2nd Gen. Dodge Ram - No Drivetrain Discussion for all Dodge Rams from 1994 through 2002. Please, no engine or drivetrain discussion.

Infinity Amp?

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2005, 06:00 AM
Chapter President

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Infinity Amp?

I think the left side channels in the infinity amp on my 98.5 are smoked.......a tried a couple different head units on it with the same results. Does anybody know where the amp is located? Is there anywhere else other than the dealer I can get another one? I'm not big into stereos and am not interested in adding any aftermarket amps, I just want sound out of all my speakers!
Old 05-09-2005, 06:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The amps are located on the speaker frame at each location. If one entire side is out, I'd start at the radio itself. Swap right for left, and see if the left side comes to life. This will eliminate the speaker amps and narrow it down to the radio.
Old 05-09-2005, 08:37 AM
Chapter President

Thanks for the feed back....I never would have guessed there was an amp at each speaker! I tried messing with the stock head unit and now have a Sony head unit and I messed with all the speaker wires to try and get the left side to work to no avail... Only the tweeter works on the left side. Can I bypass the amps and run the speakers directly off the deck or should I try to replace the amps. Are they exspensive?
Old 05-09-2005, 09:04 AM

You can bypass the amps very easily, but I don't know how much signal level you'll get from the stock radio.
Old 05-09-2005, 09:56 AM
Chapter President

Is there a source for replacement Infinity amps?
Old 05-09-2005, 08:04 PM

I had an Infinity amp quit on mine too. It was even the same side as yours. I called Crutchfield and the only speakers they had that were a direct replacement were discontinued. I put a pair of Blaupunkt 5 1/4" round in place of them (Crutchfield supplied everything including adapters) for $48 and some change. They actually sound better to me than the stock ones. They also do not have the amps on them and they are slightly less powerful than the stock ones. Now the rear speakers sound muffled compared to the front ones.
Tom
Old 05-10-2005, 02:07 AM

I have to agree with MnTom. Replacing the speakers will definitely be much easier, and probably cheaper than trying to locate and replace the amps on you stock speakers. Crutchfield is an excellent source and their customer service is exceptional.

You will,,, DEFINITELY, notice a much improved sound quality after replacing your stock speakers!
Old 05-10-2005, 06:16 AM
Chapter President

An improvement in sound?....really?....Ok...I was actually quite happy with the Infinity sound quality but if the best way to do this is to just scrap the Infinity amps and speakers, then I guess that is what I'll do. Are the front doors 6x9's and the rear doors 5 1/4's? I have some older Alpine 6 1/2" mids that I really like.....is there a way to put those in the front doors? What are the factory tweeters driven off of?
Old 05-10-2005, 06:47 AM

I too think that's the best solution. Knowing how we do things here, I'd be surprised if DC supplied only the replacement amp. It's probably sold as a unit. i.e. speaker and amp, and they're gonna rock you for it too.
Old 05-10-2005, 08:56 AM
Chapter President

Any ideas on the speaker sizes? What are the tweeters driven off of?
Old 05-10-2005, 09:31 AM

The tweeters are driven by a crossover. I don't know where they are located though. If you decide to change, you will use the two inner wires (if yours is like mine) for the sound (there are four wires to the speakers). Crutchfield has adapters to make things fit good to. www.crutchfield.com You also need to MAKE SURE that the speakers are shallow enough to clear the glass and hardware in the door too.
Tom
Old 05-10-2005, 11:45 AM
Chapter President

Ah nuts!! I was afraid of that! These Alpine mids are anything but shallow! It's all coming back to me now.....I think I remember reading awhile back that the max speaker depth for the front doors was 2 5/8"......that sound right?

MnTom,

I think I know where that crossover is......it is mounted right beside the ash tray and almost right behind the removable knee bolster directly below the column......
Old 05-10-2005, 02:50 PM

Like I said, Crutchfield sent me two 5 1/4" Blaupunkt PCxb652 speakers ($49.99) and two 6"x9" to 5 1/4" universal mounts (free) and they went in quite easily. If you call them you will get good info.
Tom
Old 05-10-2005, 09:52 PM

I just replaced my Infinity system with a Alpine head unit and amp, new speakers and added a sub. I too was happy with the sound of the Infinity system until I finished this install!
The speakers in the front doors are 6x9's and the rear doors are 5.25's. If your order speakers from Crutchfield they will send you installation bracket to install the 6.5's in the place of the 6x9 Infinity speakers. As stated above, watch the depth of the 6.5's. Good luck...
Old 05-11-2005, 08:38 AM
Chapter President

Six Pack,

Does the adaptor bracket that allows the 6.5 bolt in place of the 6x9 give any extra mounting depth for the 6.5?

Quick Reply: Infinity Amp?