2nd Gen. Dodge Ram - No Drivetrain Discussion for all Dodge Rams from 1994 through 2002. Please, no engine or drivetrain discussion.

Help to new diesel owner!

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2003, 01:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help to new diesel owner!

Howdy folks. I'm getting ready to purchase my first diesel here in the next couple of days. Always wanted to get a cummins but never had the resources to do so until recently (college ain't all great! ha). Quite a few of my family and friends own Dodge's with Cummins in them, but there are a few things that I'm not all up to date on (with diesels in general). Hopefully you all can add some insight into some of the questions I have without giving me too much of a hard time about being a newbie!

This is what I'm getting:
2001 Dodge 2500 Cummins Turbo STL Laramie 5 spd
All options - leather, wood trim, etc
Quad Cab
Pillar gauge cluster
4" exhaust - all the way
Bully Dog 5 stage power chip
Cowl induction hood
CB
Nerf Bars
Truck box
and a bunch of other, some performace, some looks - it's late, my mind is blanking out.

What kind of performance in the mud and snow can I expect with this diesel? Not sure how they handle mud and snow. I'm used to driving Toyota 4x4s (don't laugh) so there's obviously a huge difference.

With stock rims (for now) what are the largest tires the truck with accomodate without rubbing or lifting?

This may sound dumb, but what kind of cool can I add to this truck for looks and performace that won't cost a massive fortune. I'm getting a great deal on the truck I believe (17000), so I'll have some cash left over after purchase. I'm wanting to put a sprayed in bed liner. Also looking at a topper, but don't want to lose the look of no topper . . . yet DO NOT want a tonneau (sp?) cover (as the name implies, I'm a duck hunter and the dog box and decoy bags become an issue). Any comments or opinions?

Thanks a lot for any comments you all might have. Can't wait to get the truck. Feels like Christmas! Seems like a good and knowledgeable bunch of folks on here, I think I'll learn a lot.

Thomas
Old 10-22-2003, 02:31 AM

Re:Help to new diesel owner!

Hey, welcome Thomas!

We are all noobies at some point

One thing I feel you should be made aware of (and you may know this already) is that your pending purchase will probably not go in places your toy would/will go. That big ol power plant makes these trucks very heavy and really prone to sinking/cutting in when off road.
I haven't driven mine in the snow and ice yet so I can't comment on that but have been off road and found that ya have to watch where ya go

I run LT30570R16's and they rub a little when turning tight.

As for "cool crap" my next thing will probably be one of those Stainless steel bug shields to match the stainless rock gaurds along the sides...(see sig)

Sounds like your getting a dandy truck that someone took a lot of pride in.

Have Fun!

Old 10-22-2003, 07:34 AM

Get sand bags! With the power/low end torque of these trucks wheel spin and sliding around corners will be more apparent than in your Toy. Plus it'll ride a little smoother. These are nose heavy trucks. I'm running 285's on my truck now, no rubbing and I've got plenty of room around them. Roughly the same height as 305's, just a tad narrower. I've got a Line-X liner and Leer top, love the liner, the top is just so I can still use the bed in the winter.(Which is most of the year up here!) Have fun and good luck!
Old 10-22-2003, 08:15 AM

you will do fine in the snow and mud. I only got mine stuck once in ice, off of the road in a two foot deep trench with about 2 feet of snow on top of the ice. Other than that, no problems. sounds like a great deal on the truck. good luck.
-Jason
Old 10-22-2003, 10:14 AM

Thanks a lot for the comments guys, keep them coming!

I know the diesels are some big creatures . . . that's one of the reasons that I wanted one! The Toys will go dang near anywhere. Only had one stuck of the three that I've owned. They didn't do too well pulling stuff or driving up hills on the highway, but I think I'll have the problem taken care of with this truck and chip

Let's hear about some other cool cosmetic and performace upgrades that you all have done, seen or want to do!

