2nd Gen. Dodge Ram - No Drivetrain Discussion for all Dodge Rams from 1994 through 2002. Please, no engine or drivetrain discussion.

i think i have the wrong rancho shocks?

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2003, 05:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i think i have the wrong rancho shocks?

i just got my new shocks and started on the project and the front rancho (rs5000) are 2 inches shorter then stock. this cant be right is it? they sent me rs5197 for the front and rs 5225 for the rear...All so they seem to have no pressure forceing them up just resestince? Please help
Old 07-21-2003, 06:39 PM
It's my pot and I'll stir it if I want to. If you're not careful, I'll stir your's as well!

Received 172 Likes on 131 Posts
Re:i think i have the wrong rancho shocks?

Regardless of brand name, any shock that has a shorter stroke than the OEM part is wrong. I would suggest that you do not even consider putting them on your truck.<br>Suggest also that you go for the Rancho 9000's instead of the 5000's.
Old 07-21-2003, 08:55 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

silverram323,<br>What Mexstan said. Check out the thread about shocks in the Towing/Hauling forum. Some there have said they have had bad experience with the 5000's.<br>I have the 9000's on my truck, but I don't notice anything different from stock when empty, but I think that's just me. I do notice it getting a little squirrelly when towing if I don't have the adjustment turned up though.<br><br>Chris
Old 07-22-2003, 04:53 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Size wise they don't sound right. I would also recommend the 9000s. I know they cost more, but you get what you pay for and the adjustability is a nice benefit.<br><br>The reason the Rancho shocks don't spring to full extension is because the are two way shocks. OEM shocks and most cheap brands, only push one way, so they only provide resistance to downward motion. That's why they always push themselves to full extension if nothing holds them back. One way shocks actually contribute to upward bounce after you hit a bump.<br><br>Ranchos provide resistance both directions and significantly improve the ride over a one way shock. They stop the truck from bouncing on both the up and down motions. Hope that helps.
The following users liked this post:
pdhaynie (03-12-2020)
Old 07-22-2003, 05:21 PM
Adminstrator-ess

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

[quote author=thecatsfan link=board=5;threadid=17367;start=0#162837 date=1058910836]<br>Size wise they don't sound right. I would also recommend the 9000s. I know they cost more, but you get what you pay for and the adjustability is a nice benefit.<br><br>The reason the Rancho shocks don't spring to full extension is because the are two way shocks. OEM shocks and most cheap brands, only push one way, so they only provide resistance to downward motion. That's why they always push themselves to full extension if nothing holds them back. One way shocks actually contribute to upward bounce after you hit a bump.<br><br>Ranchos provide resistance both directions and significantly improve the ride over a one way shock. They stop the truck from bouncing on both the up and down motions. Hope that helps. <br>[/quote] The reason your shocks extend by themselves is because they are pressurized with nitrogen. This prevents bubbles from forming in the oil as it passes through the damping valves. The reason the shock extends is because there is less surface area on the top of the piston (due to the shock shaft being in the middle of it) than the bottom. You can compress the shock by hand, it doesn't significantly affect spring rates. This has absolutely nothing to do with whether or not the shock works in both directions. All shocks intended for street driveable vehicles have nearly equal damping in both directions.
Old 07-22-2003, 07:24 PM

I called Rancho and they said the the 5221 are the right shock fro the front and the 5197 arn't even made for the new rams. I called the supplier and he is sending me out the correct shocks 2 day air. I didn't buy the 9000's because i don't have that much in reserve ($$$) and i don't really tow nothing that heavy. Thanks for all the info guy's, This site really helps out alot.<br>Kevin
Old 07-28-2003, 11:43 AM

silverram323<br><br>I had the same problem. If you have the plow prep and / or the tow package, Rancho nor Bilstein, nor anyone else makes a shock for your truck specifically. I had to take all measurements (Extended, Closed, Width) and go to a dealer. They were then able to match me up with a set of shocks. I went with the Monroe Truck shocks.<br><br>Good Luck
Old 07-28-2003, 02:00 PM

ALL shocks dampen both ways Twin tube shocks (such as Ranchos) don't self extend...correct. Dynamically, monotube or twin tube dampen in both directions, it's dependent on velocity ( pumping oil form one side to the other).<br><br>