2nd Gen. Dodge Ram - No Drivetrain Discussion for all Dodge Rams from 1994 through 2002. Please, no engine or drivetrain discussion.

Heater in side view mirror not working again.

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2003, 12:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Heater in side view mirror not working again.

My passenger side just went, anyone ever take one of these apart to try and fix. I know they are expensive and I'm sure my warrenty won't cover it now. I haven't come accross a site that talks about these. Has anyone else???

Steve
Old 10-14-2003, 01:05 PM

Re:Heater in side view mirror not working again.

Shouldn't be hard to check and possibly fix. I will check my books later and get back to you with a fix. I would think it is a low resistance(kinda like a window defogger). May have a bad connection, bad fuse or malfunctioning switch. I will get you the pin outs and resistance values later this evening. Help is on the way steve!
Old 10-14-2003, 08:06 PM

Steve, I have stuck my foot in thy mouth. My books don't show heated mirrors. I would like you to take a look at the mirror assembly and the eletrical connectors. I believe you hace motorized mirrors too right and so you should have 2 motors(1 for up/down, 1 for left/right). Should be 2 or three leads going to each motor from the adjustment switch. I believe the heaters are on a differnet ckt and cable from its own switvh. You should be able to check power out in the mirror provided from the switch. You should also be able to read the resistance of the heating ellement(disconnevt from switch before taking the resistance reading. If you look at the fuse for the heater and then apply some math, we can guesstuhmate the resistance value. E(Volts-12 of those ;D) divided by R(ohms- not sure yet) equals the I(amps=size of fuse). You know the E and the I (amps, approximately anyway), so we need to figure for R(ohms). Take 12 divided by the fuse size and then take away a little for internal resistance of the ckt and we have R of the heating element. I am used to teaching this stuff to young people and hope it dosn't sound to kiddish or over simplified.
Old 10-15-2003, 10:01 AM

Thanks for the advice it's definitly the right way I should be looking at it. Any idea on how to get the mirror out, I'm assuming it pulls straight out, but if I'm wrong it could be an expensive mistake. I won't have a chance to do this till the weekend but I'll let you know how things go. Thanks again.

Steve
Old 10-15-2003, 04:08 PM

I have not had the pleasure of taking this type of mirror apart. The electrical connector isn't to hard to get to or the bolts that hold the mirror to the truck. They are accessed by removing the interior molding up by the mirror. You will be able to see how to do this when you look at the door panel from the inside and under the mirror brackets. Not sure about the mirror itself. Sorry :-[
Old 10-17-2003, 06:13 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Guys I just changed the mirror glass in both sides of mine. It is a 98, but I imagine that they would be similar. By the way, I've got power and heat. Just edge your fingers behind the glass on either side and apply firm pressure. Glass pops out. On mine the OEM had a little plastic ring that engaged the mount. The replacements came from the dealer and were "better" looking as to strength. Each mirror had two tiny spade connectors for the heat. Total time for both was about 10 minutes. Cost was about $68.00. Dealer had them in stock.
Ed
Old 10-20-2003, 12:41 AM

[quote author=sherod link=board=5;threadid=20967;start=0#msg197957 date=1066389217]
Each mirror had two tiny spade connectors for the heat. Ed
[/quote]

I have the same problem with the heater, are you saying that the heating element is an internal part of the mirror? I was kinda hoping I could fix with out replacing the mirror.

I haven't even looked into it yet, guess I need to since winter is creeping in.