2nd Gen. Dodge Ram - No Drivetrain Discussion for all Dodge Rams from 1994 through 2002. Please, no engine or drivetrain discussion.

Installing a Double Din into our trucks?

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2008, 06:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Installing a Double Din into our trucks?

I am trying to get any input on how hard it will be for someone to install a double din CD/DVD/Navigation deck into our model trucks.

I am at the point where I drive so much and so far that I really need to get a Navigation system. I do not want a magellan/Tom Tom type navigation. I wanna get an all in one satellite radio/dvd/nav system to reduce the clutter. The only ones that I like are the double din 6-7 inch in dash units. Are they possible without "major" modifications that I'm going to have to spend an arm and a leg on.

And please don't say "just get a flip out." Not my style and with how bouncy the roads I drive on can be, I can see the gears on the motorized components breaking if it doesn't get stolen first.
Old 04-28-2008, 06:07 PM

Thats a sweet idea, ive thought about it myself but i cant see it being all that easy. Good luck and let us know how it turns out.
Old 04-28-2008, 06:59 PM

they make single din units.

Here is a searched link for single din units (flip out fronts, and 1 static front)
http://www.crutchfield.com/App/Produ...=182350&tp=144
Old 04-28-2008, 08:19 PM

Pretty sure that trying to look through a magnifying glass to see upcoming streets on a 3.5" screen is more dangerous than just cutting a hole in my dash.

Not looking for a single din or a flip out. Just trying to see if anyone has done a 1.5 din to a double din conversion yet and the price or difficulty of it.
Old 04-28-2008, 08:52 PM

Originally Posted by kevellis32
Pretty sure that trying to look through a magnifying glass to see upcoming streets on a 3.5" screen is more dangerous than just cutting a hole in my dash.

Not looking for a single din or a flip out. Just trying to see if anyone has done a 1.5 din to a double din conversion yet and the price or difficulty of it.
This may be true, but most windshield mounted GPS's only have a screen that large. My Nuvi 660 has a similarly sized screen and I love it.

I agree though, something bigger would be nice and I too hate the motorized ones. Only issue is I have the cheesy OEM woodgrain dash and I don't think I have the heart to cut that to make something else fit.
Old 04-29-2008, 09:46 AM

Not sure of the later years, but it would be major custom work including removal of the ashtray or cup holders in the 96-97's, and a total custom dash.

I just used a TomTom with the 4 inch screen for a trip, it's plenty big enough on the dash. I'm going to do a custom dash top gage mount in which I'm planning on making it accept a Nuvi or TomTom into a more permanent mount to lessen the likely hood of a breakin.
FWIW, The Tweeter near me would get a minimum of $500 to do a custom install where they have to modify the factory dash, and the cost is obviously based on work needed...
Old 04-29-2008, 08:12 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I couldn't be happier with my Kenwood NAV/Sirius/rear camera/7" touch screen flip up that fits my 98.5 truck. I think the model # is something like 718 and could be out of production now but I'm sure similar units are available thru Crutchfield or others. It's a great unit, comes with remote, only big hassle is anchoring the rear of the head unit to something solid behind the dash and finding the room to install the other components, usually under the front seats. I did a couple installs on other trucks I owned so it wasn't that difficult for me. Good luck. Crutchfield is your friend. Chuck

P.S. I've hammered my unit over the past two yrs and it's still running like a champ. I do usually leave it extended out all the time to save the motor/gears since I want the nav up all the time anyway. The key is mounting it properly. If you do that you should be OK.