2nd Gen. Dodge Ram - No Drivetrain Discussion for all Dodge Rams from 1994 through 2002. Please, no engine or drivetrain discussion.

How To Remove Exhaust?

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2003, 08:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How To Remove Exhaust?

Well, I'm a newbie here to this site and would like a little help (already did a search to no avail)

Anyways, my dad has a '98 2500 24-Valve Ext. Cab 4x4 Shortbed Automatic. Basically, we were curious one day and starting wondering what the truck would sound like without any exhaust system of it.

...Glancing underneath the truck, removing the exhaust did not seem like much of a problem...simply remove the big 'ol U-Bolts holding it in place, and wa-lah (!), it would slide right apart.

Well, after removing several U-bolts, I realized that the system is pretty much SOLID in place.

Now, to the question: I would like to remove the entire system from either the catalytic converter or the muffler back...just exiting from underneath the bed (at least for the time being!) Could someone on here PLEASE give me some instruction on how to do so (including on how to disconnect the pipes from the hangers)...even if it is not exactly legal!

Thank you,

Justin.
Old 01-22-2003, 08:41 PM

Re:How To Remove Exhaust?

Been there done that... Loosen the u-bolts, use 3lb hammer or bigger, lay on ground not creeper,brace feet against mufflerand push hard , now beat on resignator on both sides while pushing side to side with feet.
Old 01-22-2003, 08:44 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

must of just go to the muffler shop and get a strait pipe put on. The only other way is to get an air chisel and get it at the seems where they put it together at the factory. There is no converter it is a resinator, most people leave it on while others ;D prefer the nothing but pipe sound welcome to the site
Old 01-22-2003, 08:49 PM

Welcome to the site Justin,<br><br>I did the same thing for about 5 min. Then I got out the SAWZALL ;D and cut away. Got some pipe and flanges, couplers etc at a big truck repair shop and what do you know it's straight piped. I cut off the hangers and welded them to the new pipe. It really does sound good, wish I had done it sooner --like the day after I got home from getting the truck in Arizona.
Old 01-22-2003, 08:50 PM

oh yea, cost me $45.
Old 01-22-2003, 08:53 PM

Took mine off three times .Easy.no cutting. Ended up with resignator and strait pipe all bolt on. Sounds good.
Old 01-22-2003, 09:07 PM

I'll be removing mine next weekend. Should be a cake walk with my new Sawzall ;D
Old 01-22-2003, 09:22 PM
Administrator

SAWZALL
Old 01-22-2003, 09:23 PM

Well, I don't want to Sawzall it because we might just reuse the parts<br><br>Thanks for clearing up the thing about the resonator though...but why do they put a resonator on there...does it make it sound much different?<br><br>Come to think of it...I would just like to remove the entire exhaust system from the in front of the resonator back (Unless someone on here recomends otherwise). Can someone also tell me how to remove the hangers from the body (I guess they just come off with the exhaust system?)<br><br>Thanks again,<br><br>Justin.
Old 01-22-2003, 09:27 PM

Spray the hangars with some penetrating and use a pry bar to remove the hangars from the body.
Old 01-22-2003, 09:48 PM

Get it cherry red with a torch and work it around and it will come apart and won't tear it up.<br>It will be able to be reused, but after you hear it straight piped you will throw it away. ;D<br><br> : Eddie : 8)
Old 01-23-2003, 06:58 PM

[quote author=jlells01 link=board=5;threadid=9983;start=0#95353 date=1043292196]<br>Well, I don't want to Sawzall it because we might just reuse the parts<br><br>Thanks for clearing up the thing about the resonator though...but why do they put a resonator on there...does it make it sound much different?<br><br>Come to think of it...I would just like to remove the entire exhaust system from the in front of the resonator back (Unless someone on here recomends otherwise). Can someone also tell me how to remove the hangers from the body (I guess they just come off with the exhaust system?)<br><br>Thanks again,<br><br>Justin.<br>[/quote]<br><br>I was like you and wanted to preserve the OEM exhaust. I tried beating it into submission with a 5 lbs sledge to no avail. I next purchased a MAPP torch from Sears and it could not generate enough heat to get the whole slip joint cherry red (only a small spot). So I finally bought a Recip saw and cut it off. Not sure if your truck is the same as mine (2002 quad cab long bed), but there is a piece of pipe between the down-pipe and resonator. I fingured I could easily find a replacement piece at any exhaust shop, so this is where I made the cut. I ended up making 2 cuts on that piece of pipe so I could clear the frame crossmember the tranny rests on, but think with better planning it could have been done with only 1 cut. Anyway, I avoided having to cut the downpipe or anything else which would be expensive to replace. I can't remember if I removed the down-pipe thru the engine compartment or not. Everything else from the &quot;sacrificed&quot; short piece of straight pipe between the down-pipe and resonator on back came out in 1 piece (you will need a helper with this...someone needs to support and guide the tail-pipe over the axle while another person swings the front out from under the truck).<br><br>I called some exhaust shops on prices for them to remove the exhaust WITHOUT cutting it apart. Once I heard how much they wanted I decided I could purchase a rather nice heavy duty recip saw (10 amp Porter Cable) plus an assortment of heavy duty demolition blades and still have money left over.
Old 01-23-2003, 07:29 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

[quote author=BAD HABIT link=board=5;threadid=9983;start=0#95330 date=1043290415]<br>Took mine off three times .Easy.no cutting. Ended up with resignator and strait pipe all bolt on. Sounds good. <br>[/quote]<br><br>Don'tcha just hate it when those elves come by at night and put your muffler back on? ;D<br><br>Chris
Old 01-23-2003, 08:31 PM

Removing Exhaust From Hangers??

Well, first, thank you to 1tuffram for the great reply<br><br>...but (maybe I'm overlooking something here) you neglected to tell me on how to remove the exhaust itself from the hangers (or do the hangers and exhaust all come off in one piece?)<br><br>Thanks again,<br><br>Justin.
Old 01-23-2003, 09:28 PM

If you just want to take off the resonator, here is what I do.<br><br>Look at the area in front of the muffler and you'll see a hanger that is attached via a couple of large rubber grommets. These allow it to move around abit when the truck is going down the road. You have to seperate the grommets from the hangar. Support the exhaust system to take the weight off the grommets and to keep it from bonkin you on the head when you cut the resonator off. The grommets just pull off, but some wd-40 in the holes will help.<br><br>After their off use a sawz-all or a die cutter and cut the U-bolt on the clamp. You may just be able to break the bolts off or they may just unscrew. I guess it depends how rusted they are. I have had to cut mine off. You'll want to save that clamp since it has the hangar on it. By cutting the U-bolt, you can just drop in a new bolt into the old clamp housing.<br><br>You can save yourself a lot of beating and pounding with a sawz-all. The front of the resonator pipe is female to the pipe coming down from the turbo. Make a horizontal cut on the resonator &amp; then do the same in the back. Now it's off and you can use it for an umbrella stand. Take your saw and carefully make a vertical cut on whats left on the front. Just cut through the resonator piping. Once your through, it will almost fall off.<br><br>In the back, the resonator pipe is inserted into the muffler. Just stick your saw blade in there and do the same thing. Just cutting through whats left of the resonator pipe. It will then easily pullout.<br><br>Now slip your new straight pipe in. To get it to all pull together into the correct position I use a come-along or a ratcheting tie down strap to pull it all back together.<br><br>This may not and probably is not how everyone does it. But it's works for me. takes about an hour.

Quick Reply: How To Remove Exhaust?