Thomas
Old 10-22-2003, 10:37 AM

[quote author=dcwm link=board=5;threadid=21275;start=0#msg199586 date=1066807901]
As for "cool crap" my next thing will probably be one of those Stainless steel bug shields to match the stainless rock gaurds along the sides...(see sig)
[/quote]
I like my SS bug guard
https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...6&pid=2865

https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...6&pid=2866
Old 10-22-2003, 02:12 PM

cosmetics:
I liked my billet grille when it was new, not so much now. I removed all factory badges and molding (on doors, tailgate and the slt emblems on the rear of the cab), chromed stainless steel nerf bars (great looking and easy to clean), diamond plate tailgate protector, had stainless steel bed caps (took them off), tool box, vent shades (gotta have these!!!!), and a bunch of other stuff. Performance mods will take us all too long to discuss. The point is, make your truck look the way you want it to. Don't let anyone else tell you what looks good.
-Jason
Old 10-22-2003, 09:59 PM

STACKS!
Old 10-23-2003, 12:59 AM

[quote author=dodgeman01 I like my SS bug guard
https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...6&pid=2865

https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...6&pid=2866
Lookin good dodgeman01......those stacks make a lot of racket in the cab? I would love to do this but am afraid of making a BIG mistake, making traveling miserable for the family.
Old 10-23-2003, 03:56 AM

If you are planning to play off road much get a good set of tires with some meat on them. With the weight of these trucks tires will make a hudge difference on where you will go and where you won't. I like my BFG MT's they really go when you need them to. I also recommend a good set of Husky floor liners for the front as well, these will keep all the mud and snow off the carpet and keep the interior looking nice. Might as well get a set of seat covers as well to go with those Husky liners. I have the Mopar seat covers and they are great, really have saved my seats. In 5 years the seats look brand new. 8)

This is what mine looks like after 5 years of use.

DB

Old 10-23-2003, 04:52 AM

[quote author=DeereDiesel link=board=5;threadid=21275;start=0#msg200095 date=1066877994]
STACKS!
[/quote]

Yes, what he said, STACKS!.........also ...Duckhunter, how many miles on this truck, just curious ..Good Luck
Old 10-23-2003, 12:14 PM

The truck has a little over 100K, which is high for an '01, obviously, but the truck was used for hauling highway miles on I70 between St. Louis and KC. For some reason the guy wants a stroker now, and he also wants a crew cab (full 4 doors) for his family.

Thomas
Old 10-23-2003, 12:54 PM
DPG

Duck Hunter, welcome to the site! You ought to cruise through the member photos section to pick up ideas for the exterior of your new toy.

DeWain
Old 10-23-2003, 01:05 PM

While stacks and grille inserts and all that stuff is cool, don't forget the basics. Unless you have a really good and trust worthy history (only trust receipts-talk is cheap), you need to give the truck a good once over.

Thinks to check or change (and I'm sure I'll miss a bunch) are: Brakes, tranny fluid, engine oil and filter, fuel filter and pre-filter screen, when was the rubber fuel lines changed (if changed), rear diff fluid, wheel bearings, u-joints, coolant, etc. Front suspension components, shocks, valve adjustment, how does the power steering fluid and brake fluid look? If funky, time for a change.

As they say an ounce of prevention... Going through the truck like this also gives you a chance to get to know it and familiarize yourself with the vehicle.

I wouldn't worry about the amount of miles, especially if its highway miles. Remember, it's not the miles but the hours the engine has logged. Hope this helps, Kevin
Old 10-24-2003, 06:52 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Decent backup lights, if it doesn't have them already. I had my tractor lights on about a week after I bought the truck. Here's a link to a pic of how the tractor lights look on my truck:

http://jimpointeronline.homestead.com/files/rear2.jpg

I wouldn't worry too much about snow here in Missouri. It'll handle anything we're likely to get around here just fine, even without weight in the back. Some sort of high idler, either the low tech options of a piece of dowel cut to fit or the Barjan throttle stick, or spend $200 and get the fancy electronic one.

Quick Reply: Help to new diesel owner!