2nd Gen. Dodge Ram - No Drivetrain Discussion for all Dodge Rams from 1994 through 2002. Please, no engine or drivetrain discussion.

How To Remove Exhaust...Part II

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2003, 04:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How To Remove Exhaust...Part II

First off, I want to thank each and every one of you who replyed to my first post about this subject...you've been alot of help to me!

...Today, I finally got a chance to look under the truck again (just came home for the weekend) and everything makes much more sense now. Only problem is that I still don't know which way to go.

#1: To remove the entire exhaust from right in front of the resonator back and simply run it as-is. That would mean the exhaust would exit right underneath the front of the bed. Is there anything wrong with this approach? Would the fumes engulf the cab if the pipe exited so close to it?

#2: To again remove the exhaust right in front of the resonator, but only from there to where the muffler used to connect to the pipe that goes over the axle. I would run a single pipe from point A to B. Although I don't know if this would work or not, I'd like to do it like the factory setup...slide the new pipe inside of the old pipe and simple U-Bolt it all back together. Would this work? (I guess this is the oft-talked about "straight pipe" mod?)

Once again, thank you for any suggestions/ideas.

Justin.
Old 01-24-2003, 07:13 PM

Re:How To Remove Exhaust...Part II

You probably don't want to take the exhaust off at the resonator and run it that way. It is LOUD. I fired mine up when i got the muffler off, and the resonator still on, and it was really loud. Even at idle. your best bet is to get a piece of pipe and put it in between the resonator and tail pipe, or take the resinator off too and do the same thing. Only problem is that, if I remember right, the pipe coming out of the resonator is 4" and the tailpipe is 3", so if you're bolting it on, you'll have to find a 4-3 adaptor. Not sure what size it is going into the resonator, but I think it was smaller than 4", which would make it easier to adapt. Maybe someone else on here knows?
Old 01-24-2003, 09:24 PM

Re:How To Remove Exhaust...Part II

I know mine was 3 inch off the turbo, 3inch into resinator, 4 inch out of resinator and into muffler, 3 inch out of muffler all the way up and half-way over the axle, then 4 inch outlet. I took the resinator and muffler both off and put a 3inch pipe with 2 slight bends in it in its place. I had the muffler man expand 1 end to fit over 3 inch pipe and i had him expand the original piece of pipe that comes up to muffler from the rear to fit over 3 inch too! Pipe cost me 15 dollars and i did the work in my driveway. you could clamp this all together, but i choose to weld mine together and welded my hangers on too!