2nd Gen. Dodge Ram - No Drivetrain Discussion for all Dodge Rams from 1994 through 2002. Please, no engine or drivetrain discussion.

HID Lights from eBay

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2007, 07:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HID Lights from eBay

I need to change my headlights housings and was looking into either the projection lenses on eBay or might go with the HID setups on eBay. I would much rather go with the HID stuff.

Does anyone have any experience with these lights? I've searched around and found various posts about the projection lights but not a lot on the HID kits that include the new headlight housing (vs just buying the HD lights and putting them into existing housings).

Any informations is appreciated. I am looking at the kits that are $200 - $300 dollars but I am not afraid to spend more. All the kits mention the 6000k lights that are used.

Thanks
Old 11-25-2007, 08:10 AM

I bought my kit on EBAY, I wired in a resistor so the trucks lights wont flash and put them in the stock housing. Looks and works great.
Old 11-25-2007, 09:31 AM

Originally Posted by DrewGzy
All the kits mention the 6000k lights that are used.
I'd highly recommend staying away from anything higher than 5000K (Kelvin). The closest to pure white light is 4300K, as you go to a higher kelvin you are getting into the blue and purple range so you'll be putting LESS light onto the road at that point. The factory HID's installed in luxury cars are all 4300K since that provides maximum light output. Here's a little chart to show you what I'm talking about:

John
Old 11-26-2007, 07:54 AM

Cool thanks for the information.

I need to replace my current headlight lenses (yellowish and scratched), so I don't want to put the HID lights into my current assembly.

I will try and find something a little less intense because I really don't like the blue headlight look of oncoming traffic; very annoying in my opinion.
Old 11-26-2007, 07:56 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i use 6000K its all white light but with a hint of blue. Remember the kits with ignitors are old technolodgy so stay away from those.
Old 11-26-2007, 09:09 AM
Chapter President

Unless you are set on HID, search for the "let there be light" thread for more ideas on bulbs and housings with keeping reqular halogen bulb.
Old 11-26-2007, 09:26 AM

Be careful with the housings...aftermarket housings tend to be cheaply made and not for HID conversions. Ask before you buy.
Old 11-26-2007, 05:34 PM

Originally Posted by Joe Diesel
i use 6000K its all white light but with a hint of blue. Remember the kits with ignitors are old technolodgy so stay away from those.
All HIDs have ignitors. Some are just built into the same case as the ballast so it looks like there's just one piece. With the ebay kits it's kind of a hit or miss. You either get a kit that works well and lasts a long time, or you get one that burns out within a year. There's so many brands now it's hard to tell. If you can get your hands on some OEM stuff, you can't go wrong. You just gotta solder whatever bulb connectors you use onto them.
Old 11-27-2007, 06:33 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by wcbcruzer
All HIDs have ignitors. Some are just built into the same case as the ballast so it looks like there's just one piece. With the ebay kits it's kind of a hit or miss. You either get a kit that works well and lasts a long time, or you get one that burns out within a year. There's so many brands now it's hard to tell. If you can get your hands on some OEM stuff, you can't go wrong. You just gotta solder whatever bulb connectors you use onto them.
yup thats what I ment old kits have the ignitors as a seperate unit, from my research & experience the best ballasts are Hella and the best bulbs are Phillips (if you can find them)
Old 11-27-2007, 06:57 PM

I don't think they are HID, but has anyone had any experience with the projector beam headlights that puredieselpower.com sells? I was looking into getting these, but I'm worried about them being cheaply constructed and don't want something that has poor lighting either.