2nd Gen. Dodge Ram - No Drivetrain Discussion for all Dodge Rams from 1994 through 2002. Please, no engine or drivetrain discussion.

How long are you going to keep your truck?

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2003, 05:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How long are you going to keep your truck?

I was just curious how long everyone is planning on keeping you truck? Are you the type that gets a new one every couple of years or are you going to drive it into the ground and then get a new one several years down the road?

Personally I plan on keeping mine for a long time. I have had lots of trucks in the past but I finally think I found the one I like and I have it set up just the way I want it. Sure something new would be nice but I think I will wait.
Old 07-29-2003, 06:22 PM

Re:How long are you going to keep your truck?

i love my truck, but i'm planning on getting a 24valve quad cab 4x4 dually after college (so next summer if i can afford it). that truck i will then keep for many years.

later on, i'd like to get a '94 12valve and mod the living heck out of it (maybe a puller or something). heck, i'd even like to mod the heck out of a 6.5 just to learn more about it.

who knows what the future brings...
Tom
Old 07-29-2003, 06:40 PM

I'm keeping mine until it's paid off at least, so, 4 more years. I'll probably keep it longer if the body hasn't started falling apart by then. I like this truck more than any truck I had. Had a 2001 Chevy HD, then we got a 3500 dodge HO diesel for work, and had to have a cummins for myself. Ended up paying off the $6,000 that I owed on my Chevy, but I'd do it again for the cummins. If I do get a new one, it'll be the new bodystyle dodge. Of course by then it will probably be the old bodystyle
Old 07-29-2003, 06:41 PM

I always buy a new truck every year... NO MATTER WHAT!

Untill I bought this one! I can't explain it... I won't even try!

It is not even my first Dodge, In fact it is my 4th Dodge with a CTD.

But I love this truck and I thought about selling it awhile back and even looked at new trucks (CHEVY, FORD, and Dodge) but then decided WHY????

BOMB AWAY!!! I love my truck now I am playing around with the BOMBING... ;D ;D ;D

James
Old 07-29-2003, 06:42 PM
DPG

I'm going to keep mine until it becomes more expensive to keep it than to trade it in.

DeWain
Old 07-29-2003, 07:17 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well I am getting old for the work that I am doing, I have a comfortable truck, I wear them out fast with this work and have no intentions of getting rid of it. I have several major changes to do to it soon and would not want to start on a new one. Trucks don't wear out, they just get out of repair.
Old 07-29-2003, 07:20 PM

Haulin in Dixie:

I have seen you talk alot about your truck and how it's probably the closest thing to a Peterbilt that anyone on this board has. I even remember you talking about adding a sleeper. Do you have any pictures of what it looks like now? I bet it is one interesting truck! Better yet, do you have any pictures of it loaded down?
Old 07-29-2003, 08:11 PM
yz

Well I now have 266,050 miles as of today.I think the only problem I have had with it within the 40,000 mile that I have owned it was the track bar. The steering thing was the dealers fault not the trucks. I looked back @ the trucks history report through Dodge and found no problems besides usually work. Oil changes,Filters, brakes, and small stuff. I love the truck. Maybe after college. But then again I most likley keep the truck till 400K plus honestly. I like the 24v but the Vp-44 and LP worry me, if there was a good fix to it I would think pretty hard about one after college. But I love my truck maybe after 400k I might buy a brand new Dodge Cummins. But I am a happy camper ;D -Anthony
Old 07-29-2003, 08:46 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would like to keep my truck for a long time. I have looked in the not too recent past for a newer one. I like my truck, my wife likes my truck, therefore she will be around until she becomes too expensive to keep vs. buying another.
I'm talking about the truck, not the wife. ;D ;D
Old 07-29-2003, 09:35 PM

[quote author=Gary - KJ6Q link=board=5;threadid=17696;start=0#msg165500 date=1059521259]

THIS topic pretty well sums up one of the GREATEST advantages of the Cummins-equipped Dodge! You actually HAVE a choice as to whether your truck will be a LOOoooong-term vehicle, or not...

These trucks are NOT "throwaways" unless YOU choose to change them for something else - and MINE certainly is expected to be a long-time keeper!
[/quote]

Well put.....

James
Old 07-29-2003, 09:37 PM

I've been concidering buying a new one, but won't think of parting with the 95. Wanna get a common rail before EGR messes things up. Probably not need more than those 2 for as along as I live! Honest!!!!!!
Old 07-29-2003, 09:44 PM

[quote author=I PASS GAS link=board=5;threadid=17696;start=0#msg165545 date=1059524431]
Haulin in Dixie:

I have seen you talk alot about your truck and how it's probably the closest thing to a Peterbilt that anyone on this board has. I even remember you talking about adding a sleeper. Do you have any pictures of what it looks like now? I bet it is one interesting truck! Better yet, do you have any pictures of it loaded down?
[/quote]

No, now my truck is not any better or worse than any other good dodge CTD. I am very satisfied with it and as any of them will do, it does a great job towing. My plans for the stretch were for this spring but I have not gotten into it yet for many reasons, mostly had a heavy work schedule. It is getting stretched and a sleeper on it, will post pictures of the mod when it happens. I used to have a couple of loaded pictures of it on the board by the album deal has changed, will try to get a couple on again.

I have been getting a quote on the rails locally in the last couple of days. I don't want to just stretch the original frame using the same rear suspension, but will use heavier stuff probably air, takes some careful planning because of the 38" frame instead of a standard 34". The frame will be replaced from about the cab back. It also involves considerable reworking of the back of the cab for the sleeper entrance. That work I cannot do and will have to get done. Body work I do not do, never did.

Old men don't get in a big hurry, and that I am not, hurry that is, old I am.
Old 07-29-2003, 10:43 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

'Till the wheels fall off? Or the body rusts out. I don't know if I'll live long enough to wear the engine out.

Someday I might find a truck with the perfect blue I want, like RattlinRam's, and I'll get that, but otherwise, I like what I have and will keep it a LONG LONG time.
Let's put it this way, I still have the first truck I ever bought, an 82 F150, rust and all. Had it for 15 years now. :P
I am now looking for another Dodge, prefferably a 12v, that can replace the F150.

And I never thought I'd own a Dodge...... :

Chris
Old 07-29-2003, 11:51 PM

i have been back and forth on buying a 03 or an 04 prior to egr . but im having a really hard time getting rid of my truck its been by far the best truck ive ever had . the harder i run it the better it runs

Quick Reply: How long are you going to keep your truck?