wiring adapters for the 2 plugs, but there is also a little 2-wire plug on the side, purple and white stripe and white with purple stripe I think, what is this? Not in the color guide I got, and also, was the black with blue striped wire, clipped on the back in some fitting just the ground(all it did was connect to metal housing, but why another ground? Thanks for the help....
Old 11-17-2007, 09:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
the wires you are refering to are for the steering wheel controls for the factory radio I believe, and yes the black with blue stripe is a ground not sure why tho
Old 11-17-2007, 09:46 PM

Location: My head lays down in Murrieta, but the day light hours are spent in San Diego, Ca.
Does your system work? When I installed my Alpine I found that the Scosche wiring harness diagram didn't show that the blue wire was for an amp. Why would it, I don't have an amp, I thought. My Alpine wiring diagram showed the blue as being a Power antenna lead. So that's how I hooked it up; solid blue to solid blue. Everything would work on AM/FM mode, but when I switched to either XM or CD changer, the deck would turn OFF the power antenna (which I don't have BTW). By doing so It turned off the amp. In till that point I didn't even realize I HAD an amp. So then I hooked up the solid blue from the harness to the blue/white stripe from the Alpine. Yes, now I know that those tweeters are on the pillars because I do indeed have an Infinity sound system with amps.
Old 11-18-2007, 12:37 AM

So is there another amp besides the ones that are attached to the back of each Infinity speaker? I'm getting no sound and my next step is to just re-wire it all straight from the deck. But if I can use the exisiting wires that run to each speaker, then I don't have to re-wire, I could just bypass the amp and throw a new set of speakers in there.
Old 11-18-2007, 10:05 AM

Location: My head lays down in Murrieta, but the day light hours are spent in San Diego, Ca.
Originally Posted by wcbcruzer
So is there another amp besides the ones that are attached to the back of each Infinity speaker? I'm getting no sound and my next step is to just re-wire it all straight from the deck. But if I can use the exisiting wires that run to each speaker, then I don't have to re-wire, I could just bypass the amp and throw a new set of speakers in there.
Yeah there is. I found out during my little exercise I posted above. It's somewhere behind andf below the radio position in the dash. Thats how I found my connection was wrong. When I switched to XM or the changer I could here it being switched off. If you have the same set up as me, be sure that you are powering the blue amp wire on the factory harness/plug.
Old 11-18-2007, 03:14 PM

Yea I did hook up the blue amp wire and I could hear something clicking in the dash in the same position you described. So I guess that's an amp. It sucks because you gotta rip the whole dash off in order to get to it. So it looks like I'll be re-wiring all the speakers...
Old 11-18-2007, 07:18 PM

Wait. The 2000 that JPR Ram has is DIFFERENT than the early Infinity system that you have. I went through the same thing back in 1998 when I tried to install an Alpine head unit in a 1997 CTD that I had. However, I would get sound out of the speakers but it sounded really "tinny" and crackly due to the Alpine's output not being right as an input for the amps. On your truck there are amps on the back of the speakers that you can easily bypass. You just have to take the audio wires that come into the door from the stock harness and solder them directly to the speakers. First you just have to remove the lshort wires that go from the amp to the speaker itself. If you can solder its really easy. If you post some pics of the speakers with the amp on them I could help you a little more.

John
Old 11-18-2007, 07:34 PM

I do have three amps in mine. One in the center under the dash, and one on each door speaker.
Old 11-18-2007, 08:19 PM

I'm not saying that you don't. I'm saying that his 1996 Infinity system is different than your 2000 one.

John
Old 11-18-2007, 11:58 PM

Thanks John. That's some good news right there, saves a lot of work. I know what you mean about just soldering the wires directly onto the new speakers, so I'll go ahead and do that. But then what was the clicking I heard from the middle of the dash when I turned it on with the blue amp wire? I looked at it and it was a little box (metal I think) about 3" x 3" that was mounted down pretty good.
Old 11-19-2007, 08:39 AM

I don't know, you've got me there but I'm guessing that it's a relay that turns the amps on.

John